Author Topic: Does anyone drive 2wd Pick-ups to ice fishing sites?  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
Re: Does anyone drive 2wd Pick-ups to ice fishing sites?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:14 AM »
WOW, many options, pavers, sands tubs, snad bags, lumber, and junk plus chains just in case.... I will look into getting one of these and some chains.... Now I need a good deal on chains? Any suggestions?
Mole :tipup:
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2004, 06:25 PM »
Everyone here has made some great points. A 2wd with chains and weight in the back will go just as far as a 4x4.
I tend to disagree with that statement. with a competent driver a 4 wheel drive truck can get through some pretty hairy situations that a 2 wheel couldn't even come close to getting through no matter how awesome of traction you are getting on the rear end. weight in the bed and chains can significantly help to a pretty good extent on snow and ice but cannot replace the need for 4-wheel in some situations. I agree with crapieloo and backatit in that those with 4x4(usually inexperienced) get stuck more because they think 4 wheel will go through anything as fast as they want. Its has more to do with the driver than the vehicle in all reality. as for most stuff youll likely encounter 2 wheel will get you through without a problem.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:15 PM »
I drive my quad out to our fishing spots when the ice is thick enough, Its a 2wd utility, 2002 Honda recon 250 es. Haven't had to chain the tires yet, but think I'm going to this year.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:46 AM »
crappieloo:

Thanks for web links I like what I see so far...

Mole  :tipup:

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:25 AM »
I have run a 4x4 for years.  I usually pack 2 sets of chains, one for the back and one for the front, a shovel, and a come along, just in case I get stuck.  My pickups see a lot of offroad adventures, hunting, fishing, and ice fishing.  It seems that the only time I get stuck is when my brain sticks.  I run in 2 wheel drive until I need 4. 

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:31 AM »
How much would a come along run? What size should I buy?

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:05 AM »
I had a 92 2 wheel drive Ranger and would put 4 bundles of shingles in the back to improve traction.  Worked great most of the time but could not make it up the hill in the mountains when it got snow covered.  Now i finally purchased 4x4 off road edition f-150 and it's awesome.  I can get through a lot of stuff with that thing and I don't fish tail anymore!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:23 AM »
Offroading is something I know a little bit about. 2WD should do fine on the ice...GIVEN that there is not enough snow on top to brush your undercarriage. Once snow piles up under the rear end, your done. A come along will only help you if you are close enough to the shore to hook onto a tree, or another truck. They are handy in offroading situations. for the record, most towing companies will charge extra if you are on a lake and need to be pulled off. I drive a 95 Full size Bronco with 33" Kumho A/T's, I never get stuck. I also drive in 2WD until I need 4. It's ALOT harder to get get stuck with 4wd. usually what you can drive into, you can drive out of. Especially snow...once you break trail in 2wd, you can always get back out in 4.

I'd suggest carrying alot of kitty litter in the bed for weight and for the occasion that you get stuck. It will happen sooner or later. Most of the time you can get a good samaritain with a 4wd to pull you out though.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.