The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !  (Read 363408 times)

surflizard

F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« on: Jul 24, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Fraternal Order of Eskimo Auger Owners. I like it, IT SINGS !! ;D  Having just become a proud Eskimo auger owner myself, I was traded a Eskimo 8600 Shark auger for a dock repair, I've wanted an Eskimo since I was a teenager. Now I finally have one ! :thumbsup: I thought a post about being an Eskimo Auger Owner would be kinda cool, So Rebelss & I started this thread. Anything and everything Eskimo is welcome here, Pictures, Opinions (yea and nay), Tips, Stories. I'll get the ball rolling.  ;D

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: F.O.E.A.O. Eskimo Auger owners Unite !
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2010, 09:51 AM »
That thing looks incredibly simple, yet build like a tank, I love it! :thumbsup:

I don't own or have any experience with an Eskimo, so I'll just cheer from the sidelines.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2010, 08:24 AM »

G'Day All
This is my first post of the Season ( well for the season coming up)
I'm really new at ice fishing, ( hated the cold all my life until about three years ago.)
Started to ice fish about then.

I like to takes things in stages.  Hence ....
First year - Bought a Otter two mini sled. ( went through first year with things all piled on sled.
Second year- Built a Sled rack for my Mini. ( phase one) It works like a charm
This is my third year - Summer - improved my rack and started work on Phase two.

NOW !!!! Now I say I have given it a lot of thought and drilled a Lot of holes by hand.
Never ever owned any thing that takes mixed Gas. Have always heard scary stories from people of years gone past.

So Now!! I say it is my time to buy a power Ice Auger.........

And YUP here it is, the Question that I believe everyone hears and tries to answer every year.

ESKIMO Verses JIFFY !! .LOL.

I have been thinking about it for such a long time now. I think it is time for a power Auger.
So I have done what everyone does I've asked around. ( All last year and this one)

and Yes, you guessed , as with everything in life all kinds of answers.

But with what I've heard, I'm really starting to lean towards a Eskimo.
-One fellow said he has owned one of them for over ten years now ( and it was a hand me down from his father) and he said that it does not look pretty but he swears it is the hardest working, always starting machine, he would ever want.

Now my only thought left is What Size?
- Both, motor size .  I always think that the biggest and most powerful motor is the way to go. ( But is it needed?)
- Blade Size??    8,9, or 10.  ( remember I'm new at this so i have not caught a lot of fish as of yet and have never ever caught anything very BIG as of YET)

So I believe my choices are for Eskimo =

SHARK 71CC 10" QUANTUM Z71Q10

SHARK 51.7CC 10" QUANTUM Z51Q10

SHARK 51CC & 9 INCH QUANTUM Z51Q9
If Money is no problem ( I have been saving all summer... LOL)
What would all of you think.. Am I right in leaning towards the  " 71CC 10" QUANTUM Z71Q10"

What do you think " Surflizard" ?  And what made you decide on your Eskimo? Have had any other Brand before this one??

Everyone have a great day and a even better up and coming Hard water season.

Regards

AltaIce

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Hi " CMMahy"

Like I posted before I have been told it is a tank that can be counted on.

If you don't mind me asking?  What have you used and what do you think about the Ice Auger you have used till now?
( Pro and Cons? )

Have a great day.

Take Care

AltaIce  8)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I have owned an Eskimo which was a good auger. I sold it and bought a 3 hp Jiffy about 25 years ago and the guy that bought it is still using it. I now own a Jiffy 2 hp and have never tried a Strikemaster. The augers that I like best are the kind that start and drill holes in the ice. I think they all have their good and bad points depending on what you expect out of them. I have seen most popular brands on the ice and at one time or another they either wouldn't run well or took a long time to go through the ice. I can remember drilling all six of my holes through 18" of ice while a guy with a Strikemaster was trying to get through the ice for his first hole. I didn't blame the auger as I knew that you have to be smart enough to know when you need new blades and ya have to care about such things. This guy had no problem with his auger being that slow.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Hi "ice dawg"

I agree in what you have said. As well I have always thought it is not always the fault of the Ice Auger ( or fuel powered item) not working proper as at times it is the person using it. Like I mentioned before I have never had any thing where I have had to mix fuel. and I have heard and seen people mess that part up.  LOL

I guess I was hoping for someone to tell me that there was a unit out there that would run even if one poured sand in it.... LOL.. Know what I mean?  Kinda idiot proof.

