The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Round and about  (Read 287 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Round and about
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:57 PM »
I took the son of a friend icefishing at Savoy State Forest today.

Another gorgeous day . . . sunny, blue skies, temps started in the upper twenties and ended up in the mid thirties.  Skating rink quality ice conditions again . . . about 12" of white ice.

We started at North Pond around 10:30 AM and fished till about 1:30 Pm.  This was the third time I ever fished it.  For the first time, I set up by the Rocks on the NW corner of the Pond.  (The other two times I had  been down by the beach). We had a total of 4 flags (which is 4 more than the other 2 times I fished there) and my friend's son caught a 9" brookie.

There was only one other guy there who arrived around noon and set up down by the beach with his 2 little kids.

We cooked lunch on the ice.  I heated up some black bean with chicken, rice and vegetable soup and made some grilled cheese with tomato sandwiches, and had a nip bottle of home-made grape/strawberry/black raspberry wine, and after an apple for dessert, followed it up with a pot of hot coffee for me and a thermos of milk for my friend's son.

Then we picked up our gear and headed over to Bog Pond, where we fished from around 2 to 3:30 PM.  Lots of flags and a fair number of pickerel, including one monster of a 22" that my friend's son caught.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Round and about
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Jim, sounds like a good day. I fish North pond quite a bit and I find that jigging works infinitely better than traps.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

JAstaFerrero

Re: Round and about
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Sounds like a good time and an even better lunch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.