Author Topic: Slough  (Read 2997 times)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slough
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Went to Slough yesterday with buddy. Went to south end. Got on ice about 12:30. Solid 6" of ice, measured several holes.
Only about 15-20 cars in lot??? At dark there were only 5 of us on ice.
Caught pobably a total of 60 gills between the two of us. Lots of 3" to 7", fished until dark, pretty good bite late. Ended up keeping 20? between the two of us, 8 inchers. Caught half doz Golden Roaches about 8"-10", Eagle bait.Pair of  Eagles were getting full picking fish off ice, neat to watch them.
Caught 2 crappies at dark, one 12".
Didn"t kill 'em but a fun day. I'd say ice was good for now, lots of air in it. Ice solid along banks. Coming home saw quite a few cars coming out of refuge area. Caught them on Moxi's, homemade flies with Bee Moths and some on plastics.
Didn"t use a Locator!!! Old school! ;D
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slough
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:18 AM »
You the man Teach! Sounds like fun. Hex

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:21 AM »
WTG teach.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Sounds like a great time! Gj and sure the eagles were awesome to watch!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:55 AM »
One of these days I'm heading down there, congrats Teach.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Good day !! Thanks for sharing

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Teach,
What did the crappie hit on?

Surprised you don't fish lake George, kinda in your back yard.
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:34 PM »
That's because lake George is a giant septic tank

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:16 AM »
I would think that shallow bite would be on fire right now.  Teach, you tearing them up?

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:34 AM »
Answers: Lake George is 80% cleaner then it was when I was a kid back in the 40's and 50's. Heck, we swam in it right where the Library is now at the City Beach, with diving platform and everything. And we lived to tell about it!
But all the houses around lake had sewers that went right into lake. That's all cleaned up now. Water runs all the way from Lake Delcarlie into Lake George so it picks up a lot of fertilizer along the way. I've caught 16" crappies out of Lake George and that is a fact. The small bayou next to the Middle School (old HS). and on west side of 3rd St Bridge in spring. Lots of big bass in there  today! Couple of walleyes caught last summer???

Catching gills in shallow water? Only fished Slough thru ice this season and it's all shallow. Tues was in 4' of water.
Caught crappies on homemade fly and bee moth.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Iceman4521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:07 AM »
was Thinking of fishing the slough for a couple hours Saturday morning but it’s supposed to rain...is there enough ice to hold for a few hours Saturday?
Andrew

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:00 AM »
was Thinking of fishing the slough for a couple hours Saturday morning but it’s supposed to rain...is there enough ice to hold for a few hours Saturday?
It is only Thursday??? Day by day, one day at a time....

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Like I said in my post, Tuesday Slough was good. South banks still frozen but if it rains Friday, depending on how much, it wouldn't take much to make it iffy,
Teach
Teacher Preacher

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:17 PM »
All gates to birdhouse have been closed. Access to the back from Filbert lane. There is a patch of open water just past the launch area to the right. More open water in the gap and along south shore. Ice was holding around 6 inches but getting soft. As for the bite....was nonstop from 10-3.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:26 PM »
All gates to birdhouse have been closed. Access to the back from Filbert lane. There is a patch of open water just past the launch area to the right. More open water in the gap and along south shore. Ice was holding around 6 inches but getting soft. As for the bite....was nonstop from 10-3.

Well, that puts a damper on things!
Got one goin'!

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Best trip of year Friday Caught fish all day,lots of dinks brought home twenty. Most bites 8 inches under ice in 4 feet of water.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Guess I went to wrong place. Got on Slough about 2:30 pm, went to same area on south end where caught them on Tuesday, . 5' of water, found the weeds , fished until dark after hooking up with new friend from Kouts. My total, 5- dinks 3", 3 gills  7", one 8" crappie!!!! That was it!!!
Talked to guy at parking area, he got a good limit of 25 from same hole in 3 1/2 ' of water.
still 6" of ice. Snow melted off and top inch was slushy but firmed up at dark. Hope rain stays away,
Heard the back end was good. Road was terrible.
That's fishin.
Teach
Teacher Preacher

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Any bait shops close by Willow?

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Any bait shops close by Willow?
Right across from entrance.

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Thanks

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Any Ben on latley ? I'm leaving work in about an hour I'm only 15 minutes from the slough.  Gonna give it try if any one wants to meet up or us out there ?

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Any Ben on latley ? I'm leaving work in about an hour I'm only 15 minutes from the slough.  Gonna give it try if any one wants to meet up or us out there ?

Heard there is only a small portion of fishable ice in the front. Rest of it is shot or ripped open. Guys said to be sure to spud because of how much it varies. Good luck. Be safe!
Got one goin'!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Ok thank you much for this update !

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Careful!!!
Heard only 3 1/2". and lots of open water.
I went to Upper Sandusky, OH yesterday  for buddie's funeral visitation ands came back to Hobart this morning. Route #30 from Valpo east. Was surprised how many barrow pits along 30 were half open or ice free, especial into Ohio. Some were locked up with white ice but sorta convinced me to not risk it.
Teach
Teacher Preacher

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Yep after reading NDA post i decided no thanks ! This ice season may be it for me. I have also noticed the same in ice condition just driving around . I've been from here to Lafayette and in to Warsaw area . And everything looks sketchy ! Even tried to get on a new local pond that I got permission on and it was shot worst ice I've seen yet. Now it's just a waiting game for a warm up . Untill then I'll be on the rivers and Creeks bank fishing 

Offline crill1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:13 PM »
5 on loomis last night plan on fishing that till April

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Hope you mean March, April is a LONG WAY OFF. Remember, you need a new license after March 31. Picked up mine on the internet yesterday. I am ready...

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:50 PM »

Maybe in a boat ! If your still ICE fishing in aprill I'll buy you a 6 pack of your choice and deliver it on the ice lol

Offline crill1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Lol...this ice on loomis will be around for a bit...yet I can go to Wisconsin and ice fish prolly all the way till May..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.