The first year I took my 6" hand auger out.. I drilled about 12 holes then handed it to a friend and told him to make sure he wipes away the snow before drilling as I had seen that there was different layers of dirt under the fresh snow..
Well he did NOT!.... LOL.. and your right it was a Dull Blade thing.. right there.. and that was the end of our holes for the rest of the day. ( as I tried for ever on the next hole and gave up)

I agree with you and understand what your saying, ice dawg. There are a lot of variables that must be considered when seeing a person having problems with there Ice Auger.

Later, have a God One.

AltaIce  .    8)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I wouldn't rule out jiffy or strikemaster yet, they all make a quality product and they all have their pros and cons. My biggest beef with eskimos is the serrated hole and how hard it is to redrill old holes. There is enough support and parts out there that you can't really go wrong with any brand right now, the only thing Ive done to my Jiffy in 11 years is a carb kit and it cost me 4$ and took about 15 minutes. Go out with some buddies and try and few different machines and see what you like.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Hi "Layne"

Understood Sir, I know that what ever I do decide to pick for my first Ice Auger, will be on me, my decision at the end and I can not will ever blame anyone for there advise if I decide to go with what they might like or prefer using.

I realize that everything out there has to built in a good and standard way.

I have been out with a friend in the past that bought and is using a 10" Jiffy and your all right when you say that it could be at that time it may or not work. I was at awe as I've seen it do wonders and only once or twice it had a tricky time in starting or staying going.. and I also realize it could one of many things that can make it that way.

But, I keep thinking in a way or a strange way is buying my first Ice Auger, any different than Myself buying any used car or a new one for that mater. A lemon or dud can be in any item I guess that is made.
I never get so afraid that I will never buy anything based on someone else's problems. Once again trying to realize than many things can make it go wrong. and it was my decision to buy it for what ever reason I thought it was good.

Layne, do you think that the Eskimo has a tricky time going through old holes because the teeth or blades are that much better or different than anything that Jiffy might have now?

Also please keep in mind everyone. That this fellow here ( me) is not  SO rich that I don't care what a item will cost.... LOL. but I guess that is the next thing I will have to think about comparing.. I have also have believed that one can get something better in some cases if one spends more. ( and I know that can be argued as well but is for a different thread.... LOL)
 Your all right.. Pro's and Con's.

And I will not forget, that the Pro's and Con's I hear or read are coming from other source's and opinions. So I know it will come back to what I decide based on those thoughts.

I love this site and for this very reason ( as well as many many more) that we all can give our experiences and thoughts with ideas that we have tested or invented.  ( How can you know, that I'm new on the web,.... LOL and am slowly getting into blogs and all these open forums... LOL

Later

Regards.
AltaIce    .  8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2010, 10:25 AM »

Never been much on Bling or how something looks as much as what the item can do or what purpose it can preform well.
( having said that, been there done that, truck shows etc. but that was for that purpose)

Hence all the different looking and working Sleds etc. Man, if it is  something I or we have made and it works and works well for the purpose I or we need it for. I Don't care at all what it looks like. ...LOL as long as it works well for me.

I guess that goes to what people say at work when they talk about the Jiffy and Eskimo.. I offend hear them come back too or start the conversation, with " this one looks better or this one does not look the same as this one".

but in the end I know it is what works best for the person using it. Hence back to mixing  gas, holding the Auger right, storing it, ETC, ETC, ETC< ... LOL..

know what i mean?

AltaIce    . 8)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:28 AM »
For sure man, honestly I think Eskimos are a good machine and they deffinetly seem to be the most affordable. Last year costco was blowing out 8" eskimos for 299. I had 2 freinds buy them and they worked well the whole season.

As far as redrilling old holes I think its a combination of the torque, gearing and the blades. If you havent used an eskimo yet you will be suprised as to how much torque they have, they deffinetly rely more on gearing than horsepower. I find the jiffy's "shaver" style blades cut a cleaner hole and they dont bite near as much at once so you dont get your blade stuck opening an old half frozen hole.

