Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67283 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #210 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Thanks Saskbucks.  I hope to be back out in 7 to 10 days.  About the time the cold weather leaves I hope.

gman51

« Reply #211 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:51 AM »
nice to hear your in good spirits. you'll be out there soon. just take it easy.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #212 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Thanks Rip, I sure hope so.  Yourself and other members are getting way ahead of me on the number of holes drilled.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Jan 08, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Good thing you weren't by yourself,  Get well soon Church, wish ya a speedy recovery!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Thanks Cholo:  Like all of us, there were times when I was by myself.  Had I been by myself and no one drove close
enough to me, I would of spent the night on the ice, don't think I could of even used my cell......not good to even think about what could of happened.

Thanks again to all for the good wishes........now let's get back to posting on the fishing..........readi ng these posts is good
therapy for me :) 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #215 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:00 PM »
Man, that's nasty thing to happen CR.
Hope you are back out fishing soon. :)

Good to see the Blackstrap still producing for you all. :tipup:

WW

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Thanks WW.  By time the weather warms up, I should be good to go.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Geez that's scary!

Got to get better in time for the Blackstrap Derby on Feb 29th buddy.

The comments on the speed of the vehicles this year is true.

I have seen too many vehicles in the last couple weeks setting frozen water speed records, **censored** is wrong with these idiots?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:30 PM »
I will add get well wishes here to CR as well. DH and I were out with him at the time. We knew it was serious when his rod lay on the ice and no perch were being caught.

With the arrival of colder weather, Doug has been busy solving the problem of freezing Jaw Jacker holes. Pictured below is his prototype on trial. A second hole is drilled beside the first and a channel is chopped connecting two. Burning charcoal in the coffee can heats the water which circulates from one hole to the other. The system worked well yesterday, even though the only pike caught in that hole bit the lure on the drop before the Jacker was set. More testing and tweaking will no doubt be done.

I still think a grill on the can would be real handy come lunch time.

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:17 AM »
I will add get well wishes here to CR as well. DH and I were out with him at the time. We knew it was serious when his rod lay on the ice and no perch were being caught.

With the arrival of colder weather, Doug has been busy solving the problem of freezing Jaw Jacker holes. Pictured below is his prototype on trial. A second hole is drilled beside the first and a channel is chopped connecting two. Burning charcoal in the coffee can heats the water which circulates from one hole to the other. The system worked well yesterday, even though the only pike caught in that hole bit the lure on the drop before the Jacker was set. More testing and tweaking will no doubt be done.

I still think a grill on the can would be real handy come lunch time.

Might be cleaner and easier to use Gel fuel packs in that coffee can? They are dirt cheap and would be easier to transport and move around. I like the idea!

Offline Big Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your temporary illness, CR. We hope you have a full recovery quickly. Having said that, the perch and walleye could use a break from that green hauger with the perch eye. You truly are a legend to this forum and legends never go away, so I am sure you will be back in action soon. Happy fishing soon.  :icefish

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:57 PM »
I was glad Speckspotter was out with me that day, as he took my truck back to his place and then was good enough to drive it back to the city for me a couple days later......thanks Speck

Thanks for the kind words Big Gator.  The green hawger isn't a secret anymore and I am starting to get some steep competition......which I enjoy,
as it keeps me sharp and on my toes.

I am not sure about the Legend part.......but maybe you could lead with those remarks when my wife get's you to do my eulogy :)

Looks like Saturday will be one of the warmer days for the next week or so.  I hope everyone get's a chance to get out and has good luck.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #222 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:13 PM »
When CR is back on ice. those perch probably have already forgotten about the danger of green hawger.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #223 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Good one Toon.....lol

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:25 AM »
has anyone noticed work on the causway yet or is that road still open

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I was there yesterday. No signs, no equipment, it looks like nothing has been done at all. I have heard the RM is still in the process of tendering the project.

The road is open for now.

Also, the north end access is rutted but accessible unless you are taking your Maserati.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I was there yesterday. No signs, no equipment, it looks like nothing has been done at all. I have heard the RM is still in the process of tendering the project.

Also, the north end access is rutted but accessible unless you are taking your Maserati.

The project was awarded to Alan Construction for 5 million. I think it's so high to cover the cost of the late/delayed start completion penalties. No word on start date.

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:45 AM »

thx guys for the info need to get my shack there soon  Is there much snow on lake by south launch after last snowfall?

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:26 PM »
I was driving back near the bay across from Shields today.  Someone accidentally left behind a mostly gone sports drink and beside it was an Aquavu MOPOD. If this was you PM me and hopefully I can get it back to you.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

gman51

« Reply #229 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Out with saskbucks today hunkered down in the shelters catching the walleyes oh and a whitefish another great day thanks saskbucks great to be out fishing you.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:09 PM »
Nice catch RIP.....Good to see someone can nail a white.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #231 on: Jan 15, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Nice catch RIP.....Good to see someone can nail a white.

What depth were you catching whitefish? I only got big ones before ice or at early ice in the shallow of less than 10 feet of water.

gman51

« Reply #232 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:50 AM »
was fishing in deeper water 21-22 fow actually reeled up to it around the 10' mark early am (dark) this one did bite. usually you will snag them when that happens (if your not fishing for them). happens quite a bit on this lake. for those who are wondering or getting excited about what those big marks are half way up the water column that never bite. most times their whitefish.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #233 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:47 AM »
was fishing in deeper water 21-22 fow actually reeled up to it around the 10' mark early am (dark) this one did bite. usually you will snag them when that happens (if your not fishing for them). happens quite a bit on this lake. for those who are wondering or getting excited about what those big marks are half way up the water column that never bite. most times their whitefish.
More whitefish snagged than hooked in the mouth for me as well in shallow water.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Was out yesterday by the launches. There’s signs saying that the causeway will be closed January 20th. Does anyone know how long it will be closed for?

gman51

« Reply #235 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Was out yesterday by the launches. There’s signs saying that the causeway will be closed January 20th. Does anyone know how long it will be closed for?     
should be quite awhile into the summer i would expect... detours would probably go around the north end of the lake then back down to the causeway on the east side. unless you go around from the south end.? either way its a bit of a tour. probably more details to follow. but your right sign says bridge closed on Monday. 

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #236 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Just looking for snow and drift conditions on the boat launch access. I haven’t been out for 2 weeks and plan on bringing the little fellow tomorrow. I can’t see it being too bad

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:06 PM »
was out there this weekend  and there was a few drifts but nothing your garden tractor couldn't get through

Offline TherealTrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:08 PM »

closed till june 1  not sure where our detour is gonna be

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:14 PM »
So the causeway is closed now already?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.