Author Topic: How many of you use PFDs on the ice?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How many of you use PFDs on the ice?
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:59 AM »
This is a question I just thought of when I read Icymikes reply of using snowshoes made of 4x8 plywood. How many of you wear a PFD under your jacket? I have heard of people doing this, but have never tried it myself. It seems sensible on thin ice.

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
Re: How many of you use PFDs on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:19 AM »
Usually the first 2 or 3 times we go out I have one on over the layers, then when I know we've got a lot of good safe ice, I'll bring a throwable one.  It also doubles as a good chair cushion when I grow roots in front of the honey hole.  Never hurts to be too prepared.
Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:41 AM »
i use them early and late ice when conditions are questionable and keep a section of rope in shanty .you never know

Offline brian-in-CT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:10 PM »
I have the kind you can actually shoot a shotgun while wearing so I wear it most of the time.  Once the ice gets beyond a foot I leave it in the sled.  When things thaw again in March I start to wear it again.

Brian

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:30 PM »
After reading all of the "Be Safe" messages here I put one on when I ventured out on the ice for the first time of the year, alone at 6am with no one else at the lake.  Now that I've been out a few times I put it on the sled with the gear and I also have a rope ready. 

Yesterday someone towed a shanty out near me with a 4-wheeler and stopped and asked how thick the ice was  ::)  no life jacket, no ropes, no creepers.  Then was surprized when there was only 3 1/2 inches.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:31 PM »
I wear one too for early and late ice. I need a new one though, because it's one of those  cheap, bulky, orange ones'. I also have the rope, ice picks and spud. (About the guy who drove his ATV near you on 3 1/2" of ice-now, while I do not like to see harsh posts on this site and generally, try to always have a positive message rather than a negative one- There's only one name for that guy-Idiot!-He not only endangered hmself, but you as well! I've been around "grown" men RUNNING on 2" of ice to help me "land" a 4" bluegill, one time the ice bowed and spider-cracked between my two holes!)
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:51 PM »
I don't. A friend and a rope and that's it.
He weighs about 50# more than me, so I make him go first.
In a week we won't have to worry about the ice anyway,
and he doesn't seem to mind.

:P

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:51 PM »
I have worn them on occasion. Now I just stay off the ice until I know it is safe.
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2004, 02:01 PM »
I have worn them on occasion. Now I just stay off the ice until I know it is safe.

I'm with Jon.  I always wait until I get a reputable report that the ice is safe.  I then head out and check it myself before venturing far offshore.  Of course, seeing a few permanent shanties and atv/sled riders doesn't hurt my confidence! ;D

No matter how safe the ice is, we always carry along the ice picks and a 50ft length of rope.

I was chatting with Dave Genz at the BPS ice fishing event in Auburn, NY a few weeks ago and he told me that kids should always be wearing PFD's no matter how thick the ice is.  He stated " We wouldn't let them swim in the middle of some lake without one during the summer, why would we let them fish in the middle of the same lake without one now?"
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:16 PM »
i will wear one until people are driving on the ice.  but once people are driving on the ice i will take it off than put it on again near the end of the season.  mine isnt bulky at all and you can barely notice it when you have it on so it doesnt hurt to wear it.  Better safe than sorry.
Team Manitoba

AB pike

« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:57 PM »
i like to wear my survival suit its a jacket and bib pants its also very warm and keeps the wind out and might just give a guy that little more time so he doesnt freeze to death if a guy falls throught the ice heres to many flags releasing in the new year for ya guys fish on

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:38 PM »
let the fat guy go first :D I like but me being the fat one I am going to get me a outfit then find me a skinny guy and a pitchfork and see how long he last on thin ice  I don't think he'll care much till he falls in!!!
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:29 AM »
I have often used one for checking the fisrt ice of the season.  I would also not put on my insulated pants and parka just for the reason that they will weigh me down a lot if I go thru.  I ususally would wear hiking boots instead of heavy winter boots.  Once the ice is over 6 inches I dont worry about wearing one.  Regarding Dave Genz' comment about kids...that just doesnt pass the strait face test!  Talk about discouraging kids from ice fishing...having to wear a PFD all day...in the winter????
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

iceman480

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:32 AM »
I dont where one I wait till ice is safe then I follow where everyone has walked till I know for sure

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:38 AM »
I dont wear one but thats because I dont own one.. But I am very slow and cautious on early ice.. I normally drill a hole right off land and than slowly move on to deeper water drilling every 10-15 yards sometimes I walk out with a spud if I dont want to drill but once I see 5 inches or so of ice I am pretty confident.. Accually I am almost 300 lbs and I jumped on 4 inches this year without even a crack.. Ice is alot stronger than we think especially black ice..
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 AM »
Bought a house 4 years ago on the lake that I fish all season, I start checking and walking the shoreline once the ice starts forming. With good luck and a little brains I have only gone thru once and that was at the end of the season and only waist deep, still do not use any PFD's. Getting older and fatter every year I am more careful testing the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.