Author Topic: Whitefish Lures/Bait  (Read 23317 times)

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish Lures/Bait
« on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:05 AM »
I am very new to whitefish fishing, but it sounds like it would be fun. I was just wondering what you guys use to fish for whitefish. What are your preffered depths to fish them at? Right on the bottom or do you tend to find them suspended?  The lake I will be fishing them at is gin clear and im sure holds a pretty decent population. Ive cought them in the summer fly fishing but never through the ice.
Any help is appreciated,
Frank

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whitefish Lures/Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:13 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention. The lake I am fishing has a maximum depth of 170 feet and there is an inlet stream, one main outlet stream, and a few points that form small bays.

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:38 PM »
You must have a presence of Zebra mussels do you?  I've fished Lake simcoe in Ontario and water is pretty clear as well.  Although every lake is different I would say anywhere from 25 to 65 feet of water would be fine.  Talk to some local fisherman?  They tend to move up shallow in this part of the country late in the winter and we target them in less than 30 feet of water right on bottom or as close as you can get.  With their mouth being shaped as it is, they definately do alot of their feeding on the botom of a lake, mostly small crustaceans such as snails, etc.  People do well with small shiners, and small pieces of fish as well.  Small hooks should be used as well because of their tiny mouth.  Most guys around here fish them with pickeral eggs and sucker meat.   My favourite lure to use is the williams whitefish/
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:09 AM »
I jig them with a 1/8 to 1/2 oz. green/chartruese lead head with a micro tube or power craw in some green to chartruese color with a few maggots on the hook for good measure.

Bounce the bottom very lightly...if you feel anything...Give'm the Lip Ripper!!!    ;D

Good Fishing  :tipup:

Offline colfax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:01 AM »
I have been having good luck with either a Genz worm or small spoon with 2 waxies. One waxie gets about half the bites.

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:08 PM »
hmm it really seems like they are liking the wax worms. Well since i cant get those here in ak ( the ones we get are about 1/4 inch long ) i think I will just use a little piece or two of night crawler on a small jig head.

Offline tzeigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2008, 12:38 AM »
On Green Bay (Little Sturgeon area of Door Co.) we have had good luck on a #2 swedish pimple.  Usually silver body w/ green or chartruse insert then tipped with a couple waxies or spikes.  They usually hug the bottom pretty tight. 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:07 PM »
in n. maine we use a sz.7 pimple w/ a 5in. light lined dropper w/ a sz6 or 8 hook. tip it w/ a small chunk of the local baitfish. i use smelt. tap the bottom lightly a few times then raise it off the bottom and pause for 5 seconds then repeat. if you feel a nibble wait till he bites harder or starts to swim off sideways then set the hook. works great around here. good luck!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Lately on Lake Simcoe 80' plus seems to be right. Jigging a 3" william's half & half jigging spoon within 10' of bottom is catching most fish.

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:46 AM »
great tips :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.