Author Topic: Went though the ice today! Be careful!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went though the ice today! Be careful!
« on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:07 PM »

It seems some deep snow pushed up against my pier had retarded ice formation along with a bubbler I'm running about 30 feet away to prevent winter kill. I've also noticed over the years my wooden pier warms up and retards ice formation. Upon close examination I have open water under part of the pier!

What happened was I was checking the ice off the pier with one of my boots and suddenly I'm in!  ;D Surprisingly once my jacket and clothes became waterlogged, the pier wasn't much help in getting out as it's up above the ice level somewhat, and I had to roll my self up on the ice before getting up on the pier. I had the dog on a lease and she was standing on the pier looking at me like, "what in the hell are you dong in the water!?"

After losing one boot to the pond bottom I took one off and made a mad dash to the house through the snow. Cooooooold!  :o ;D

So be careful out there. Deep snow can be quite an insulator regardless of how cold it gets. The rest of my pond has a solid 6 to 7 inches of ice although the snow on top has melted.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappiekiller75

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Went though the ice today! Be careful!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Wow close one!  :o i went thru the ice about 5 years ago...same thing kinda, ice was 8-10 inches but then i stepped on a big snow drift and in i went! luckily I had my ice picks around my neck to pull myself out. Glad to here your o.k.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Ya know most of us wait until summertime to go swimming...Showoff.... .. ;) WOW, i haven't gone in yet as I am usually careful, Glad you weren't far from home and able to tell the story. keep it on TOP of the ice!!

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Wow, glad your ok.

A friend of mine went through the ice last weekend as well. I stepped onto the ice right from shore and she walked out onto the dock and stepped off the side and went in up to her waist. The lake we were fishing had a solid 5" to 6" all around but apparently not around the dock.

After reading your post and seeing her go in, from now on I will always access a lake from shore instead of using a dock.

Offline boatdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Never thought about docks warming the water but it makes sense,makes me wonder about going this weekend since the warm up here in the southern tier, stay on the dry side
stupid people are like slinkies,they both bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 02:46 PM »
After ice out the first place you fish is docks and brush, always a few degrees warmer. Believe it's called the albedo effect, dark things absorb light into heat, light stuff reflects it more. Why many don't wear a black tee shirt in August, they'll fry

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2010, 03:33 PM »
We got all the idiots out here in Lake George, out on 2 inches or so of ice, no thanks, I'd rather saty on top! Glad you were able to tell the story!! :icefish:
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Offline walleymaster96

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2010, 03:45 PM »
well that's really bad and hope you get your boot back

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:44 PM »
well that's really bad and hope you get your boot back

No it's still down there. I used a dye on the pond this year so I can't see it on the bottom. I might be able to snag it tomorrow though. At least I have another set of boots.

My pier goes completely across the pond although I still need to put some boards on the other end. I have a friend that lives on a lake that has changed his pier a couple of times and given me his old ones. It's really nice to ice fish off of if you think the ice is questionable.

Here it is before I added the last 30 feet. That's my old girl checking out the pier. She passed away over a year ago. She's sorely missed.  :'(

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:27 AM »
both times i fell thru was getting on the ice from a dock.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Glad you are still here to talk about it.

Nice looking place taxi1. :tipup:

dc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.