The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gas Augers - Public Service Announcement  (Read 3281 times)

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gas Augers - Public Service Announcement
« on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Hello All!

Last year I was having some trouble with an old 2 stroke Eskimo gas auger I inherited. It was difficult to start, stalled sometimes and when I was running it, it spewed so much smoke, I looked like a roadie using a fog machine to prepare the stage for the headliner band at a concert venue. I posted a few questions on this forum to see if anyone could help me get it running better. Enter Rebelss and Dr.Speckler. I can't remember who said what but here are the tips they recommended:

1. The owner's manual recommended a 28:1 fuel mix. Rebelss advised that Eskimo originally recommended that ratio but since updated it to 40:1 because of advancements in the fuel oil.

2. Avoid using fuel that contains ethanol. Most states now (require?) gas station gasoline to contain / be supplemented with 5-15% ethanol. It runs cleaner in large engines and reduces carbon emissions. Unfortunately, it also degrades much quicker. The ethanol in the gasoline will start to crystalize within 30-90 days which clogs up small engine carburetors. If you live in an area that sells plain, unleaded non-ethanol gas, use it. If not, you can buy pre-mixed or regular canned fuel from most hardware stores. It is more expensive (about $6/quart) but it lasts MUCH longer and won't clog up the carb on your small engines.

3. If you do use ethanol-mixed fuels, add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel before you put it in your small engines. This will help it last longer and keep the ethanol from crystalizing in your engine.

4. Add a shot of Seafoam fuel additive to the fuel a few times a season. It will help dissolve deposits in the carb and fuel system and keep it running well.

5. Seafoam is wonderful but it isn't a magical cure for an engine that won't start or run. If your small engine won't run, chances are it's because the carb is too blocked up with deposits. In this case, remove the carb, clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner and then follow items 2-4 above regularly to keep it clean and running well.

I took my gas auger out for the first time this season recently. I used 40:1 canned fuel and a shot of Seafoam. Even though it's probably almost as old as me, it ran well the whole time, didn't stall and didn't emit even a puff of smoke. As I was cutting holes, I yelled THANKS REBELSS AND DR.SPECKLER!!!  Not sure if they heard me from Pennsylvania...

If anyone out there has had similar issues, pay attention to the list above and these two gentlemen. They know their stuff.

So grateful for members like them and this forum.

Tight lines and stay on top!

Butcher

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Gas Augers - Public Service Announcement
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:23 PM »
Thanks Iceshanty brother!keep up on the maintenance on the auger and it will last a very long time.my auger still runs great and going on 50 years old.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:59 PM »
Wow, thanks Butcher! Really glad we could help ya out, and that your auger runs like it should!  :thumbsup:
That's what it's all about...helpin' folks out and havin' some fun along the way. Take care of that feller, and you'll be handing him down to your kids to use.  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:53 PM »
 ;D.  Good stuff...My model 30 Jiffy runs great, run non ethanol and good oil in the proper ratio. Thanks for the good info. gents!

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:48 PM »
You guys ROCK!

Can’t thank you enough!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:37 AM »
You guys ROCK!

Can’t thank you enough!

Aww geez.....no need to! But I will admit I'm better lookin' than Doc, and can cook, too!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tight lines, Butcher!    :icefish:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Aww geez.....no need to! But I will admit I'm better lookin' than Doc, and can cook, too!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tight lines, Butcher!    :icefish:
lol you pay more for bacon than i do!!!!

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2022, 12:38 PM »
We have a 20-year-old Jiffy 30 and to be honest it has become a real pain. We have been using 40:1 True Fuel for quite a few years and last year replaced the carb with a new Tecumseh carb. It only seems to work on half choke, and yes, I have tried adjusting it.  It works but not like it used to.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2022, 12:45 PM »
Not getting enough fuel  if it runs on half choke.when its real cold my jiffy runs on half choke until it warms up.id look into a degraded fuel line too or plugged outlet in fuel tank.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2022, 01:39 PM »
....and look for a leaky gasket, dirty fuel cap, or maybe pinhole/leak in diaphragm...... :whistle:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2022, 01:45 PM »
....and look for a leaky gasket, dirty fuel cap, or maybe pinhole/leak in diaphragm...... :whistle:
id go with all except bad fuel diaphragm.say put new oem Tecumseh carb on but never know.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2022, 01:49 PM »
My new Johnson engine on my brand new boat came with a pinhole in the diaphragm, drove me nuts until I put the gas line under pressure and saw gas dripping out thru diaphragm. Also seen 'em with tiny tear at edge, too. So there! NYAA!   :roflmao:

