Author Topic: A few questions on Vexilar original FL-8  (Read 833 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A few questions on Vexilar original FL-8
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Been using a 9 degree transducer but have a 12 degree I just found in storage. Good grief I forgot all the stuff I had in the closet! Anyway, I seem to remember it came with the 12 degree, but the 9 degree works best for watching my jig ice fishing ? Am I right?

I know I could just switch and see what the difference is but I'm not on the ice right now.

I'm only fishing in 8 1/2 to 9 feet of water in a pond and the all the fish seem to be just off bottom. I can see my jig on the Vex as a green mark, and typically the bottom red mark gets wider up to the jig interspersed with some orange when a bite is imminent. Would I get an even better reading with an "s cable" at that depth?

Which transducer do you use?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A few questions on Vexilar original FL-8
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:33 PM »
in that shallow of water it won't make that much of a difference. the rule of thumb is a 9 degree will give you a coverage area of 1/6 your depth and a 12 degree will give you a 1/5 of the depth coverage and the 19 degree will give a 1/3 the depth coverage area. so at 9 feet 9 would be 1.5 ft coverage 12 would be 1.8 ft and 19 would be 3 ft. this is not exact as sound waves travel all directions.  I my self prefer the 12 degree.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:56 PM »
in that shallow of water it won't make that much of a difference. the rule of thumb is a 9 degree will give you a coverage area of 1/6 your depth and a 12 degree will give you a 1/5 of the depth coverage and the 19 degree will give a 1/3 the depth coverage area. so at 9 feet 9 would be 1.5 ft coverage 12 would be 1.8 ft and 19 would be 3 ft. this is not exact as sound waves travel all directions.  I my self prefer the 12 degree.

Thank you!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Taxi1 Go to the Vexilar Website they have all your answers.
Good Luck.
Oops! is too late.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! I just ordered one from FishUSA.com. The use of Pay Pal vs. C.C. closed the deal!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I've only had my S-cable hooked up a couple times on mine. If I knew then what I do now I never would have wasted my money on it.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:05 PM »
I've only had my S-cable hooked up a couple times on mine. If I knew then what I do now I never would have wasted my money on it.

NBG
     What was it you didn't like about the S cable? and would you like to trade it to me for a different piece of gear?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Shallow and weedy use the s-cable.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:28 PM »

NBG

How deep of water do you typically fish?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.