Author Topic: Wouldn't this be naughty?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wouldn't this be naughty?
« on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:23 PM »
My biggest pond on my property I drained down recently and what fish I didn't salvage I killed off with rotenone. It's now filling back up, but there are no fish in the pond right now. I have several friends that I've been out of contact with that like to ice fish, that wouldn't know I've drained the pond, killed the fish, and refilled the pond. I thought I'd invite them to do some ice fishing later on although there are no fish in the pond.  >:D >:D >:D

Here's the pond as it fills back up.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wouldn't this be naughty?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2007, 06:40 AM »
Should have took the time to add some structure while it was empty. Bolt together some old tires about 2 or three layers high with stainless steel bolts. Works great as fish attractors. Thats what the DNR uses around here.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Should have took the time to add some structure while it was empty. Bolt together some old tires about 2 or three layers high with stainless steel bolts. Works great as fish attractors. Thats what the DNR uses around here.

I had structure in the pond and took it out.  Makes it hard to seine if necessary. Since I raise fish for Bass Pro Shops aquariums and other taxidermists I want the option of seining if hook and line doesn't remove enough fish.

Good idea if it was recreational pond though.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:46 AM »
You should stock the bottom of the pond with fake plastic toy fish. Then when they catch one, you could mount it for them. ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:27 AM »
You should stock the bottom of the pond with fake plastic toy fish. Then when they catch one, you could mount it for them. ;D

Now you're giving me more devious ideas.  >:D How about replica of the world record bluegill?  Suspend it just off the bottom and set my Ice shanty above it. And of course tell them I saw a monster bluegill down there earlier but couldn't catch it.  Since my water is crystal clear in the pond... well you know the rest of the story.

Of course the fiberglass replica will have to be chained to the bottom so there is no way they can get it up!  ;D

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:37 AM »
That would be funny. Put a couple of them down there for a little school of the little record breakers.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:32 PM »
I would pay a diver to go down with a short 4" perch. Have him grab the line and start pulling fast. Then I would have him come up towards the hole. While your friend was looking down the hole, I would have the diver shove his arm up through the hole and grab your buddy!

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:14 PM »
Though it is probably illegal where you live.  Catch one massive pike, and just let it cruise through the pond this winter.  Add some minnows in to make sure it is always there.
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Put a scarecrow or dummy dressed in street clothes down there and let your buddy find it with the Aqua-Vu!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Though it is probably illegal where you live.  Catch one massive pike, and just let it cruise through the pond this winter.  Add some minnows in to make sure it is always there.

Not illegal but that would be the last thing I would put in my pond!  :o

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:13 PM »
I hope not to many people use that pier at once or else they might end up with da fishes. ;D
Steve

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Put a scarecrow or dummy dressed in street clothes down there and let your buddy find it with the Aqua-Vu!

rofl this one would be hilarious!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2007, 09:18 PM »
I'm curious as to why you drained it?  Always like to learn new stuff.  How do you go about draining it?  Pull the plug (joke), big pumps?  How long did it take to pump it off?  How do you fill it back up?

Thanks

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:04 PM »
I hope not to many people use that pier at once or else they might end up with da fishes. ;D

I've had four or five people on there at once with no problems.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:11 PM »
I'm curious as to why you drained it?  Always like to learn new stuff.  How do you go about draining it?  Pull the plug (joke), big pumps?  How long did it take to pump it off?  How do you fill it back up?

Thanks

Weeds were getting out of hand, bluegills that were not on feed and under 4 inches stunted, and the pond is 12 years old. Needed to start all over.  Also needed to remove all the smallmouth for Bass Pro Shops. I have 50 to almost 3 lbs. in a holding pond.

I'm propogating my perch and bluegills in separate ponds and will restock with only male feed trained bluegills and female yellow perch. This will allow me to grow some monsters without the worry of too many mouths to feed and subsequent stunting. The male bluegills are the fastest growers ultimately and the largest bluegills, and the likewise with the female perch.

Used a trash pump I bought at tractor supply that pumps about 150 gallons per minute. Estimated the volume of the pond at 1,000,000 gallons (.62 acre 150 by 200 feet) and it took about 10 days to mostly drain. It will take me 2 weeks to refill with overflow from my trout pond. (45 gpm) 

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:40 PM »
I would suspect you own a fish farm of some sort?    Between the trout pond and other assorted items. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2007, 08:57 PM »
I would suspect you own a fish farm of some sort?    Between the trout pond and other assorted items. 

Well sort of. Not a full fledged fish farm yet although I have four ponds and would like to add two more by next spring. I have found a niche market growing out feed trained brook and brown trout, bass, yellow perch and bluegill to trophy size, that I so far I have purchased from other fish farmers as fingerlings. I hope to start producing my own perch, bluegill, and smalmouth bass next spring.

I have been selling them frozen to other fish taxidermists, as there is a demand due to the fact the the sale of public caught fish for the most part -- with some exceptions -- is illegal. I was contacted by Bass Pro Shops this spring, and sold them some large live perch for their aquariums. Since there are very few fish farms that actually grow out fish to trophy size other than broodstock, I am now pursuing that niche market too.

Unfortunately not all is good thanks to the Federal Government. This spring I had to sacrifice more fish than I sold to Bass Pro Shops to test for VHS just to make the sale. Fortunately I still did well, but when you have to kill 48 beautiful healthy monster yellow perch to sell 39, something isn't right with the government's thinking. Additonally I have 50 smallmouth to just under 3 lbs. that they want, but the way the regs are right now regarding the VHS testing, I would have to kill 48 of them must to sell them two. Ain't gonna happen. I will be producing enough fish in the future to make it work. I swear though there are times when I think the government's sole purpose is to stifle commerce.

I have a website here:

http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:32 PM »

Reminds me of a story a co-worker told me of one of his past canoe trips with his brother to Algonquin park.  On their way to their next campsite and moving thru some shallows they came upon an "old man" rubber halloween mask nailed onto a submerged log... wirey grey hair was flowing under the water and his brother at the front of the canoe leapt out, scared out of his wits! I think I'd crap my pants coming across something like that too... :laugh:

taxiderm, what's wrong with the pike idea?  Afraid you wouldn't be able to get the fish out in time before restocking in the spring?  Or ya just not a big fan of pike??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:41 PM »
I swear though there are times when I think the government's sole purpose is to stifle commerce.

I hear ya,    good luck on the business....   Hopefully it gets really moving for you.

You could always get a shark or two in your pond, just salt it up a bit. I know I would pay a healthy amount for a crack at a Hammerhead through the ice, not sure what size hole I would need though?????

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:57 PM »

taxiderm, what's wrong with the pike idea?  Afraid you wouldn't be able to get the fish out in time before restocking in the spring?  Or ya just not a big fan of pike??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don

Yes, it might be tough to get him out. I had smallmouth this year that were only caught and released one time this spring when we were taking out yellow perch via hook and line. Guess what? Couldn't hardly catch them again even with live bait! Smallies must be smarter than largemouths.

Also with the VHS threat it would be a gamble to put in any wild caught fish.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:23 PM »
Taxi how would ya get it there, do you have a transportation lis. I assume that ya do!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Taxi how would ya get it there, do you have a transportation lis. I assume that ya do!

The pike? I'm not sure what you mean? I do have a fish haulers and suppliers permit. We are still allowed to plant wild caught fish in private ponds here in Indiana and I can even use them for broodfish. Personally I think that should no longer be allowed due to the threat of VHS that is spreading. Since most private ponds overflow into watersheds it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Skipper only you would think of that! ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.