Offline stas60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2022, 01:53 PM »
I was shopping for an auger then I spoke with my nephew. He said gas augers are like flip phones. Old technology. I thought about it. You have to carry gas. They're hard starting at times. So I bought the eskimo bit and a 5ah battery for my DeWalt. About 5 lbs. total weight. Tomorrow is the first trip with it. I hope I made the right decision. I'm too old to drill holes manually anymore.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2022, 02:01 PM »
I'm not going to turn this thread into a technology debate. Whatever works for ya, enjoy.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2022, 01:18 PM »
I'm not going to turn this thread into a technology debate. Whatever works for ya, enjoy.
Great out look! Like the old saying opinions are like whatever everybody has one! 😁
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Decided to reply, because my experiences with SeaFoam in my ATV haven't been so good.
My Bombardier Rally must be very finicky. Had regular pump gas in it for about a month and the carb gummed up.
Took it to authorized dealer to clean it out. he recommended SeaFoam. I mixed it per the instructions.
The same thing happen about six months later, and back to the same shop. They asked if I added the SeaFoam.
I said yes, but there was another repair bill. They added their mixture ratio, and the charge for installing it.
The third time they unhappily split the repair cost with me. I haven't been back; and changed to TruFuel - $$$$.

So the OP got me to research fuel stabilizers. The below are from manufacturer website SDS's.
I'm also just presenting as a FYI.

StaBil® and Startron® are primarily CAS:64742-47-8, Hydrotreated kerosene (synonym).
Sea Foam withholds the CAS: number of its main ingredient composition as a trade secret.

Sea Foam Sales Co. Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Hydrocarbon Blend†   < 95%
2-propanol (Isopropyl alcohol), CAS:67-63-0   < 25%
†The exact composition of the above listed chemicals are being withheld as a trade secret.

WERC's StaBil® Fuel Stabilizer SDS
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light, CAS:64742-47-8   95%
Phenol, isopropylated, CAS:90480-88-9 (C9H12O Isopropoxybenzene)   5%

Starbrite Startron® Enzyme Fuel Treatment SDS
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light, CAS:64742-47-8   90%-95%
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light, CAS:64742-47-8   < 10%

Coleman fuel has rust inhibitors and other chemicals, mostly naphtha.
Naphtha, white gas and lighter (wick type) fluid are considered interchangeable terms.
Note: Zippo lighter fluid is 70% CAS:68410-97-9 and 30% CAS:64742-49-0.

The Coleman Company, Inc. Coleman Camp Fuel
Light Hydrotreated Distillate, CAS:68410-97-9   100%

Klean-Strip & Sunnyside Corp. VM&P Naphtha
Naphtha; Low boiling point naphtha CAS:64742-49-0   95%-100%

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:36 PM »
Same here. Someone one here told me the same thing. And boy did it work great. I use tru- fuel.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:59 PM »
Don't know what to say. I have been using SeaFoam for many years I have a two stroke cultivator and a small two stroke single stage snowblower that are close to forty years old. Both run like they did when new. I use non-oxy gas, Amsoil Saber 100/1 oil and SeaFoam in the two stroke mix.  I use SeaFoam and non-oxy gas in all my small four stroke engines. Never a problem. I also use it in all my motor vehicles.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2022, 01:57 PM »
Well, I got the Jiffy working but my buddy bought an IPON Gen 2. Because of that we now have an anniversary addition Jiffy 30, with an eight-inch auger for sale. It also has a new Tecumseh carburetor. I also have a new in the box Wall-It bracket for the jiffy. Message me if you are interested.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.