Author Topic: trying smelt Fishing  (Read 2099 times)

Offline nhtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
trying smelt Fishing
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:16 PM »
 I would like to give smelt fishing a try and it looks like this weekend i am going to get a chance (fri Night) i have my self a two man portable shelter and jig poles. if you guys could pleases fill in the rest for me  time to fish, a decent spot, bait, Pretty much everthing. i have never done this before. Due i need a special license any info to help would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Adam

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: trying smelt Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Go to Suds and Soda in greenland and they will set you up with some rods and bait (sea worms). They will give you direction to a couple of places just down the street. Bring a chisel to cut a trough in the ice ( 6 or 8 inches wide by whatever length you need) and set your portable over it. Use small pieces of the worm on various style hooks or jigs and try different depths. Chances are you wont be alone out there so don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:29 PM »
you could always try great bay up in newington theirs a place where you can rent a bob house and all the gear at the great bay retreat

Offline nhtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:31 PM »
What time should i be looking at to fish i hear most people talking about night time, and would you have the number for either of these places

Thank You

Adam

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Usually people fish the incoming tides i think.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Incoming night tides are usually the best. Great Bay Retreat doesn't rent shanties anymore. You can launch and park there though for a donation. There is a metal box fastened to the house next to the back door to drop a donation in.

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:36 AM »
its been a couple of yearssince i was up there. when did they stop doing that?

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I don't remember exactly when they stopped renting. It has been quite a few years. Was a pretty big dissapointment. At the time they were going to do "something else" with the land back there but nothing ever happened. They still allow people to launch a shanty and park there. I usually pay what they used to charge, $13 to launch and $2 to park, if I have others with me then I pay $5 to park. They seem happy with that. Maybe see you out there. If the weather stays cold I hope to lauch next weekend.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:38 AM »
i think the ol timer that ran it died, an the son was a puttz.. and that ended that

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:42 PM »
No he is still alive. Their names are Len and Gayna Thomas. If you see them say hello. They are good people!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:53 PM »
well thats good news, so what happend . just got to be too much work ?

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:04 PM »
It was kind of a combo of things from what I got from Gayna the year after they closed. The taxes were steadily increasing and the income from the rentals wasn't cutting it, they were getting older, and they had plans for the land where they used to store the shanties. She wouldn't say what the plans were but nothing ever happened, yet.

It was pretty sad when they closed though. I grew up going there at night on the weekends with my Dad. I used to look forward to getting a ride out to the shack on the little trailer that Len towed behind his (antique) snowmobile. Mmm, I can still smell the exhaust, LOL.

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I remeber that I went out there with a portable t.v. and watched the super bowl just to get away from my ex. wife

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:39 PM »
ME TOO!! Oh wait, that wasn't a TV...it was a bottle of Jim Beam, LOL.

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:43 PM »
LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.