Author Topic: What kind of Rope to buy?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
What kind of Rope to buy?
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Got a new Eskimo Eskape flipover a couple of weeks ago. The rope that came with it is too short. What kind and thickness of rope should I buy to replace it with that will hold up?

Thanks

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What kind of Rope to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:47 AM »
I had the same problem with my Clam. I bought a 3/8" poly braid rope.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:55 AM »
Got a new Eskimo Eskape flipover a couple of weeks ago. The rope that came with it is too short. What kind and thickness of rope should I buy to replace it with that will hold up?

Thanks
I use a 12' piece of 1/2" limp nylon rope.  Make a loop big enough to put your arm through so you can "pull" from your shoulder if you want to.  Tie the other end to the sled.

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:08 AM »
3/8 poly rope will work really good. What I did with my clam voyager was take a long streatch of the 3/8 poly and cut off about 20'. Tie a large loop (about 3' diameter) in both ends.  I'd then loop my harness through the rope that comes from clam and put each loop over a shoulder and it made a really good home made harness. If I had a fishing partner then each of us could loop an arm over a shoulder and both pull that beast of a shanty.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I use double braid 3/8 or 1/2 rope on everything except my boat anchor rope with a little practice you can put a loop in the end or loop it back inside itself for a dead end thats easy on your hands.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Make a loop big enough to put your arm through so you can "pull" from your shoulder if you want to.

The loop for pulling with arm and/or shoulder does not work to well for deer. It probably wouldn’t be very effective for a shanty either. Why not use a deer drag harness and a carbineer for the shanty rope?

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:33 AM »
The loop for pulling with arm and/or shoulder does not work to well for deer. It probably wouldn’t be very effective for a shanty either. Why not use a deer drag harness and a carbineer for the shanty rope?
  X-2
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:01 AM »
Polypropelene ropes.  It won't absorb water and ice up like other ropes.  It is also highly mold/mildew resistance. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.