Author Topic: Beads &/or Painted hooks?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Beads &/or Painted hooks?
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Does anyone use beads or flouresent painted hooks on there tip-ups for walleye? If so, do you think they make a difference in the bite?

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Beads &/or Painted hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:46 PM »
I used glow beads that I got from Walmart that are meant for crafts and I put them on all my tip-ups and after that outing they all came off. I just think that it is one more thing for a fish to see. I was not convinced but hey they were cheap so why not right. Always try something once. That was not much help I know buy that is my only experience with beads. I did however switch all my treble hooks on my tip-ups to single hooks. I got the Owner brand that has the flexible glow bead and a red hook and I also got the black chrome number 2's. Maybe it was a coincidence but all of my bites and fish came off of the red hook's with glow beads. I just pulled the bead off and put the minnow on behind the dorsal fin and the replaced the bead below the barb and all I can say is WOW I was very impressed. You should try those hooks I had 10 bites and landed eight. 80% was better than the normal 0%.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:37 PM »
half my tips ups have a few beads right next to the treble hook. I honestly dont notice a difference. ???

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Ben I have been using red hook's for a while a believe in them. I have been using soft glow eggs in front of my hook this year. I think they work good. I don't like the glass or plastic beads just not sure if the fish can feel them. I would highly reccommend the Gamakatsu Walleye Rigs. They are nice with a glow bead already on them. I just wish they were rigged with fluorocarbon line.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Id definitely like to try dome different setups for the remainder of this year. Im glad to hear people at least use them.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I iced a 27" 7lb'er this weekend on a red treble with a red bead about 10 inches above.  Not sure if it makes a difference but dind't scare him.
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2009, 12:57 PM »
all my tipup rigs have soft glow beads on them, can't hurt.

E

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2009, 05:23 PM »
I have three beads on all of my mono leaders and I havent noticed any difference. They do seem to respond well to my red hooks though.

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I like to add a spinner blade above the hook about 6inches.  i also only use painted hooks or red hooks.  My success has greatly increased from using those hooks.  This has been my first year using the spinner above the hook and i truly think that has increase the walleye bite. 
I just bought the spinner blade kit from www.cabelas.com.  COlor choice for spinners that i have had the best luck is a shade of purple, hammered silver & gold.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.