Author Topic: Cheap Ice Rod Case  (Read 1492 times)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Cheap Ice Rod Case
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 12:10 PM »
To make a good cheap & light rod case get 3 or 4 golf bag tubes at Wally World .64 cents each and tape them together. Now your rods wont get broken or tangeled together, It will fit in your rovers or fish traps.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Cheap Ice Rod Case
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:32 PM »
More bang for your buck if you get the plastic rifle case and cut slots in foam for rod handles. My 7 buck cheapie holds
6-7 rods. Bugs the crap out of CPO's on firearm free lakes too.   Doesn't fit in the new Eskimo very well though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2004, 05:28 PM »
PVC pipe works well too.  I cut slots for the reel bases to slide in and protect the entire rod.  One problem though, at first I tried to insert fully rigged rods in them.  Problem is that the line if the line isn't taught, then the line comes out and tangles.  If it's taught, then when you slide the rod/reel in, the line pulls the rod tip inside the tube too much and busts off the rod tips.  I lost 2 rods that way before I figured out why they were breaking.  So, now I use the rod tubes but only on rods not rigged.  Poses me a problem for my tightline rigs though because they are a pain in the butt to rig.  So, I'm working on a solution.  I like the rifle case idea.  I'm going to tinker with different cases and containers to come up with something that I can use in my fish trap.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2004, 06:21 PM »
This is my solution.
1 1/2" pvc, 12" bungi cord, 2 end caps About $2.50 each
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2004, 06:39 PM »
rg, we think alike!  My solution very similar to yours except I don't use the end caps...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

P Gottshall

Re: Cheap Ice Rod Case
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:14 AM »
Hey RG,

Dug up this old post.  Could you re-post your pic's?  I'd love to see your idea.

Thx,
Paul

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cheap Ice Rod Case
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:39 AM »
I get the 5 gal bucket tool pouch with pockets that wrap around the side at Lowes or Home Depot. Put the rods in there. I have noticed these d*** rod cases cost more than the rods, unless you get Thorne Bros rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.