Author Topic: Found some cats  (Read 1564 times)

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Found some cats
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Today was a day of many firsts. first catfish through the ice.  first multi species fish day colorado ice fishing. first crawdad through the ice. went to boyd this morning and left frustrated again around noon. headed to a park, in a city. thought i was gonna just check it out. ended up staying for 6 hours. non stop stocker rainbows and 12" catfish. decided to keep a few after i kept catching them. i forgot what it was like to catch alot of fish after going to boyd for many days in a row

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Found some cats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Nice job yeah Boyd gets hit pretty hard I only go there at first ice than I move on

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Nice, gotta love it when a day turns out like that!

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Cool. I’ve never cought a cat through the ice. It’s on my list. Good job!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 10:16 PM »
Sweet!  Nice “city” cats...pretty sure I know that spot.   ;D.  Any gills?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 10:26 PM »
Thanks guys! Catfishking - ever have any luck on cats at first ice on Boyd? Bigassbassman - no gills, but I did ice a couple tiny crappie. Lots of micro bites in-between cats and trout

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thanks guys! Catfishking - ever have any luck on cats at first ice on Boyd? Bigassbassman - no gills, but I did ice a couple tiny crappie. Lots of micro bites in-between cats and trout
no not at Boyd I haven’t but other lakes not far from there I have

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Sweet. Nice pond there-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Finished product, with roasted sweet potato. Ketchup for her, tartar sauce for me. She  calls them chicken nuggets. I let it slide.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I'm hungry-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Looks great.  Good job!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Looks nice a crispy — nice job.  I might need to fry up some perch tomorrow
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:10 PM »
thanks guys! i really like cooking catfish. as long as you clean them correctly, they are excellent eating.  i went back out with my daughter this afternoon. a few funny things happend. a couple random guys came out without an auger and wanted to fish so i let them punch a few holes. nice guys. one of them pulled a 13" crappie out. it looked gigantic. very healthy, tall and fat. the only crappie i was catching were 5".  my daughter caught alot of rainbows and one catfish. i couldnt keep the bows off the hook, but caught 2 catfish and a few tiny crappie. i think i had a larger catfish on, but he ended up breaking my 4lb test.  there was another familly out there who i saw pull up quite a few gills. little ones but gills.  at the end of the day when we were getting ready to go a police officer showed up and waived me over to shore. he couldnt have been more nice, i was worried based on previous interactions with officers. he said he had recieved some complaints about people on unsafe ice. i told him were about to leave and he said that solved it. though he didnt tell me specifically we couldnt be out there. ice was 4-5 in most places. a little chunky but overall ok ice. definitely safe. plus i wear ice picks and striker suit. i did notice on the way out that there was a small sign on the south end that said ice unsafe. i dont think it is, but i think they just want people off of it. confusing. but another great day icing fish

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Good job on the fishing and on the cooking.

s

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Yeah Jon they're a little more pissy about ice fishing herein Colorado.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Rumor has it they’re trying to shutdown all ice fishing on city of ft Collins waters.  I’ll bet you it was some local busybody who wants to control others.  Nate and I had to deal with it on a killer bluegill lake in a different county due to a ridiculous technicality.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Rumor has it they’re trying to shutdown all ice fishing on city of ft Collins waters.  I’ll bet you it was some local busybody who wants to control others.  Nate and I had to deal with it on a killer bluegill lake in a different county due to a ridiculous technicality.
I saw that --- there are a few guys getting together to speak with the city about that ridiculousness.  I think the city council meeting is coming up, maybe even today?  Anyone live in FoCo and know more?

Anyone who's interested in voicing their opinion, should think about being heard.  Now's the time to change things for the better. 
https://www.fcgov.com/council/
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Bigassbassman is this true, is there a meeting today? Can anyone confirm date and time? I might be able to make it. I have a background in public speaking and a law degree. Plus I could give them first hand perspective of someone who practices ice safety and has been out recently in the area

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:26 AM »
I took a look at the agenda for tonight's meeting and no mention of ice fishing in agenda. It could be in other business, but there is no way of knowing from what is posted.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I took a look at the agenda for tonight's meeting and no mention of ice fishing in agenda. It could be in other business, but there is no way of knowing from what is posted.
Yeah, I didn't see it on the agenda.  I'm not sure how their meetings work, but it is possible maybe people can bring up "other business" for discussion, or to ask if issues are brought up at the next council meeting?  There is an email address listed on the website, as well as a phone number.  I'm in Denver, so I won't be going, but if you go, let us know what you find out.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:05 PM »
If i knew something more substantial and what specific time I would make an effort. It would require bringing a 5 yr old with me...single dad...which i dont mind doing, just can't be there all night.  Plus, im refocusing my efforts into larger cats and heading north to my former home state on thursday.  hear things are going well up there, gonna give it a try for my first time this season

Offline 5280 Adventures

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Never a cat through the ice. Its on my list. Nice job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.