Author Topic: tung. vs. lead in restricted states  (Read 987 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
tung. vs. lead in restricted states
« on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:27 AM »
more ,n, more states are going lead-free for fishing, so ,my q. is how do you (or DEC) tell what your jigs are made with, tung. or lead? i have 3 flambeau fly boxes full of what i KNOW is tung, but have others with possibly mixed jigs, ,n, looking for a way to tell 1 from the other.please help. thanks wire

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
Re: tung. vs. lead in restricted states
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Lead is softer so it will dent easier.  That being said.  If you don't know if it is lead or tungsten, it is 99% probably lead.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:47 AM »
i know whats lead in my ice tackle box and don't like using any of it mainly because they are vertical and larger wire hooks. the eye you tie onto is huge compared to tungsten and the paint is applied more carelessly

hook wire size. lead ones have larger wires used
you know when you buy them, three times more expensive and says so
the weight of them
jig shape, the way the metal is attached to the hook
scratch test
dent test
metal detector

maybe they will carry some thing to tell them what you are using or they will use the honor system

easiest way will be to outlaw lead tackle to be sold to that state or in it. when your supplies deplete, no replacement lead jigs

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Is there a fine if your in a no lead state and using lead? How much is it? I have been wondering if theres a fine.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:15 AM »
i,d almost bet theres a fine. always is ,imo. also worried about confiscation of equiptment or maybe vehicle since i,d be non-res. looking for a surefire way to do this without de-faceing or destroying jigs. also ,does anyone know what hali sukkula is made of? thanks. wire

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:19 PM »
i,d almost bet theres a fine. always is ,imo. also worried about confiscation of equiptment or maybe vehicle since i,d be non-res. looking for a surefire way to do this without de-faceing or destroying jigs. also ,does anyone know what hali sukkula is made of? thanks. wire
sukkula jigs are lead. easiest way to tell is by grabbing a lead jig of known weight and start picking up all of your jigs with similar sized heads and heads that are smaller and right away you can pick out the tungsten ones. tungsten is about twice as dense as lead so you will be able to tell just by the weight in your hand.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2014, 01:02 PM »
more ,n, more states are going lead-free for fishing, so ,my q. is how do you (or DEC) tell what your jigs are made with, tung. or lead? i have 3 flambeau fly boxes full of what i KNOW is tung, but have others with possibly mixed jigs, ,n, looking for a way to tell 1 from the other.please help. thanks wire

You mentioned DEC, did you mean NYSDEC (NY State DEC)? 

If so, the only law in NYS regarding lead weights right now is in regards to their sale and not use or posession: 

New York State passed legislation that will prohibit the sale of certain lead sinkers. Beginning in May 2004, the sale of lead fishing sinkers (including "split shot") weighing one-half ounce or less will not be permitted.

The new legislation (Environmental Conservation Law, Section 11-0308) regarding the ban of sale of small lead fishing sinkers states:

S 11-0308.* Sale of small lead fishing sinkers prohibited.

No person shall sell at retail or offer for retail sale lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less. Each day of sale or offering for sale shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
"sinker" shall mean any device that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line. Such term shall not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
"sell at retail" or "retail sale" shall mean the sale to any person in the state for any purpose other than for resale.
The department shall provide notice of the prohibition of the retail sale or offering for sale of lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less in the state fishing regulations guide.
* NB Effective since May 7, 2004

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9223.html

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Anybody know of other states?

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 04:30 PM »
New York State passed legislation that will prohibit the sale of certain lead sinkers. Beginning in May 2004, the sale of lead fishing sinkers (including "split shot") weighing one-half ounce or less will not be permitted.

The new legislation (Environmental Conservation Law, Section 11-0308) regarding the ban of sale of small lead fishing sinkers states:

S 11-0308.* Sale of small lead fishing sinkers prohibited.

No person shall sell at retail or offer for retail sale lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less. Each day of sale or offering for sale shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
"sinker" shall mean any device that is designed to be attached to a fishing line and intended to sink the line. Such term shall not include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
"sell at retail" or "retail sale" shall mean the sale to any person in the state for any purpose other than for resale.
The department shall provide notice of the prohibition of the retail sale or offering for sale of lead fishing sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less in the state fishing regulations guide.
* NB Effective since May 7, 2004

Are they Serious ? How can you only use Sinkers Over 1/2 Once..  Float Drift Fishing is out altogether.. 

