Author Topic: survival or emergency pack?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
survival or emergency pack?
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:19 PM »
what types of survival or emergency packs do you carry?  i've noticed that i tend to quit carrying after a couple years till i get in a little bit of trouble again.  

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:survival or emergency pack?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Great topic Alaskanman!  I had dug through mine and revealed a pack of fire starters, bic lighter, two heavy duty wax candles, 2 small ziplock bags for drinking water, 4 high carb bars, 2 foil emergency blankets (serves two purposes one for heat retention and signalling aircraft), iodine tablets, pea less whistle, packaged hand warmers, compact compass, and a pocket first aid kit.  Pretty much it!  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:36 PM »
don't forget the cell phone.  Even Alaska has pretty good coverage.
If your pulling a sled, a small poly-tarp and 20 feet of light rope works wel for a make shift tent.  Or bring a shovel (or frying pan if you want something to cook in) to dig a snow-cave.  

Icy Mike

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2004, 01:58 AM »
one last thing I forgot... if your fishing alone handheld ice spikes (on a line running from wrist-to-wrist inside your sleeves) will help to pull you out if you go through the ice.  If you fish with a buddy, bring a rope at least 25 ft long with a loop (big enough to slip a hand through and wedge into the wrist) pre-tied to one end.  Keep the rope on shore or each carry one.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.