The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Need new auger  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Sherpa

• IceShanty Rookie
Need new auger
« on: Nov 27, 2022, 03:24 PM »
My Eskimo broke and needs to be replaced. I want something lightweight and dependable. I was looking at an Ion and hoping for input. I’m kind of tired of dealing with gas and want a 10 inch. I’m looking for something that will work when I make a few trips per year north. I already have an 8 inch pistol that I like with thin but looking for something that can handle thicker ice. Thanks,

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Need new auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2022, 03:45 PM »
Can’t beat the 10” G2 bit from ion.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Strikemaster 10"  40V!!! You SHALL like it!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:37 PM »
I have a Model 30 looking for a good home.
I'm going to miss that jiffy sound across the lake.
Went to a battery auger 2021 only because of weight.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Take your pick between Strikemaster or Ion. I don't know anyone who's disappointed with either of them.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:47 PM »
I lugged around my Jiffy Model 31 8 inch for many years, then............bought a Nils Master auger 8 inch.  Later picked up an adapter and currently use my 18V Milwaukee drill to power it.  I know you are looking for a 10 inch but boy does this baby cut like butter and super light.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2022, 05:15 PM »
I lugged around my Jiffy Model 31 8 inch for many years, then............bought a Nils Master auger 8 inch.  Later picked up an adapter and currently use my 18V Milwaukee drill to power it.  I know you are looking for a 10 inch but boy does this baby cut like butter and super light.
^^^This^^^ Only if you would consider an 8”.  If you want to stay with 10” then I would look toward the ion.  Can’t beat the nils though.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2022, 06:44 PM »
My manual 6" Nils (+ spare head to send out for sharpening) is all I've ever had (for 20 years of ice fishing).
I though about making it battery-powered but don't want to buy more cordless tools. (I have Ryobi 18v stuff)
If an 18v drill will work on an 8" Nils it should have no problem with my 6" then?

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2022, 06:51 PM »
On my second jiffy pro 4 in 8 yrs. not impressed. Go with electric for sure. Not cars tho lol

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2022, 07:21 PM »
Strikemaster just came out with a 40v 10” lite . That’s the auger I want. Ion just came out with an upgraded 10”. More than 2x as fast as their other model.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Absolutely love my Strikemaster 10" 40v.  2 of my buddies bought one as soon as they tried mine.  I can hold it in 1 hand on my wheeler.  The reverse makes cleaning holes a breeze, and the lights are great for drilling cusk holes.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2022, 04:02 AM »
Absolutely love my Strikemaster 10" 40v.  2 of my buddies bought one as soon as they tried mine.  I can hold it in 1 hand on my wheeler.  The reverse makes cleaning holes a breeze, and the lights are great for drilling cusk holes.
I've never used the ion. Went with the Strikemaster 40v after the reviews, even though green is a fav color... hehe. (I'm fully off grid, so mine's solar powered!!!)  I and guys I know with the SM40V love them! Looking forward to the F150 Lightning after it's been well vetted!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:13 AM »
Looking forward to the F150 Lightning after it's been well vetted!!!
If you actually use it as a truck (hauling/towing), combined with our cold weather, I doubt you'd be happy with one.
As a city "truck" I'm sure they're great.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:21 AM »
If you actually use it as a truck (hauling/towing), combined with our cold weather, I doubt you'd be happy with one.
From what I've read, it'll do what I need  it to and do the distances I travel with the boat and fishing. I always have a backup vehicle anyway.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2022, 02:47 PM »
Just thinking more about it, Brian.. 80% of my mileage is put on March - November. Any "hauling" I do then isn't like stone or heavy stuff. A boat, a few bushels of clams, small jaunts with firewood or lumber, fishing/clamming gear is about the bulk of it. So like 18K miles w/o gas. "F-150 Lightning Standard Range Increased to EPA-Estimated 240 Miles" "The F-150 Lightning can tow up to an impressive 10,000 lbs, specifically when it's equipped with the Extended Range battery, with a max payload of up to 2,000 with the basic battery pack."  If I find it necessary or more comfortable, I'll have my other truck in winter. If I lived in hurricane prone and or coastal climate change issue areas, I'd be moving or making other plans...  ;D @) Seems pretty covered!! Thanks!!