They are Banning the weights nothing in this about Lead..   I thought New York had great Trout Streams, I guess they want Fly only like they did up here in the best water.. 

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2014, 05:19 PM »
What an additional crock of Bovine Squatosis! This in addition to our federal steel shot regulation for waterfowl to prevent lead poisoning, last time I checked lead came out of the earth, this brilliant law creates 10 x the number of mortally wounded waterfowl that are eventually lost / not recovered.  50 mile radius for the transportation of firewood, like this will do one iota to stop the emerald ash bore.  10 day receipts to make sportsman pay for minnows, all to stop VHS, like any effective % of store purchased minnows have really been tested and are safe from VHS, SAFE Act and now lead sinker ban???  are you kidding me? give me a break!  Is it any wonder why our kids are leaving this state like it's on fire?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:43 PM »
buy the biggest sinkers you can and make your own small ones from them. must be a jig to pour lead into to make them.

they need to provide an inexpensive alternative if you can't buy them

buy tons now before you can't get them any more

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:02 PM »
buy the biggest sinkers you can and make your own small ones from them. must be a jig to pour lead into to make them.

they need to provide an inexpensive alternative if you can't buy them

buy tons now before you can't get them any more
x2

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2014, 08:50 PM »
i believe one of the new eng. states ( mass., n.h. maine has enacted a ban.  was not aware of n.y. ban, but that doesn,t exclude lead jigs, whereas the n.e. ban does, i believe. will someone from these states please respond ,n, help out a fellow i.s.er?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Lead jigs less than 1" and all lead split shot has been illegal in NH for a few years, in 2016 all my lead jigs will be illegal. Tin replacement split shot really sucks but most have switched to much more expensive tungsten for our panfish jigs. Enforcement has been pretty good so far with just warnings that I've heard about. This is in response to a half dozen annual loon fatalities out of the 650+ that spend 5-6 months a year in our state. 1% mortality and they rewrite the statutes making us criminals. Stupid birds, we had a dozen or so hang around too long and got frozen to death in the ice a few years back, but they those damn "Loonies" are organized and have a powerful lobby, unlike most sportsmen.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:13 AM »
scout, then shouldn,t the legislators pass a bill to outlaw ice thicker than , say 4 in. or ice of any bird threatening thickness from, say nov. ,til april. LOL. wire

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Feds have lead ban on waters in National Parks as well. We often use 2-3oz jigs for lake trout out here, 1-2oz very commonly. No birds going to be diving to 100-150 fow, or even 20', to eat those things. Stupidity reigns in government. Next we won't be able to drive into Parks with lead/acid batteries in our vehicles. It may have been OK for waterfowl hunting, but this is a ludicrous reg for you guys. Nothing under 1/2 oz, huh? I'd like to see the combination scale/ lead detector wardens will be packing. The issue thrives in states like California where they are trying to ban lead bullets so scavengers don't eat lead remaining in game carcasses. Good Grief!! Just another tool for the Anti-Everything "Tools".

Offline Doorbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:18 AM »
The NY ban only covers the SALE of lead sinkers inder1/2 oz.  Say's nothing about buying out of state and bringing them back, or casting your own. They way it is written you can legally buy online as well.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Since the melting point of tungsten is around 6,000° F the hook is usually soldered to the body.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Vermont has a lead ban on sinkers under 1/2oz.  Here is a copy of the wording :

As of January 1, 2007:
* It will be illegal to use lead sinkers weighing one-half ounce or less.
* This does not include lead weighted fly line, lead-core line, downrigger cannon balls,
weighted flies, lures, spoons or jig heads.

At least they were smart enough not to include jigs in the ban.  If a bird is going to swallow a jig head, it won't matter whether it is lead or not ... the bird is going to be HURTING!

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:42 AM »
I don't understand what their worried about, is it the lead in the water or them eating the sinkers, jigs, etc? There are far worse things that harm waterfowl, so why ridicule sportsmans that are actually helping to preserve an ecosystem, and have a better understanding of what is actually going on then any high paid professor that studied in California and got a degree in whether or not a freaking bird is going to eat a 1 ounce lead sinker laying on the bottom of a lake.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.