Author Topic: Best Smoking Recipes  (Read 3383 times)

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Smoking Recipes
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:01 AM »
What is your favorite piece of meat /fish  do you smoke and is so what brines or rubs do you use

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Best Smoking Recipes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 01:39 PM »
When it comes to fish, i smoke both trout and salmon on a regular basis, in the winter lakers or splake that I keep usually hit the smoker, as for brines or rubs, most times less is more, let the smoke do it;s thing. When i do use rubs I like sweet over salty, I use a lot of granulated maple suger or honey.

As for meats, In the summer i smoke almost anything, but my fav's are Brisket and While Chickens. the Brisket is rubbed with a spicy mustard and a home made rub, then slow smoked for atleast 8 hours, then sauced up and toss on the BBQ to get some grill marks...

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:23 PM »
for fish i use enough salt to float an egg and a half bag of brown sugar for a brine.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:51 AM »
A real tasty treat is to take thick sliced bacon and rub brown sugar all over it and smoke untill done. just be carefull and use a drip pan and watch out for fires :o

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:24 PM »
As far a brine goes, I agree less is more.  I go with a gallon of water, a cup of salt, and a cup of sugar (half white, half brown).  For fish and birds I use alder, apple or corn cobs.  For meats, I use hardwood.  The tough part is deciding on the beer to wash it down with. ;D
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:43 PM »
As far a brine goes, I agree less is more.  I go with a gallon of water, a cup of salt, and a cup of sugar (half white, half brown).  For fish and birds I use alder, apple or corn cobs.  For meats, I use hardwood.  The tough part is deciding on the beer to wash it down with. ;D
huh? the beer part is the easy part for me.

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:56 PM »
As far as beer, I meant brand or home brew.  I have about 5 different kinds I brew, plus dozens of regular brands I drink. ::)
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:16 PM »
My Grandfather, Dad, and 3 Uncles were Butchers.
I'll have to dig up some of their old recipes and post them.
One thing they insisted on was to smoke strictly with Hickory or Applewood.
My Uncle Walt's Kielbasa was fabulous!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Good Memories!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
hey i like smoked food as much as the next guy, but i don't want to here about you smokin your uncles kielbasa.
no offence meant i was joking.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:45 PM »
What is your favorite piece of meat /fish  do you smoke and is so what brines or rubs do you use

i smoke like to smoke anything....

all species of fish
brisket
boston butts
pork loins
meatloafs..yes meatloafs

i use a dry brine/rub for them all

When it comes to fish, i smoke both trout and salmon on a regular basis, in the winter lakers or splake that I keep usually hit the smoker, as for brines or rubs, most times less is more, let the smoke do it;s thing. When i do use rubs I like sweet over salty, I use a lot of granulated maple suger or honey.

As for meats, In the summer i smoke almost anything, but my fav's are Brisket and While Chickens. the Brisket is rubbed with a spicy mustard and a home made rub, then slow smoked for atleast 8 hours, then sauced up and toss on the BBQ to get some grill marks...

sweet is always good but thats mostly a northern thing....the further south you go, the less sweet they like it...

bbq, u mean grill right?..lol

for fish i use enough salt to float an egg and a half bag of brown sugar for a brine.

thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy old school and for my own personal taste, ends up way salty... they use to use that formula because way back when they didnt have proper refridgeration...

i dry brine/rub .... 3 parts brown sugar - 1 part kosher salt plus spices

A real tasty treat is to take thick sliced bacon and rub brown sugar all over it and smoke untill done. just be carefull and use a drip pan and watch out for fires :o

YUMMMMMMMMY...in the bbq world we call this "Pig Candy"

i mainly use cherry wood because right now it is my new favorite wood but i have used them all including peach and most any fruit or hardwood i can get my hands on... for beef i use oak

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:51 PM »
 At this moment I am smoking some large trout that I removed after local tournaments earlier in the year. A blast to catch big fat trout on mt fly rod (one was 5.4 lbs.), but they don't have any flavor. I usually use a brine: 3 parts brown sugar, 1 part Kosher salt, mixed with hot water, whole peppercorns, and fresh dill. I brine them overnight, and smoke them according to size. That big Palomino is taking forever, but I pulled the salmon fillets after 6 hrs. It all depends on your smoker and your taste. I prefer apple chips or bark for my fish. Got to go check the smoker; X-mas breakfast should be special!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2008, 10:39 PM »
i smoke like to smoke anything....

all species of fish
brisket
boston butts
pork loins
meatloafs..yes meatloafs

i use a dry brine/rub for them all

sweet is always good but thats mostly a northern thing....the further south you go, the less sweet they like it...

bbq, u mean grill right?..lol

thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy old school and for my own personal taste, ends up way salty... they use to use that formula because way back when they didnt have proper refridgeration...

i dry brine/rub .... 3 parts brown sugar - 1 part kosher salt plus spices

YUMMMMMMMMY...in the bbq world we call this "Pig Candy"

i mainly use cherry wood because right now it is my new favorite wood but i have used them all including peach and most any fruit or hardwood i can get my hands on... for beef i use oak

i beg to differ, we use that salt formula because it makes you thirsty for more beer. :D

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:36 PM »
I picked up on smoking a few years ago with really good results.  First i built my smoker, then I started off doing Boston Butts with homemade rubs, then it got to the point i was doing so many for partys and what not, i went to a commercial rub.  I do just about everything as far as meat goes.  My favorite is my ribs and salmon. For the ribs i remove the membrane and the knuckle bones, then i slit both sides. I then soak them i Dr. Pepper for a few hours to overnight. Then sprinkle on the secret rub and work into the meat. Smoke at 225 with lump charcoal and hickory and use the 3-2-1 method.  My salmon isn't to much different from what i see posted. 3 parts of brown sugar and 1 part Kosher salt, and Garlic. I coat the salmon both sides and put it into a 5 gallon bucket overnight. Then i rinse off with water, dry with paper towel and smoke at 180 with fresh apple wood.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.