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:05 PM »
My manual 6" Nils (+ spare head to send out for sharpening) is all I've ever had (for 20 years of ice fishing).
I though about making it battery-powered but don't want to buy more cordless tools. (I have Ryobi 18v stuff)
If an 18v drill will work on an 8" Nils it should have no problem with my 6" then?

I use a 7.5 inch HT mini-Nero with a Ryobi 18-volt hammer drill and it works pretty well.  I did 18 inches of ice with it and had no significant problems. It does hang up on breakthrough just a bit once in a while but never actually failed to get the job done.  I carry the manual handle with me just in case but never had to resort to it in 2 seasons so far.  I had an Eskimo Shark Z43 before and it weighed a ton and took up a lot of sled space. My current rig weighs just a fraction of what the gas auger did and takes up almost no space in the sled.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:25 PM »
FB Market Place has MANY gas augers. Not a single electric

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Looking forward to the F150 Lightning after it's been well vetted!!! [/size][/color]

If Ford made it with an 8 foot bed I would have already ordered one.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:52 PM »
I've been keeping the auger in the p/u for a backup since i switched to a cordless chainsaw. It's 1/2 size & weight w/ no auger corners for line  to hang up on .
I cut triangles for tipups w/ no slush to scoop. Don't know where you at but , in Michigan i haven't needed more than a 14" bar & keep a 20" bar & chain for an extra 60.00 just in case . Also the greenworks batteries are usually 1/2 price of ion

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2022, 04:07 PM »
You will not be disappointed with the new ION Alpha.  I picked one up recently and it's sweet!   This is the 10" auger you want.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:33 PM »
I've been keeping the auger in the p/u for a backup since i switched to a cordless chainsaw. It's 1/2 size & weight w/ no auger corners for line  to hang up on .
I cut triangles for tipups w/ no slush to scoop. Don't know where you at but , in Michigan i haven't needed more than a 14" bar & keep a 20" bar & chain for an extra 60.00 just in case . Also the greenworks batteries are usually 1/2 price of ion
I like this idea! Use the tools I have. And no new batteries and chargers.
Thank you.
BTW, aren't all chainsaws "cordless"?  ;D

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:59 PM »
Just thinking more about it, Brian.. 80% of my mileage is put on March - November. Any "hauling" I do then isn't like stone or heavy stuff. A boat, a few bushels of clams, small jaunts with firewood or lumber, fishing/clamming gear is about the bulk of it. So like 18K miles w/o gas. "F-150 Lightning Standard Range Increased to EPA-Estimated 240 Miles" "The F-150 Lightning can tow up to an impressive 10,000 lbs, specifically when it's equipped with the Extended Range battery, with a max payload of up to 2,000 with the basic battery pack."  If I find it necessary or more comfortable, I'll have my other truck in winter. If I lived in hurricane prone and or coastal climate change issue areas, I'd be moving or making other plans...  ;D @) Seems pretty covered!! Thanks!!
I don't understand needing 2 trucks, with that one being a very expensive under-performer, but to each his own.
I'll stick with my '87 F-250 diesel 4wd ext. cab 8' bed and my '85 Benz sedan. Now I only own vehicles that I can afford to pay cash for and maintain myself. I sold my last "modern" vehicle last summer. I got fed up with computer and electrical  "gremlins" and expensive dealer "repair" bills.

