The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: steel vs flourocarbon experiment  (Read 9464 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: steel vs flourocarbon experiment
« Reply #60 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:07 PM »
What so you guys recommend for someone who can't hook into a decent pike no matter what he's dangling in the water?

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:07 PM »
What so you guys recommend for someone who can't hook into a decent pike no matter what he's dangling in the water?
golf ;D
in all honesty it's all in the hours you put in

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #62 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:26 PM »
After seeing a friend of mine get cut off on #50 floro. I'll stick with the steel.

X2 but my buddy was using 80lb!

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Definently interesting but Ill be more impressed when you post one over 20lbs on flouro.  Id also agree that the experiment wasn't fair.  No surprise you caught 80% of the fish on flouro.
Seen plenty of 20s on flouoro

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #64 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:37 PM »
You are all a bunch of rookies. I wrap my steel leader with flouro.  ;D
Just add water.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #65 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:57 PM »
3' of 40lb seaguar fluorocarbon blue label, no weight, crimped, and 6/0 octopus got these top side (16 & 21)..I've since upped to 50lb even tho I have never been cut off but I know the day can come.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:07 PM »
people are worried about line. I wise person once told me. "look at a plug, it has 2 trebles, split rings, wire, and a cheap s***** paintjob and fish still hit it and you are concerned about them seeing the line." look at the stuff our buddies north of the border and out west catch pike on. that's all I have to say.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:18 PM »
3' of 40lb seaguar fluorocarbon blue label, no weight, crimped, and 6/0 octopus got these top side (16 & 21)..I've since upped to 50lb even tho I have never been cut off but I know the day can come.

Coordinates or it never happened.  Also those pike are instagram stars!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:31 PM »
C'mon man! You gotta let it get around 50 - 60 posts and have guys start calling each other names first...  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

And I'll buy the first round of popcorn. Butter or no? Or is that another thread?  ;)2

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Coordinates or it never happened.  Also those pike are instagram stars!
My following on IG does not make them stars lol Im A nobody on there! And u know the coordinates well lol..we gotta get out there soon Jon!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #70 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:51 PM »
My following on IG does not make them stars lol Im A nobody on there! And u know the coordinates well lol..we gotta get out there soon Jon!

Yes it does. LOL
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:02 PM »

Were both of those the same spot?  You're right its almost prime time.  Soon those fat females will run shallow and look for stuff to rub on to break up the egg mass before spawn.  Probably my favorite time to chase them.  Get flags in 2 fow.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Were both of those the same spot?  You're right its almost prime time.  Soon those fat females will run shallow and look for stuff to rub on to break up the egg mass before spawn.  Probably my favorite time to chase them.  Get flags in 2 fow.
No, very different spots on very different lakes. The 16 was a surprise

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:05 AM »
golf ;D
in all honesty it's all in the hours you put in

Hahaha yeah one of these seasons I'm gonna dedicate to just big baits and waiting for it to happen. Golf doesn't get it done.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Hahaha yeah one of these seasons I'm gonna dedicate to just big baits and waiting for it to happen. Golf doesn't get it done.
Thats what i did last year..chased nothing but toothies. If i wasnt fishing for pike, i was fishing for pike bait. every weekend, every day off. Up at 3 am to make the trip and be sure i was first on the ice so I can pick my spot. Bad weather? gotta go anyways. sub zero temps? gotta go!  last 100 hours without a flag? keep going. Noone else wants to fish? more for me.  I enjoyed last season despite the grind. I learned a lot! It truly is about the time you put in. Will some guys get lucky on minimal effort, ya. But to be a pike fisherman, you have to have no life and be a bit insane-good luck if you make the commitment

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Thats how I did it too.  It took over 440 hrs to get a real giant on a single lake but I did it...and then stopped fishing for them for the most part.  I'm getting the itch again though.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:38 AM »
I think for most guys half the challenge is finding a body of water that has a healthy population of pike that doesnt get pounded.  Some lakes just dont have quality fish
When we first started targeting them we fished alot of spots that had been stocked over the years with nothing to show for our efforts. Then we decided to just hit one spot until we caught one. It took almost the whole winter to get a 3lber.
Over the years we have found a few spots that always produce, nothing over 20lb but some solid fish.
When they aren't safe, i change it up for other species as i dont usually fish further west than the Ct. river

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #77 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:39 AM »
people are worried about line. I wise person once told me. "look at a plug, it has 2 trebles, split rings, wire, and a cheap s***** paintjob and fish still hit it and you are concerned about them seeing the line." look at the stuff our buddies north of the border and out west catch pike on. that's all I have to say.

