Author Topic: Little buddy on 5lb tank  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
Little buddy on 5lb tank
« on: Jan 08, 2024, 03:27 PM »
So after 10 yrs of struggling with frozen hose on my regular buddy I decided to try and attach a little buddy to a 5lb tank. After many searches online, mostly on ice shanty, I came upon this made by Mr. Heater. Now it was a little low to the flange that protects the valve and I didn’t have a brass female to male extender so I just used my buddy filter to gain the extra height to clear the flange. I know u don’t need it for filter purposes but it fit the bill as an extension. Hope this helps anyone looking to do similar. As an aside I filled 1 tank and topped off another for $5. 1 little green bomb is about $8 in Ontario. Those tanks pay for themselves many times over.

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Little buddy on 5lb tank
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2024, 04:10 PM »
Nice idea!  Currently using portable buddy with 5 or 10 lb tanks, plus the hose. This looks a lot easier and less gear to haul.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2024, 08:14 AM »
bought my hose adapter yesterday... the filter is brilliant.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Looks great. How tipsy is it when tank is low?

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2024, 09:51 AM »
I installed it on a tank that was almost empty. It’s fine for not tipping. The empty tank weighs over 8lbs alone. I also turned it another 180 degrees so it now is more centred over the tank.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2024, 05:28 PM »
That's brilliant, nicely done!
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2024, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for the idea. I'd tried it with just a tee but there wasn't room to clear the valve handle and collar on a 20# tank. This thread reminded me I have a little gauge that serves the same purpose as your extension. With this and the tee adapter, I can screw the little buddy onto a 5, 10, 20 or whatever size tank and not run out of fuel, and save the buddy heater and hose for cold days.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:03 PM »
Hi Guys, Here is another way to accomplish the same thing. I bought a Mr. Heater Propane 90* elbow (F273760). This gets you from horizontal to vertical but there is not enough clearance to accommodate the base of the heater. I then went to Lowes and bought a 2inch 1/4 NPT brass nipple and a 1/4 NPT brass union. Total for these about $12. Connect the nipple to one end of the union and insert this section into the vertical side of the elbow, then reassemble and adjust so the heater faces the center of the 5# tank for better balance. I haven't done it yet, but it should work like a charm.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2024, 01:21 PM »
This is exactly how I have been using my little buddy for 3 years. Works awesome!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2024, 03:27 PM »
So in my bayrunner and QF3I I don’t need a lot of heat to stay in a hoodie. Fished 3 days, 6hr average. Went to fill tank and was under 2 lbs to fill. $2. My god. Feels like I won the lottery. Again 5lb and the connection are the best money I spent ice fishing. In action today and I reaped the rewards. -24 *C windchill.

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2024, 11:41 AM »
And in the QF3. Plenty warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.