Author Topic: Snow on the ice?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline IluvmyCLAM2000

• IceShanty Rookie
Snow on the ice?
« on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:37 PM »
Got a question for you folks..........here in mid-Michigan, all the lakes I've been checkin' for ice have about 3-4 inches of beautifull black ice................... .with about a foot of snow on them. When i move the snow out of the way to set up the shack........it's like there is always an inch of water on top of the ice. It scares the hellouta me. I realize the snow insulates the ice, but does it actually melt it? Should i be freaked out when there is water on the ice like that? I mean.....I could care less if there was 12" I was walkin' on, but that 3" thing gets me a lil' nervous. thanks for any advice...Hank

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Snow on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:48 PM »
Nothing to worry about man, perfectly normal.  As you know snow has a fair bit of weight to it.  The water you see is what is commonly refered to as flood water.  The weight of the snow pushes down on the bouyant ice increasing pressure below.  This causes water to seep up through cracks in the ice...This can sometimes make things really tough to get around by late season.  Quite often you get the effect of several layers of thin ice above the main ice with pockets of water in between.  Often you also get a mess of slush.  When you break through these pockets with a vehicle you go nowhere fast.

Trevor

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Geez Trevor....I've seen tons of slush...2-3' on 2 or more feet of winter ice....but one foot of snow on 3-4"......and 1 inch of water.....no way in a thousand years would you get me on that ice......IMHO...its just not safe.... sorry....Grump :-\

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 02:15 PM »
i agree if you only had 3-4 inches to start and you got a foot of snow on top the weight of the snow pushes the ice down causing the water to flood the ice.i disagree,however, that you have nothing to worry about.that is a lot of weight on unstable ice. the snow will not melt the ice but as you said will insulate it from the cold night air.so the ice is gonna take longer to freeze.it will but it will take a little longer. im not saying i havent been fishing in these conditions im just saying i was worried :-\

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify...When I previously stated "nothing to worry about" I was referring to the water on the ice.  Which I believe is what he asked. 

As for these conditions of 12" of snow on 3-4" of good ice, they probably wouldn't keep me off.  Although I would be a little cautious on three inches....Of course I'm always one of the first to trek out there come late fall ;D.  You must be able to assess conditions and exercise good judgment.  My father in law went through 12" of seemingly good ice last week in a pickup over 6' of water, no snow cover to speak of.  Thankfully he is OK.

Trevor

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:47 AM »
To be safe, be sure to wear snowshoes made out of 4X8 sheets of plywood.

Icy Mike

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:55 AM »
and an inflated tracktor tire inner tube around your waist for added flotation   ;D !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.