Yup. What convinced me is the time I caught a 24 incher and it had a 12" sucker in its belly. Wire leaders...big trebles...and big baits for me. If they're hungry enough they'll hit a hay bale hook at the end of a logging chain.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #78 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:05 PM »
I think for most guys half the challenge is finding a body of water that has a healthy population of pike that doesnt get pounded.  Some (most) lakes just dont have quality fish

:thumbsup: ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Seen plenty of 20s on flouoro

I seen 5 in 1 year. ;D

C+R a 29.9 and a 29.13 along with 3 other NP over 24lbs all on 60lb fluorocarbon leaders the same season, if you take your time battling a giant and don't set the hook like a mad man you will land them all...I even landed a 32lb8oz Musky on the same 60lb leaders.  :tipup:

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:55 PM »
I seen 5 in 1 year. ;D

C+R a 29.9 and a 29.13 along with 3 other NP over 24lbs all on 60lb fluorocarbon leaders the same season, if you take your time battling a giant and don't set the hook like a mad man you will land them all...I even landed a 33lb8oz Musky on the same 60lb leaders.  :tipup:

Nice fish Dan, we all know you put your time in! I think nearly every time i was out last year I would see you! Definitely some bucket list fish there!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #81 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:57 PM »
Nice fish Dan.  Reminds me of a time when the pike regulars would post giants here frequently. 

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Nice fish Dan.  Reminds me of a time when the pike regulars would post giants here frequently.

True now we keep them to yourselfs. ;D What happens on the ice stays on the ice.LOL.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Yes sir!  Reminds me I ought to text mr. Pikekiller and see what he's been up to.  I wonder if he ever looks here anymore.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:23 PM »
I think for most guys half the challenge is finding a body of water that has a healthy population of pike that doesnt get pounded.  Some lakes just dont have quality fish
When we first started targeting them we fished alot of spots that had been stocked over the years with nothing to show for our efforts. Then we decided to just hit one spot until we caught one. It took almost the whole winter to get a 3lber.
Over the years we have found a few spots that always produce, nothing over 20lb but some solid fish.
When they aren't safe, i change it up for other species as i dont usually fish further west than the Ct. river

That's the reason I don't really chase pike.
In the early 80s it was no where near as popular and we fished an eastern Ma lake where we were usually alone or part of a few small groups. We had good action with 3 or 4 pike landed per trip but almost all under 28". Only a few over 30" and never saw anyone get a giant. We always used 20 lb mono leaders (I know, crazy, not advocating it, just saying). Our lack of big fish had nothing to do with bite offs though, we just never hooked any.
Then towards the end of the 80s, into the 90s, pike fishing word got out. Every weekend looked like a tournament. You had to get there at 4:00 am to get a parking spot. At that time, in that place, the new pike anglers were often of the unsavory type, beer cans everywhere, obnoxious behaviour, very un-family friendly.
And the action dried up as those little 24 - 28 inch fish became legal and got taken by the hoards. I quit around that time but did not hear of many big fish coming from there. I think the state stopped stocking it.

Now I occasionally target them halfassed on the flyrod in open water in a certain river that has plenty smalls. I don't cast wire on my flyrod so I use the flouro. With long bodied flies and short hooks I don't get bit off hardly at all but admittedly my sample size is small.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #85 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Mike Z thats a good background story.  Flyrod pike sound like a good time to me.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:47 PM »
That's the reason I don't really chase pike.
In the early 80s it was no where near as popular and we fished an eastern Ma lake where we were usually alone or part of a few small groups. We had good action with 3 or 4 pike landed per trip but almost all under 28". Only a few over 30" and never saw anyone get a giant. We always used 20 lb mono leaders (I know, crazy, not advocating it, just saying). Our lack of big fish had nothing to do with bite offs though, we just never hooked any.
Then towards the end of the 80s, into the 90s, pike fishing word got out. Every weekend looked like a tournament. You had to get there at 4:00 am to get a parking spot. At that time, in that place, the new pike anglers were often of the unsavory type, beer cans everywhere, obnoxious behaviour, very un-family friendly.
And the action dried up as those little 24 - 28 inch fish became legal and got taken by the hoards. I quit around that time but did not hear of many big fish coming from there. I think the state stopped stocking it.

Now I occasionally target them halfassed on the flyrod in open water in a certain river that has plenty smalls. I don't cast wire on my flyrod so I use the flouro. With long bodied flies and short hooks I don't get bit off hardly at all but admittedly my sample size is small.

Start throwing top waters for pike and you will without a doubt get bitten off if you aren't using wire.  i've since changed after losing several frogs to break offs.
westernmas on the finder

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:51 PM »
I seen 5 in 1 year. ;D

C+R a 29.9 and a 29.13 along with 3 other NP over 24lbs all on 60lb fluorocarbon leaders the same season, if you take your time battling a giant and don't set the hook like a mad man you will land them all...I even landed a 33lb8oz Musky on the same 60lb leaders.  :tipup:

Nice , some slobs there. Jealous for sure
What state are you getting muskie?

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Start throwing top waters for pike and you will without a doubt get bitten off if you aren't using wire.  i've since changed after losing several frogs to break offs.

Makes sense. They must gulp the whole frog right down.

With flies I hope to hook them outside the teeth. If I was more serious about it I'd probably tie some flies on long shanked hooks. I really don't like trying to throw wire with the flyrod, especially with big bulky flies. I really don't do it much or with any seriousness. If I get one I'm happy but I'm not super dedicated to it. Getting bit off is the chance I take in order to use the tackle I like.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #89 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Nice , some slobs there. Jealous for sure
What state are you getting muskie?

Some big ones in Jersey when there is ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.