Author Topic: Twisted line on spinning reels!  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Twisted line on spinning reels!
« on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Broke out all my ice rods today,most had new unused line on them,but pretty twisted.I have never been satisfied with any system/ tool that prevents line twist while respooling.Not saying there isn't a way(feel free to show if you know),but I've not been overly successfu.I have found only one way to respool with the least amount of twist.I tie the new line through my rod eyelets,and onto the reel.I then go out into the yard,stretch out the amount of line I will spool,clip on a small bobber and reel the line onto the reel,letting the bobber free bounce as it is reeled in.By doing this it prevents the line from twisting and the small bobber seems to keep the tension proper.I do this  a couple times a month with the line thats already on the reel to untwist the line memory.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Twisted line on spinning reels!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:45 PM »
weight and snap swivel and drop into ice hole.   ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2012, 04:01 PM »
That's what I do, Osage. I use a bell sinker and cast 'er way out. Usually, if I remember, I take them out that last boat trip of the year and run off half a spool behind the boat while trolling....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Jonebo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I sometimes take the spool of the reel and leave it soak in hot water in a pan for 10 minutes or so.This will take out the twist.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I use a good ball bearing swivel with a bell sinker on it then go cat fishing in the back yard. 2 or 3 casts and most of the twists are gone and usually catch a cat or 2.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:24 PM »
There are four ways to feed line from the spool to your reel. If you select the right one for your reel, it will solve most of the trouble instantly.

1) filler spool vertical, line off the top
2) filler spool vertical, line off the bottom
3) filler spool flat on the floor, rolling off clockwise
4) filler spool flat on the floor, rolling off counter clockwise

Find out what your reel likes

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:37 PM »
I just put new line on mine last week (Northland FluoroSilk) and while spooling the line, I would spray some silicone waterproofer (for boots) on my line every so often.  Fished with them the next day and the line didn't want to jump off the reel like it normally does after I first spool it.  Just a thought.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:37 AM »
There are four ways to feed line from the spool to your reel. If you select the right one for your reel, it will solve most of the trouble instantly.

1) filler spool vertical, line off the top
2) filler spool vertical, line off the bottom
3) filler spool flat on the floor, rolling off clockwise
4) filler spool flat on the floor, rolling off counter clockwise

Find out what your reel likes
Haha!I have tried all of those,none seem to work......could be I keep flipping the spool several time trying to find the sweet spot,by the time I'm done I'm pretty much stressed. :woot: :%$#!:

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:03 AM »
I sometimes take the spool of the reel and leave it soak in hot water in a pan for 10 minutes or so.This will take out the twist.

does this work? or does it damage the strength of the line?

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:12 AM »
That's what I do, Osage. I use a bell sinker and cast 'er way out. Usually, if I remember, I take them out that last boat trip of the year and run off half a spool behind the boat while trolling....

i do this also, but do it periodically throughout the year when i notice my line getting twisted. i normally dont have a problem getting it on the spool without twist, but after fishing a drop shot or jigging spoon, the line tends to really get twisted. another thing  have done is just let out aobut half a spool of line in the grass, and then reel it up between my fingers. the grass will take out the twists as well.
USE A BOBBER!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I just put new line on mine last week (Northland FluoroSilk) and while spooling the line, I would spray some silicone waterproofer (for boots) on my line every so often.  Fished with them the next day and the line didn't want to jump off the reel like it normally does after I first spool it.  Just a thought.
Do you still catch fish with that stuff on your line?
:icefish:

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:36 AM »
   Some guys spray wd40 on their bait...why not the line? works good for joint pain too. Good fishin!

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Lie spool flat on the floor. Mount reel on rod. Feed line through guides. Tie line on reel. Crank handle 10 times. Bring rod tip closer to the spool and see if it spins up into itself. If not keep reeling and fill spool. If it spins up into itself, flip spool over and reel the line on filling the spool. Don't keep flipping the spool just reel it on to 1/8" from edge of spool. This is for spinning reels.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Thats about it right there.... if it is still fighting you, consider dropping the reel off at goodwill.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Spinning reels twist line. It is built into the design.  Every time the bail goes around it throws another turn into the line.  Larger diameter spools reduce the problem as there is more line with every turn.  Tiny reels are the worst offenders.  Cranking the handle as the fish is running line out is a large contribution to the problem.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:38 AM »
NEVER reel against a fish taking drag..