Having said all this my next unit wont likely be a jiffy or an eskimo, its probably going to be a strikemaster or a husquavarna. The strike-lite and the husquavarna are really nice units and about half the weight of my current setup which would make thoses 100 hole days alot easier.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Altaice, Glad to have you ! Where to start ? My Uncle had an Eskimo back in the late 60s, early 70s.He was one of a very few back then, running a gas auger, most everyone used a spud / chisel ! Back then, we had over three feet of ice every year, he was a real popular guy. ;D Of all those years fishing with him, I remember him having only one problem with it, during that time. The dogs on the recoil wore out, so he took the shroud off and notched the pulley on top of the flywheel and used a pull rope from then on ! I've owned a Strikemaster, a couple of Jiffy's, still have a Jiffy Legend Lightning too, But I always wanted an Eskimo since I was old enough to go fishing with him ! I'll be honest, I don't like all the Plastic on the new augers, no matter what brand it is ! I have seen Plastic handles break and Plastic recoils grenade in the cold ! If that makes me old school, So be it ! I see the Z71 is claiming to be the biggest motor out there, I guess if your fishing up in Drifters neck of the woods, the NWT, you need the power for that thickness of ice there. Out of all the new Eskimos, I like the steel handles on the Mako 10" Quantum the most,the large recoil handle for using mittens is nice. That motor has more than enough power to get the job done ! As for the comments I've seen about the centering rings binding in an old hole, that maybe, but I've never had that particular issue with the different Eskimos I've tried over the years or for that fact, any other brand that has them ! If the hole isn't plumb to start with, most any auger might bind up, Who knows ? I'm very lucky in the fact that I scored my old Eskimo in a work trade, because that way I'm not stuck trying to sort throught all of the choices that you have my friend ! There is a reason Eskimo's been around for 50 years, they make Great augers and their service is top notch, if I didn't believe that, I wouldn't tell you that ! I hope somewhere in all this rambling, I helped you a little. Good luck and happy drillin !
Let me know what you decide, whatever Auger you choose will be much better than chiseling !  :roflmao:
LOOK OUT, THERE'S A SHARK !!   :woot:  :roflmao:

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I wouldn't rule out jiffy or strikemaster yet, they all make a quality product and they all have their pros and cons. My biggest beef with eskimos is the serrated hole and how hard it is to redrill old holes. There is enough support and parts out there that you can't really go wrong with any brand right now, the only thing Ive done to my Jiffy in 11 years is a carb kit and it cost me 4$ and took about 15 minutes. Go out with some buddies and try and few different machines and see what you like.
just curious what eskimo auger your talking about that drilled serrated holes? i have had my eskimo shark for well this will be season #12 and other than the blades its still all original. the only time it drills serrated holes is when the ice gets all soft and honey combed in the spring.also i'v never had a problem re drilling old holes in fact seems to re drill old holes better than my brothers lazer mag whitch is only starting its 3rd season this year,i'm not to impressed with the Tecumseh motor thats on his lazer mag its hard starting and takes for ever to warm up enough to cut a hole, my eskimo fires on the first few pulls even in -27*f  and is ready to cut with in a few seconds.i really can't say much about the new solo motors on the strikemaster and i don't know anyone that owns a jiffy anymore,my father and a friend of his and a buddy of mine all had older jiffy augers and seeing those three jiffy augers in action or the lack of is why i personally have such a hatred for jiffy augers. i don't know how many times i had a short day cause the jiffy augers had some kind of problem.
i would just like to say that i'm not trying to argue or tick anyone off i'm just sharing my experience with the three brands of augers

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Sorry I have zero exeperience with the older units just the new ones costco was selling last year. They drill nice it just seems to leave sharp "serrated" groves along the sides of the hole, this wont be an issue for 90% of the people out there but if you like to run 2-4LB line and UL gear it may be something to think about. Im not trying to bash eskimo by any means, everyone I know that bought one seems to like them and has no complaints so far other than one buddy getting his stuck in a hole. Nothing a little muscle and finesse couldn't fix. Ive got a few friends with jiffys that run like crap too, but that is totally because of a lack of maintenance.

:tipup:

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2010, 03:31 AM »
I have a 6" Eskimo Shark that cuts like CRAZY, and a Barracuda plus 3hp that out drilled one of those Ice Gators last year, and the Barracuda is a 10". Need I say more? Like I said in the past, the Barracuda is heavy, but it is the strongest auger I have ever used.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Mainedog!(not only dull blades,hand-augers are made to doing great with a minimum of power) That's the way a taked about four years ago and it's still Rock on!

I got an old Exkimo(maybe around 1990) for pearch fishing 4 1/2'' but muskys wont coming(holes to smalls) so i decided to try something..

