Author Topic: Two hand or One?  (Read 700 times)

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Two hand or One?
« on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Ok guys,I fish with 2 poles,one in each hand. Not one dead stick,but 2 poles,one in each hand. I have done this all my life. I tell my Son,God give me two hands for a reason,OK what better reason can you find. Two or one?
                                                                                               (fatfish)  Jerry

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Two hand or One?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:22 AM »
we do that sorta. we use the three legged ice folding ice chairs and duct tape rod holders to the legs and put two rods in them and rock the chair back and forth on slow days, with one in the hand.
one pond we used to fish until embridge oil company destroyed the water (zinn lake) and the fish in it, we could catch three at once easily and most of the time and it was a problem to try to figure out witch one to lift up first and which rod to set down and hope the fish doesn't pull it down the hole. advantage is, while you lay the fish on top of the ice they shake the bait out most of the time for ya.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:39 AM »
1 jig pole for me then 2 tipups or rattle reels

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2013, 09:51 AM »
I do the same thing. Last year I caught a fish on one and it wrapped around the other line. I thought I had 2 fish at first as I pulled up and the other rod tips down. Did this 2 times last year. It is just better to have them a little farther away from each other.
<===Lefty===

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:17 AM »
I run 2 poles all the time as well if I am after panfish.  Had a few times where I was landing 2 at once too!  if I am after pike, I go with one pole and 2 tip ups.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:49 AM »
I always run one rod in the hand and one in a rod holder or just one rod period.
I have lost rods down the hole before (did get it back though ) because I set my rod down and a fish took it.
The problem I have is when the fishing is hot it is not possible to run two rods at once anyway.
That and I need two hands to reel up fish on the primary rod I am holding.
So I vote for one rod in the hand at a time.
If I was going to run two I would be sure to have a good rod holder to put one rod in when I catch a fish on the other.
When a school of fish moves in often times both rods will go off at once or close to it.
How do you reel fish up with both hands full? If you set one down without a rod holder the odds are good another fish from the same school will steal the other rod.
So definetly one rod at a time for me.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:13 PM »
I've tried 2 at once, but my coordination just isn't there. So, one in hand, sometimes second one in rod holder.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2013, 12:41 PM »
How ever do you hold your beer?  ;D :tipup:

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2013, 02:11 PM »
2 hands if it's slow. When the perch are hot  1 keeps you busy enough.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Just one usually. 
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2013, 09:24 PM »
If the fish are hitting on the jigging motion than I'll jig both rods but more often than not my jigging rod will bring them in and they'll smack the dead stick 3 feet away.  You can see them quite often come onto the flasher on the jigging rod and then swim away and hammer the dead stick or you'll have one hit the jigging rod and the other hit the dead stick.  I'll tell you what, a double header 26" walleye is fun  ;D.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:08 PM »
since I jig exclusively, I use one pole and concentrate on that one alone. I always keep the bait moving and detect the bite by an erratic movement of the bobber. I have  tried 2 poles and lost a few down the hole and do not catch more fish with 2 so sticking with one works well. "Man cannot serve 2 poles"!

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:33 PM »
I usually use one pole in my hand and deadstick with another... although there are days when I just jig with one rod and have two tip-ups set up.
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:43 PM »
One jigging one dead stick
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.