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Old line:I put a small nail on the side of a tree,put a swivel on my line,walk back 30ft and reel in.

New line:Nail spool to side of tree,walk back 30ft or so,reel til full,set rod down,cut line at spool,
cast small sinker in yard a few times. ;)
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:17 AM »
does this work? or does it damage the strength of the line?

Most lines needs a little water soak to loosen up.  Hot/warm water makes the line soak up faster.  Then again cold will stiffen the line up. 

Personally  I wouldn't drop the spinning reel spool in water.  My greased/oil felt drags would only get water in it, just to freeze on the trip to the lake and get messed up drags.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:29 AM »
You cannot get away from a spinning reel and line twist, just as you cannot get away from government and taxes!
The reel is designed to twist the line on every turn. You can minimize line twist on new line ONLY for as long as you use it that first time, and then line memeory takes affect and the twists begin!

To reduce line twist out on the water/ice, let out as much line as you can (sinker trick works) and while relling in the line, pinch it between your finger and thunb between the reel and the first guide. The friction you generate in your fingers will be just warm enough to loosen up the line and help straighten it out. You can also cast it across the ice (as far as you can with the weight you choose) and do the same thing.

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:41 AM »
On my first drop I pull out the line by hand and stretch each length until I get to the bottom then do 5 or 6 feet extra  that normally keeps my line straight all day.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:16 AM »
On my first drop I pull out the line by hand and stretch each length until I get to the bottom then do 5 or 6 feet extra  that normally keeps my line straight all day.

This is what i do as well. Seems to work well
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:21 AM »
To help aliviate twist close bail with your hand. Don't turn reel to close it. That will help out allot.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2012, 01:40 PM »
does reel magic really work?
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2012, 03:45 PM »

Yep.  100% correct here.  Pull it out against the drag and you will never deal with line twist if you do this. 

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2012, 04:52 PM »
I gunna have to give that a try!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 PM »
i do this also, but do it periodically throughout the year when i notice my line getting twisted. i normally dont have a problem getting it on the spool without twist, but after fishing a drop shot or jigging spoon, the line tends to really get twisted. another thing  have done is just let out aobut half a spool of line in the grass, and then reel it up between my fingers. the grass will take out the twists as well.

Letting you line rub on the ground will damage it.  If you want proof....buy a microscope.  Check your new line through the microscope before rubbing it through the leaves and fingers and then check the line after it has been dragged through the grass.  You will see that there has been damage to the line.

The best way to untwist a line is to let out line from a moving boat.  Do not add anything to the end of the line.  Then reel in your line back onto the reel spool.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 PM »
So, let me get this straight:

1. I need to go out into the yard and put a bobber on.
2. Then put on a weight and a snap swivel.
3. After that, I soak it in hot water.
4. Go cat fishing,
5. Then spool the line back on either from the top or the bottom, or clockwise or counterclockwise...
6. while spraying with silicone waterproofer
7. in the grass
8. with a nail in a tree
9. and pinching between my finger and thumb,
10. Then when I get to the lake, I stretch the line out until I get to the bottom.
11. and then flip the bail by hand.
12. while watching a youtube video.

and if I do all of that, finally I will have no line twist!  :-\

Offline Gmoney21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Yes, you will finally have a spool free from line twist but when you use a microscope to see its condition it will be so damaged from the heat, lube and cats that you should change it out for a new batch.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Yes, you will finally have a spool free from line twist but when you use a microscope to see its condition it will be so damaged from the heat, lube and cats that you should change it out for a new batch.

Bazinga

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:29 AM »
If all those steps do not work then you must have done something wrong. Start over.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.