Author Topic: Wheeled Portable House?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline tarfu43

• IceShanty Rookie
Wheeled Portable House?
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:25 PM »
I'm debating whether to invest in a wheeled fish house (ie:  Ice Castle, etc.).  I currently use an OtterSled Flip-Over.  I figure the family would be more apt to join me out on the ice if it was more comfortable.  My question  to owners is this:  Are you glad you "upgraded" or did it turn-out to be more of a hassle than you thought (ie:  couldn't get it out on the ice due to snow, etc.).

Also, I'd like to hear from owners if they use it as their Summer camper, too.  (My wife seems to think that it would smell like fish slime in the Summer.  Does it?)

Anyway, please respond with comments (pros-cons).  Thanks much!

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wheeled Portable House?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Do you have kids?  Both shacks have their good and bad.   I built my own perm. shack is much like an ice castle cranks up the same.  The kids love to go out and even spend the night.  With that shack we can really go out in any weather.  have spent the night when the temp got down to -25.  Wind is not an issue with it either, don't hear the tarp flop all day and such, really it is just like sitting at home.  But with a perm shack I don't think you can run and hole hop to find more fish.  But we enjoy it very much getting out, all of us are comfortable and play board games, watch a movie, etc.......... until we get some bites.  The way i look at it, really good family time with them.
      Flip over, really good for moving and finding fish, heater in it and is comfy but only 2-3 can sit in it at a time to warm up.  My kids are 2-9-14 I have not taken the youngest out in the portable even, but can go most of the day in the perm shack.  Portable is easier i think over all, travel to the lake is easier, load up is easy just throw it in the back of the truck and take off. 
    Big perm shack is great too if you go out with some friends too, kind of like a meeting place play some cards...etc  is a really fun time.  I have not used mine for a camper in the summer, we have a camper so mine is the storage shed in the summer for all the ice fishing equipment, and show shovels.    If your a handy person you could build your own perm shack to cut down the cost too, Is a really fun project to do and use if you are able to do so.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I have a 6.5 x 12 foot wheel house, I love it. I use it for deer hunting in the fall and stay in it during the winter fishing season. It does not smell like fish, however after being in a few rental houses I can see your wife's concerns. A little care with handling fish is all it takes to keeping it smell free.

I also have an Otter Cabin. The Otter is nice but the Wheel house is totally the next level. If you are thinking the wife and kids the wheel house is as comfortable as your living room. Make sure and get the absolute biggest you can afford. I certainly wish I could have swung a 16 foot but at the time ( 10 years ago) the one I bought was $9000. Today you would be well on your way to owning a tricked out 18' for $18,000

An electric auger is nice for a wheel house, the smell of exhaust is something that is rarely appreciated. Hydraulic lift is the cats meow buy it always boils down to budget. If you get a v front your towing will be easier and a bathroom can be set up.

Be sure and shop around. For the budget minded Ice Castle is very appealing. Recently they completed their 10,000 house. However researching shows many are unhappy with them. If you are at all handy finishing a house can be a good option.
Don't forget that on a lake with a foot of snow it takes some power to bull it around. You don't want to find out on top of everything you need a new truck.

Hope you end up with a good unit for yourself and family.

WS

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:58 PM »
tell the missus to have no fear about the fish smell...unless you leave one in there in between seasons.  I have a converted popup camper that the top was ruined on and built the sides and roof back on to the bottom.  I wasn't thinking about using it as a camper, till we needed one  the next summer.  8 camping trips later, I think the whole family appreciates it...especially not sleeping in the tent.  I  put a 20"tv and dvd in it to entertain the kids, but I also hook up the underwater camera in it so everyone can see what's down below.  I even put a slot in to slide a 5k btu window unit in it for when we have power hookups.  works like a champ, and always get a few double takes at the camp grounds...especially when it's hooked up to my escalade! 

the point is for the money you are going to lay out (either store bought or homemade)  you want to use it as much as possible.  I can't speak for you...but my family camps all summer, and fishes all winter....win win.  I say do it, but get the most for the money.  craigslist always has good deals after the season...my buddy picked up a 6 year old fully loaded ice cabin for $6k...which I thought was a real good deal.  if nothing else take the wife and kids to the nearest ice show next year and have them scope them out for usefulness and cool factor.  my wife thought I was a complete nut for building mine until she sat on the coldest day of the year 2 years ago in sweatpants and a t shirt fishing with me for 8 hours.  she didn't say it, but I know that she loves it!

good luck and happy hunting!

pipe

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also in the market for a wheelhouse, only thing is it needs to be a toy hauler and ice castle is the only ones ice looked at, they seem ok but have heard a lot of bad about them. Price is right but I dont want to waste money on something like this.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:46 AM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also in the market for a wheelhouse, only thing is it needs to be a toy hauler and ice castle is the only ones ice looked at, they seem ok but have heard a lot of bad about them. Price is right but I dont want to waste money on something like this.

There are  few options for toy haulers. Lodge being one of them.

WS

Offline IceCrafty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:29 PM »
You could always use an enclosed trailer and modify it to your ice fishing needs. They weight lighter and can also be used as a toy hauler. Campers also work out on the ice. They have hole covers to install inside so you can use it in the summer months as well. I thought about converting my camper but the wife tells me NO. So I am just going to mount an old chest freezer on the back and convert it into a keg chest instead. That way we always have beer at the lake. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.