Author Topic: QUESTION  (Read 4638 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
QUESTION
« on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:26 AM »
If you lend a shanty to one of your buddies cause they either dont have one or they want to try it out before buying one, and they get checked by a c.o. and they say that the shanty belongs to their friend and they are just using it. Are they suppose to have their name and address on it even if paper and taped on it? How does this apply? Is the person fishing always have to have their name on it? Example: friend used to leave fish house on lake all year and other people were allowed to use it providing they clean it up afterwards and dont destroy it. Of course if the owner came out they would have to leave. Kind of  like a duck blind, if no one is hunting and set up before first light it is open to hunt unless it has a lock on it. Just wondering?????

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:36 PM »
if the law states "owner" then I would use the owners name.  probably just warn you anyhow.  I haven't had one say anything to me about mine yet.  its just on a piece of paper in the window.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:39 PM »
not to hijack your thread but id like to add another question regarding names on things.  what about those automatic hook setters out there?  are they just rod holders or are they "tip-ips" and need tagged as a such?

OANN the real story

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:31 PM »
I put my name on mine just to be safe! Hex

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:42 PM »
I bought a shanty off my grandfather yrs ago .he took a permanent marker and wrote his name and info in huge letters on the canvas just below the (plastic slot for your name tag ) but that being said my name is nowhere on it and I've been checked quite a few times over the yrs and CO has never said anything to me . Maybe just luck but who knows

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:26 PM »
I believe the law only applies to shanties left out all night. And if you were the one using it I would say that info would be more important than the guy who owns it had you not returned home that night.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:52 PM »
the way I understood, its for all shanties all the time. when law was made there was a lot of discussion on here.

OANN the real story

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:58 PM »
So then, as long as the owner has his name on it , it doesn't matter if he uses it , or someone else???

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:05 PM »
the way I understood, its for all shanties all the time. when law was made there was a lot of discussion on here.
X2

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:47 PM »
So then, as long as the owner has his name on it , it doesn't matter if he uses it , or someone else???

generally the law is as stated, so.......it states "owner".  don't rely on hear say, email the DNR.  then print out the answer and put it in the tackle box. ;D  I don't know anyone that has gotten a ticket for shanty markings yet. anyone else?

im thinking same goes for automatic hook setters.  it states "tip up" nothing else.  they mite change the wording in future. but as it states just "tip ups" need marked.

OANN the real story

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:42 PM »
I put my name on my hook setter just in case the CO's having a bad day.
Tom

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:28 AM »
Pure speculation here, but the way I understood it, its for shanties left out for multiple days unattended basically so theres someone to blame if it's a problem. I dont see why it would need a name on it otherwise.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Pulled this from e-regs...

Ice shanties or portable ice-fishing shelters must have the owner’s name and address or the DNR-issued Customer ID number in 3-inch block letters on the outside of the door. Between sunset and sunrise, any ice fishing shelter or portable shelter must have at least one red reflector or a 3-inch by 3-inch reflector strip on each side of the structu

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:13 AM »
I guess when I read it a few years ago I misunderstood the night part partaking to reflectors and not the labeling. Hmm maybe I should add it...lol

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2019, 05:25 AM »
some I run into have never even heard of this law. lol 

I put my name on my hook setter just in case the CO's having a bad day.

his having a bad day has nothing to do with it.  if your not breaking the law he has to take his bad day down the road. lol

OANN the real story

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:50 AM »
generally the law is as stated, so.......it states "owner".  don't rely on hear say, email the DNR.  then print out the answer and put it in the tackle box. ;D  I don't know anyone that has gotten a ticket for shanty markings yet. anyone else?

im thinking same goes for automatic hook setters.  it states "tip up" nothing else.  they mite change the wording in future. but as it states just "tip ups" need marked.
Indiana verbiage only says tip ups. Michigans on page 10 says and similar devices. I fish Michigan sometimes so was being safe.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Indiana verbiage only says tip ups. Michigans on page 10 says and similar devices. I fish Michigan sometimes so was being safe.
Better safe than sorry!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:40 AM »
nope, nothing wrong with that at all.  like stated already, one less avenue to hassle ya down.

OANN the real story

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:27 AM »
nope, nothing wrong with that at all.  like stated already, one less avenue to hassle ya down.
Especially since I tend to have a beer in hand when getting checked on the ice...ha
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:56 AM »
some I run into have never even heard of this law. lol 

his having a bad day has nothing to do with it.  if your not breaking the law he has to take his bad day down the road. lol
                 He can have a bad day and make your day terrible, But the judge will have the final say.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Especially since I tend to have a beer in hand when getting checked on the ice...ha

I usually do also, one time I had a six or laying in the shanty of tallboys . I was halfway through the first one when I got checked and the young officer seem to have a problem with it so I quit drinking. Because I figured that he was going to wait for me and sure enough when I left the lake that night he was parked on the road waiting for me and pulled me over. First thing he said you smelled alcohol I said you seen I had a six pack look in the back of my truck there's only one missing and that was it

Offline blairj32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Thanks for this post! I have never heard any of this before. Do tip-ups have to be labeled with the same information as the shanties? It fumbles my mind that so many of you and others out there have been checked by a conservation officer while fishing, in my 30 years of ice fishing I've never even seen one on a lake. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone the rest of the season!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for this post! I have never heard any of this before. Do tip-ups have to be labeled with the same information as the shanties? It fumbles my mind that so many of you and others out there have been checked by a conservation officer while fishing, in my 30 years of ice fishing I've never even seen one on a lake. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone the rest of the season!

Yes you must have it labeled.  I just bought one recently and just put my ID # on it.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:37 PM »
How many of you even carry a paper license anymore ? a few years back a DNR officer told me that 90% of people that he checks all have them on their phone now you just screenshot it and when they check you show them your phone I've been checked quite a few times in the last 3 years on lake Michigan and haven't had a DNR officer complain about that way yet

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:42 PM »
                 He can have a bad day and make your day terrible, But the judge will have the final say.

cant make my day terrible, lake.  i not don't break fish game laws.  im not kid anymore if they get crapty with me they get it rite back.  they wont give you a ticket if it wont stand up in court. 

well maybe we saved bairj23 some money!  ;D 

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:47 PM »
How many of you even carry a paper license anymore ? a few years back a DNR officer told me that 90% of people that he checks all have them on their phone now you just screenshot it and when they check you show them your phone I've been checked quite a few times in the last 3 years on lake Michigan and haven't had a DNR officer complain about that way yet

mine is a laminated lifetime card.  its getting almost unreadable, its been in there so long.

OANN the real story

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I do my MI and OH on my phone

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:13 PM »
mine is a laminated lifetime card.  its getting almost unreadable, its been in there so long.

Do they still feel the life times anymore ? I wish I had done the hunt and fish back in the day when they was about 800 bucks ! I'd like to know how much money I've spent over the years on hunting and fishing license ....

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:55 PM »
I do my MI and OH on my phone

Beats carrying 10 pieces of paper from different states folded up in your wallet

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:14 PM »
No more lifetime licenses

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.