Author Topic: Turtles Under Ice  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Fishing Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Turtles Under Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Do you need a license take turtles in MA because I would like to try it.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Don't they have laws against everthing that's fun in the northeast?  The oldtimers
used to have a running gag that revolved around cleaning turtles.  If you asked them
how to clean a turtle they would take an axe, a hatchet, and a fillet knife and clean
your turtle.  The only drawback was they kept the meat as the fee for your lesson.
They only had to show me once.  The instructions Mac posted is pretty much it except they left out the most important part in my opinion.  When you cut the head
off nail it to a board and don't throw it into a bucket as they suggest.  A snapper's
head will latch on to your dog's nose hours after it has been severed.  Sounds funny
but it's really not.  Parrboiled till falling apart the meat can be barbequed or used
in almost anything.  As far as eating clams goes they have a funny smell but once you get it past your nose ya got it licked.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Do you need a license take turtles in MA because I would like to try it.
"Bullfrog, Green frog, Snapping Turtle - No license required". Taken from the Ma. web page

Offline yak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:38 PM »
record-snapper supposedly came out of lake rohunta, orange mass. I think I read it was a world record. about 90 lb. 5-6 years ago.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #34 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:46 PM »
record-snapper supposedly came out of lake rohunta, orange mass. I think I read it was a world record. about 90 lb. 5-6 years ago.
The Alligator Snapping turtle is the largest fresh water turtle in the world with the record weight being 219 pounds (99.3 kg). This turtle could do a lot more damage to a human than the Common Snapping turtle.
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.