Author Topic: Tungsten Jig Head - what do you put on it?  (Read 1461 times)

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tungsten Jig Head - what do you put on it?
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Got my first few tungsten jig heads. Do you guys add plastics to them, just spikes or something else?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Tungsten Jig Head - what do you put on it?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Run the gambit...gota give them what they want when they want it.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Also change up the size of the jig....size can matter.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Thanks Matt and Diehard! Do summer plastics work or is there a special make for the hardwater? Just getting into jogging after spending my first 5 years walking on water only fishing tipups

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:12 AM »

A lot of new to tungsten anglers ...tend to use the same physical size as they did with lead ..as tungsten is denser.. down size some ...when fishing shallow tungsten can shine cause it can get past the ice/slush in the hole ..the ice/slush disperses some light ...down side the rate of fall can be different/faster...meaning less time in the strike zone ...so not a cure all but a tool...great for tight lining ..I tend to fish from the top down ..especially in shallow water...but in deeper water I still fish from top down ...but watch the bottom ...if I see that screen flicker..fish getting excited ..it game on..then its all about presenting them what they want ...on another note those new Z alloy sppons ..which I believe are aluminum ...are lighter...in shallow water I love them ...some kick out some covering a lot of water...one again a tool not a cure all...in shallow water they will go of screen ..so be prepared.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:27 AM »
You've got to use ice plastic,Ratso's,Clam Maki,make some good one Spiki,Jamei,Polli,Maki. Little a Atom,Contraband plastics, Bro blood worms,Trigger X.  Fishing plastic is finesse fishing,keep your bait gentle moving, watch your Vex or any machine you use. Watch how fish reacts to your presentation. Do they chase,do they dash off the screen,do they want it on a controlled drop. It's a blast,don't get me wrong I still use bait and never am without it but most days it stays in my pocket. Once you master it you'll never go back. Only one thing that's more fun sight fishing with plastic.lol

Offline Crazy-EYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Little atom nuggies

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I've heard size matters  :roflmao:

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:11 AM »
I like using spikes. Small, tough, and usually last 4-6 fish. I also use wax worms. Heck, I’ve even rigged a 2” minnow on a 5mm jig (nothing hit it, fishing blind at the time). I haven’t had much luck with plastics (I was still fishing blind at the time, no flasher then) but I know lots of guys do great with them. For plastics though, I use VMC Mustache Worm and Nymph Tail under a float in the summer and nail em all day. My confidence isn’t as high when it comes to ice fishing them. Since this will be my 3rd season with my flasher, it would be nice to revisit plastics this season.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:19 AM »
I like using spikes. Small, tough, and usually last 4-6 fish. I also use wax worms. Heck, I’ve even rigged a 2” minnow on a 5mm jig (nothing hit it, fishing blind at the time). I haven’t had much luck with plastics (I was still fishing blind at the time, no flasher then) but I know lots of guys do great with them. For plastics though, I use VMC Mustache Worm and Nymph Tail under a float in the summer and nail em all day. My confidence isn’t as high when it comes to ice fishing them. Since this will be my 3rd season with my flasher, it would be nice to revisit plastics this season.
.         Got my buddy using them this year after a couple years using both, and I told him the only way he will learn to “master” them is leave the live bait home. He has this year and has showed me a couple messes he caught and thanked me for turning him on to them. He only used to use them when biting like crazy. But uses all time now. CONFIDENCE is the name of the game !!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Wax worms, I am currently searching for the best way to hook on a wax worm. If anyone has links or pictures that might help all of us

thanks

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Wax worms, I am currently searching for the best way to hook on a wax worm. If anyone has links or pictures that might help all of us

thanks

https://www.fieldandstream.com/15-essential-bait-rigs#page-15

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:34 PM »
good info - thanks

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Depends on how you wiggle it  ;D
Bud

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:59 PM »
I used the 1 inch gulp minnows........gulp minnow heads also work.....just about everything works unless its the  color of the jighead

Offline ticktoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I use either wax worms or maggots. I’ve caught gills, perch, bass, and catfish

Offline Billy Strings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Fish naked.  No meat needed with the right jig and knowing how to work it work it work it.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:27 PM »
It depends on what you are trying to catch, what size fish is below and what bait/lure you will be using.

I use axis, dillies, small shines and some small plastics with success.

Heck, today I fished a pond in 10' of water with 1/8 oz. jig with wax worms or red wigglers and was catching hand-sized sunfish, medium sized perch and a couple of 2 lb. bass.

Having a flasher does help, but knowing how to work the jig is more important. It will help when you are fishing "blind".
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.