The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice auger torque  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Ice auger torque
« on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:06 AM »
My electric auger has a lot of torque and was wondering if anyone had some advice so I don’t end up destroying my knees and back

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice auger torque
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2021, 08:39 AM »
I believe you have the Clam auger(discontinued) ..how tall is the auger? If its short ..get an extension . What type of blades(flat,curved) ? Are they sharp ? The torque you are feeling may be the auger grabbing some ..sharp/new blades will help ...also does the auger have break through ring ? Lazer style augers can and will grab at the end .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2021, 11:41 AM »
I believe you have the Clam auger(discontinued) ..how tall is the auger? If its short ..get an extension . What type of blades(flat,curved) ? Are they sharp ? The torque you are feeling may be the auger grabbing some ..sharp/new blades will help ...also does the auger have break through ring ? Lazer style augers can and will grab at the end .

Blades are flat and sharp it’s not short it’s 38”

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Not sure how you are hurting your knees ..I can see wrist..elbow..shoulder injuries.. unless your footing is slipping ..and/or your locking your knees ..some good Kahtoola style cleats should fix the footing issues ..and bend them knees .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2021, 01:33 PM »
Not sure how you are hurting your knees ..I can see wrist..elbow..shoulder injuries.. unless your footing is slipping ..and/or your locking your knees ..some good Kahtoola style cleats should fix the footing issues ..and bend them knees .
Ok thank you
My knees would hurt right as the kick from the auger as it gets through the ice

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Ok thank you
My knees would hurt right as the kick from the auger as it gets through the ice

May be easing up as your about to poke through bottom may help?? Let the weight of the auger do the work...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:21 PM »
May be easing up as your about to poke through bottom may help?? Let the weight of the auger do the work...
Will try

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2021, 10:05 AM »
You shouldn't ever have to be bearing down hard on an auger to get it to cut; very little. As mentioned, ease up on it before ya break through and pull it up. After having knee surgeries, repairs,and needing knee replacemants now due to sports injuries, I'm thinking you have something else going on with your knees. They shouldn't hurt when pulling up an auger as the majority of the strain is in the lower back and shoulders/arms. Just sayin'.......
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2022, 07:45 AM »
Hey if any of you guys are from Rochester or in the area maybe we could meet up and I could show you what I mean

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.