The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Great first day out and thanks to IS member  (Read 288 times)

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great first day out and thanks to IS member
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Finally got out for the first time this year with my son and my dad.  Flu and worked kept me pinned the last few weeks.  My dad had not been out in 20+ years and he really wanted me to take him so up to NH we went where I grew up and parents still live.  JigChaser08 was kind enough to share some info since I had not fished in this area for a VERY LONG time.  We started out at first light and I checked the ice to make sure we would all be safe.  Walked around with the spud for a bit and chipped some holes that seemed a couple days old or so and ultimately found about 7-8 inches on the avg.  By mid day we had quite a bit of water on top but very strong ice.  Set up our traps and had a flag before the 5th or 6th went in.  Iced a small brookie.  Set up remaining traps and then went to work with the short sticks.  Fish were very agressive and small gold kastmasters tipped with a waxie seemed to be the go to for the day.  Caught and released many brookies on the jig sticks and even my son and dad got in on that action.  Flags were poppin' all day but had a lot of hit and spits as they just didn't seem to commit at times.  Decided to drill a few holes out in the deep water for some browns and had 2 flags within 5 minutes....both decent brookies that were hooked deep so we kept them.  No browns showed up but we had non stop action and iced a lot of fish.  Thanks Henry for the info.  We all appreciated it.  I did not have cell service and left the phone in truck.  My son did take some but didn't send them to me.  A great day on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.