FYI, on the Lightning:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:38 AM »
I don't understand needing 2 trucks, with that one being a very expensive under-performer, but to each his own.
FYI, on the Lightning:
The History Of The Future does not indicate favoring a  limited perspective based on past or current comfortable sentimentalities.  ;D
I'm a clammer. Any breakdown, even a flat tire can cost me pay checks. Had a rear end lock up last year. w/o my backup ranger, i would have lost a LOT of money. Also, My daughter borrows a vehicle on occasion. :) As far as "underperforming", It's new tech. The computer you now hold in your hand is more powerful than the city block ones from the 50s - 60s. Gramps converted a post hole digger into an ice auger before augers were common. Now, there are hand augers like Nils and many varieties of very efficient and effective electrics. Remember the Wright brothers, circa 1903? Now there's a telescope a million miles away sending back pics from billions of light years away. There's, right now, is circling the moon in prep for another human landing. Both these things are adding to future tech and practical use of that tech. That is part of the impetus as the first moon project was. Battery and charging tech are just developing from infancy!!! https://science.nasa.gov/technology/technology-highlights/cooling-technique-developed-for-space-use-makes-charging-electric-cars-on-earth-quicker-and-easier.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:10 AM »
I like this idea! Use the tools I have. And no new batteries and chargers.
Thank you.
BTW, aren't all chainsaws "cordless"?  ;D

No, an electric chainsaw has a cord, some slushies run em by generator, thought the greenworks & battery in post was enough & gas is too temperamental at. 0°

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:29 AM »
No, an electric chainsaw has a cord, some slushies run em by generator, thought the greenworks & battery in post was enough & gas is too temperamental at. 0°
Actually, LOTS of battery chainsaws out there. Dropping trees for production? Not so hot, I think... Probably good for bait traps and smelt shacks though!!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:58 AM »
Actually, LOTS of battery chainsaws out there. Dropping trees for production? Not so hot, I think... Probably good for bait traps and smelt shacks though!!

Agreed.

I've had a couple 20v chainsaws. They're great for making short work of small trees and buzzing up dropped limbs, but not enough battery life for cutting bigger stuff. I don't do a lot of cutting, so I dumped the Stihl for cordless electric several years ago... zero regrets.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2022, 06:19 AM »
Here's the one i use. Its a dedicated ice saw so i can't give it a yay or nay on wood.
I run a 2.0 ah battery which cuts 3 - 2 1/2' × 4' spear holes + 3 tipups in 10" of ice before battery is spent ,its less than 1/2 the $$$ than a 10" ion and fits in my gearbox
https://www.greenworkstools.com/products/pro-60v-brushless-chainsaw-kit-2019202

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:00 AM »

My Eskimo broke and needs to be replaced. I want something lightweight and dependable. I was looking at an Ion and hoping for input. I’m kind of tired of dealing with gas and want a 10 inch. I’m looking for something that will work when I make a few trips per year north. I already have an 8 inch pistol that I like with thin but looking for something that can handle thicker ice. Thanks,

My recommendation is go ION 10" ..some older models may have a deal out there ..plus your 8" Eskimo Pistol Bit will bolt right to it w/o any adapters ..Plus the ION has shaver style blades ..which are easier to sharpen with a minimal skill set.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:17 AM »
If you are going 10" get the strikemaster or the ion alpha, not the older model.  Most people who own one or the other like the one they have.  Honestly though, most people who have used both prefer the strikemaster.

If you only need 8" then those work but the cordless drill setups are really pretty cool and what I would use for 8" holes.  I have the strikemaster, but igloo and k-drill models are supposed to be about the same.  I have a milwaukee fuel drill, which I would recommend.  I think dewalt is about the same as milwaukee.  Others have bought the less expensive cobalt and rigid drills, most have had good luck with them, but some haven't so I would be a little carefull with those. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:35 AM »
If you are going 10" get the strikemaster or the ion alpha, not the older model.  Most people who own one or the other like the one they have.  Honestly though, most people who have used both prefer the strikemaster.
I have NOT tried both.  I did read a LOT of reviews. The Strikemaster ranked much better overall with actual users.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.