1- I was habbit at Manual augers and know that they're doing great, easily and fast.
2- I dont liked the draw of the screw of my 4 1/2..
3- I was knowing that Normark hand-auger turn the same side that Eskimo's

So Why not a 8''

Difference of the screw.

I just had to do a fitting(it's enought thickness and weight around 1 pound, so the auger's going down by itself if i want because of this one more pound)

Add a couple of holes and screw it!

New look!

I was affraid that those modifications gave me transmission problems..But, i did that since four years an no trouble appear yet..I't going great..I just have to take care at the bottom of the hole..just a little less gas!

Hope you enjoy!
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Nice Fabication on your adaptor Steven, Pretty Clever !   :thumbsup:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Hey surflizard and everyone

Well I went and picked my new Eskimo about 2-3 weeks back.
I got the Z71 Q10.
I have not set it up yet, or had the chance to even read about it yet.
Hope to get into reading about it soon.

It is my first 2 stoke anything.
So I'm going have to read about the oil's and fuel mixes etc.

Take Care All
 8)

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Congrats on getting your Eskimo Z71 Q10 AltaIce, GO BIG OR GO HOME !  ;D  After you drill your first couple of holes, you might just kick yourself for not doing it sooner !  :roflmao: Keep us updated on your progress and tell us what you think of it after you run it some. Good luck and enjoy !

Surf

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Thanks Surf

First I have to get my butt in gear and design and make a system so I can haul it on my
sled or design a Trailer for sled .... LOL

AltaIce
 8)

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2010, 06:55 PM »
You must have ice or real close to it, by now Alta ? I found some froze over ponds in Northern NH last week end. So much to do and so little time !  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:03 PM »
OK, fellow 'MO owners!!! let's get things goin' here!!! Grabbed the stingray out of the rec room today..pulled the "dummy"plug I put in it after I fog the cylinder at end of season, popped the regular plug in...dumped in my fresh mix..pumped the primer 'til the lines where full of gas, flipped on the choke...flipped the kill swith to "on"....pulled once...nothing...pulle d a second time...ROOWWWWRRRRRRRR RRRRRR!!

Jeez, I love my 'Mo!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 5 years and still rippin' away!!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:11 PM »
New to the club  ;D  Picked up my Eskimo this past Monday.

Now wheres my ice!?!?!
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:26 PM »
New to the club  ;D  Picked up my Eskimo this past Monday.

Good for you!!!!! I saw that!!!! Got a good deal!!!! 'Mo owners, unite!!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roflmao:

surflizard

« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Hey Max, have you had the chance to fire that baby up yet  ??  ;D

P.S. Hey Reb,  FLAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:12 PM »
The preceding post was made by the  founder of F.O.E.A.O., my good friend and brother-in-fishing, the mighty Surfy. Fellow Eskimo owners, this is what sometimes happens when you love your 'Mo SOOO much, you sleep with it, inhaling those delicious 2 cycle fumes all night. However, extended inhalation of fumes and lack of human interaction can result in loud screams as above. The price we pay for owning an Eskimo....  :wacko: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:48 PM »
The preceding post was made by the founder of F.O.E.A.O., my good friend and brother-in-fishing, the mighty Surfy. Fellow Eskimo owners, this is what sometimes happens when you love your 'Mo SOOO much, you sleep with it, inhaling those delicious 2 cycle fumes all night. However, extended inhalation of fumes and lack of human interaction can result in loud screams as above. The price we pay for owning an Eskimo....  :wacko: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Ok....OK.... Hey Rebelss !!!!

Back up a minute.... If I understand what your saying?????

Your not supposed to sleep with it ?????

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:55 PM »
But.... But.... Rebelss

When I first  told "Surf" that I got my Eskimo a short time ago , he told me that it was written in the warranty.

That if you did not SLEEP with your "Mo"it would Void your Warranty!!  TOTALLY !!!

Am I to assume I was told a Falsehood????   ......   LOL .....

AltaIce
   8)

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Got my first power auger this summer.  Should get some pics of my "MO" on here.

surflizard

« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Congrats on the new Auger and welcome to the Brotherhood of Eskimo Auger Owners Adam ! Have you got any chest waders Adam, Its gettin Mighty deep in here !  ;D  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:05 PM »
No falsehoods on this thread, Adam!!  You're safe with us!!! Say, did I tell you what I named my auger?  :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.