Author Topic: Beef Jerky  (Read 3574 times)

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
Beef Jerky
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:13 PM »
i know this isnt really something you can make on the lake, but i just make a batch of homemade jerky in my dehydrator for some icefishing snacking, wondering if anyone likes to indulge on some jerky on the ice as much as i do  :D  here is my recipe:

1-1/2 pounds lean boneless meat
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 vegetable oil cooking spray

marinate over night in the fridge and then throw it in the dehydrator at  155 and let it go for about 15-16 hours and enjoy (you can also make it in the oven but i havent tried that so i dont have the temps or time)

i also like to add some cayanne pepper for some spice but the ol lady doesnt like it says its hot  :P

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: Beef Jerky
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Add some Prague Powder #1 (curing salt) to keep your jerky from going mouldy.  I have made sausage and jerky since I was kid, learning at my father's knee(an old German butcher).  It is available at any butcher supply shop, cheap.  Without the sodium nitrite, your meat has not been cured and might have a "keeping" problem. Any meat that you might want to cure or smoke requires it, for longevity.  Other than that, you have stolen my recipe!!!!   ;)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I make and eat jerky all the time.  Are you slicing yours or grinding it.   I do it both ways but I find its easier to grind it and run it through a Jerky shooter or something similar.   

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:57 AM »
if you want to do it in the oven, all i do is set it on its lowest setting and leave the door partially open to maintain 170 degress. leave it til dry. then i just keep it in the fridge. i dont have to worry about keeping for a long period of time, it doesnt last that long.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline Gold Rush

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They don't call it a "bobhouse" for nothing...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Love the jerky on the ice! Used to always use this recipe:

Venison Jerky

3 lb Venision-sliced super thin
1 Bottle Liquid Smoke
1/2 c Black pepper
1/4 c Seasoned salt
1/3 c Dry onion powder
1 ds Lemon pepper
1 ds Paprika
2 tb Garlic powder
1 ds Cayenne pepper

Use a large container with lid. Mix all ingredients (vary spice to your taste). Add meat. Shake well. Refrigerate 24-48 hours shaking often. Spread in dehydrator. This takes usually about 36 hours.

Just Game Recipes is located at www.justgamerecipes.co m

I got one of them jerky maker gun kits made by Eastman Outdoors at Walmart for Christmas and was skeptical of grinding the meat and shooting it out of a jerky gun, but it came out excellent using the Eastman's hickory seasoning and drying it in my dehydrator.

I have tried drying it in the oven before at low temp. like 110-120F, but it comes out much better in the dehydrator.

Several on Ebay for $14.99 including postage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastman-Outdoors-Jerky-Maker-Gun-and-Drying-Rack_W0QQitemZ290065573313QQihZ019QQcategoryZ52509QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You can't tell which way the train went by the tracks it left behind.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Beef Jerky made with kits supplied by High Mountain is the best I have ever tried.....bar none...especially cracked pepper and garlic....heck any of the various blends....anyone else?....Grump

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:30 PM »
I'll look through the old kitchen junk, I bought a bef jerkey kit on sale a while back, came with a little packet of stuff, and a little gun that spit it out in tubes or strips. pretty darn good!

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:09 PM »
i also got one of those kits for christmas a couple years ago. i havent used it but since everyone is putting out some great reviews i might just have to try a batch

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:18 PM »
definetly a fishermens favorite food!!!

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Grump  -

I absolutely love the Hi-Mtn bourbon bbq blend jerky cure - I have had awesome results with both venison and goose jerky using this pre-mix, and following up with a nice long stint under some heavy hickory in my Bradley smoker.......haven't topped it yet.......and it's been a hit even at my office :)
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:43 PM »
 I love jerky on the ice, especially deer or moose jerky! At the very least you have somethin to chew on when the fish dont want to chew on your baits ;D
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline ranger_fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:04 PM »
hey i second the cracked pepper and garlic its awesome i do mine with beef brisket soooo good i'm gonna make some as soon as i have enough money to buy some meat lol

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Careful eating jerky on a - degree day...i saw a guy rip a tooth right out of his head.  Stuff is like leather when it's half-frozen.  I did laugh....but it really wasn't funny.   ::)

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:45 PM »
anyone wanting an ebook of jerky recipes let me know and I will email it to you either email me or PM me
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I'm with Moe ;D High Mtn. is the way to go ,test and approved by Jim Zumbo himself, or at least that's what he gets paid to say :roflmao: I would also recommend the jerky slicer board and knife which allows you to cut a thin and a thick slice and when you buy meat, go with the bottom round roast. I also had a spice kit that I bought from Sam's Club awhile back that was really peppery and loved it but can't find it anymore.

I throw mine in the Big Chief smoker even when it's cold and through an aluminized fire shelter over it as a woobie to keep it warm inside.

Brad

icewagon

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:05 PM »
The thing I don't like about pre mix jerky powder is it is full of MSG . have yet to see any without it.
  Icewagon

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:54 PM »
but it sure tastes GOOD!  Not like we live on the stuff anyhow.  So does a lot of take-out chinese food, amongst many other essential health foods :)
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.