Author Topic: What the heck?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What the heck?
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:53 AM »
I can't ever remember an ice season like this one. I've caught fish this year but maybe half  of what I typically do and they have been a battle. Getting skunked at Elevenmile is certainly not uncommon but I'm seeing reports of skunks at Antero, Tarryall and even Skagway which is unheard of. Larry Falks' report at 11milesports is usually pretty upbeat but this weeks report is pretty somber. We can all understand how global warming would affect the ice caps but I wouldn't think it would affect the fish. I've gone from scratching my butt to scratching my head instead cause I'm losing confidence in my flawless technique.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What the heck?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Yah been a real tuff ice season for me also.  Thats why Ive been open water fishing 5 times already and am gonna take the boat to Pueblo saturday.  Ill prolly do some ice fishing for macs in march or april-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:59 PM »
It's been a weird season for sure. I've been catching fish on different lures and in different places, my old standbys have been too inconsistent... At least if this weather keeps up there will be plenty of open water soon!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Over the last ten years I've got skunked at the Mile three times, yet in the past two weeks I got skunked just as many times. Over half a dozen visits and the largest trout I've caught was 17"
and the largest I've seen was 18". Biggest pike seen maybe eight lbs. I'm not finding them like in years past. My honey holes are sweet no more! BOL Slayerfish at Pueblo.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:40 PM »
So far even last year wasn't as bad as this year, for me, and I went for the polar plunge last year.  Now I'm fearing the open water might follow suit. 
Bud

Offline fishfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I usually catch fish and if not almost always have a couple hook ups and bites. 
I went to Twin Lakes, and that is the biggest sad sack of a fishing hole I have ever in my life seen.  I drilled ten holes in various depths ranging from 30's to 60's.  I only saw one single fish rise up, but didn't bite.  I was told that the far side of the lake is the best.  Next time I will do the walk to the other side.  I met a guy who had caught some rainbows in 5 feet of water, but most just swam by.  They don't want to bite, they wont bite.
Saw some people down by the power plant on the edge of the ice.  They are completely crazy.  Had a 4 wheeler to also.  No fear! LOl  See if I can get the picture I took, cracked me up.  It was my first time there, and I will have a better idea where to go next time.
"Dynamite works great for fishing, but I don't recommend using it through the ice".

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:41 AM »
There's a picture. First week of February. Shirtsleeve weather. Temperature in the mid 70's. South shore of Pueblo in the background and not another boat as far as the eye can see. Couple of nice walleye. Life is sweet. That's probably enough ice for me.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:45 AM »
wow already

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:59 AM »
I smell a fish fry lol ::) ::) What not out there today ?
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I smell a fish fry lol ::) ::) What not out there today ?

Nah fished some local ponds. Got a slimer to avoid the skunk!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishmohr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:19 PM »
I fished Eagle Nest, NM two weekends ago.  We caught a lot of perch.  Small but yet tasty.  Then fished Ute Lake and caught several nice eyes.  Pueblo could be very good right now too.  This weather sucks for ice fishing but it wont be long until we put boats on the water. 

Offline basschaserII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Be nice for same open water but if they don't  open the ramps and inspect your boat what's a guy to do.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Be nice for same open water but if they don't  open the ramps and inspect your boat what's a guy to do.

PLO, Lonetree, prolly a few others-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Fish from shore?   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.