Perch, 4 lb Stren
Walleye, 6 lb Stren

Perchaddict

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: line
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2003, 12:39 PM »
I have used Vanish and its OK. I prefer Seaguar because it is not as stiff as Vanish and you can make minute jigging actions with it. I like flourocarbon over monofilament because you never breakoff when setting the hook after catching a bunch of fish. I`ve used the same jig for months at a time until the paint wears off and the hook gets dull from getting hooked on the ice a hundred times. Also the lead will break loose and slide around. Then its time to install a new jig.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

NAD42

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2003, 12:45 PM »
It's been VANISH for me all season, 2 thumbs up.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2003, 06:27 PM »
i prefer 2lb or 4lb trilene xl clear, however that south bend ice blue line isnt that bad.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2003, 09:33 PM »
I LIKE 2LBTRILENE ICE LINE IN NEW COLOR STEEL, IT SEEM BETTER THEN THE BLUE.
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

rgfixit

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2003, 12:25 AM »
Laxman,
Trilene Micro ice, blue, steel, clear in 2-6lb
2lb flourescent stren at dusk and dawn
2/8 Spyderwire when I don't feel like donating jigs to bass/pickerel and pike.

I guess the answer is a variety pack of lines on different rods for different situations. There's probably 6 spools in my shanty box every time I go out.

I believe line color matters and should be changed with water conditions.

RGFIXIT

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2003, 09:16 AM »
2lb. cortland ice for jigging
no stretch, nice and thin but very strong!
4lb. cortland ice on my tipdowns
again, very strong and on both of them the visibility is nice too. its yellow stuff.
i think i may even see if cortland has good softwater line too, i like it so much!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2003, 09:26 AM »
oakoarchard, Cortland does indeed make a nice line for non-ice fishing. I was turned on to it by a Cortland rep. a couple of years ago.The problem is finding it around here. It's called CAMO. Dick's and other stores sell Camo but it's XS(XL?) or something that stands for extra soft (extra limp?). Even the Cortland rep said to stay away from it. The stuff I got was just plain CAMO. As the name suggests, it is a changing color pattern of greens and browns. The first time I used it I was stream fishing for trout and I had trouble following the line on the drift until I got used to it.
Pete Lewis

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:14 PM »
Berkley Vanish.  4lb test.  I've used their ice line too.  It's okay, but lately I've been using the Vanish almost exclusively.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2003, 07:30 PM »
Golden Stren all the way 2 & 4 lb. I can see upward strikes that make the line go slack a and the fish dont seem to give a crap about the color of it. Its kinda like they are curious to what is on the end of it and bam strikes = fish.

Offline crappieslaerz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2003, 10:45 AM »
:D
I've been useing Berkley Trilene Cold Weather 2lb.test all season for slabs and can be so lucky to say that so far none have been lost down the hole! And I have caught up some nice fatty's this year! Proof is in the puddin Boy's! Crappieslaerz

crappie_hunter

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2003, 06:56 AM »
lighter is better

Tacklenut

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2003, 05:36 AM »
Give Tectan fishing line a try.Thin diameter with very good line strength.They make a line rated 2.2 lbs that is great for panfishing .The line is highly visable out of the water and disappears under water.I have also fished with Cortland ice fishing line and like it but the Tectan is better.You can purchase it from Cabelas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.