Author Topic: Baffled,where are the shanties ?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
Re: Baffled,where are the shanties ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:35 AM »
I was amazed that there were no shanties on Center Harbor...but everybody was packed in like sardines in Meredith.  Quite a few were portables.

I often wondered that myself. I wondered if it was a nostalgic or tradition thing out there. Kind of reminds me of the small town on the ice in "Grumpy Old Men." I like it though. They've been there every year and are somewhat like a part of NH.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Without a doubt, hard sides are a ton of work.

I like my bobhouse so that I can fish in any conditions mother nature throws our way, especially in windy conditions as it is often on Newfound. Also like that fact that my wife CH fishes with me and enjoys it as much as I do. I like to make sure she is comfortable hence a hard side.......firm believer in happy wife / happy life. Going on 29 years strong, so my philosophy is working.

I am very fortunate to live near the lake and surrounded by those that take shifts to protect and check our houses regularly. We all help each other getting on the lake, moving around the lake, and getting off the lake. Without the Circus, maybe I'd do things differently.

I fish very hard in all conditions during early ice, get it out of my system then retreat to the comforts of my bobhouse Jan 1st.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I have a pretty nice setup, my Clam Bigfoot with central heating and integrated cook stove... real nice chairs.. but there is one single thing that I will always be jelious of with the hardsides......... a woodstove. My buddy with his hardside makes sure his woodstove is nice and cool before he leaves, and then sets it all up with paper and kindling and all that, so he just shows up, strikes a match and starts drilling holes. By the time the holes are drilled the shack is warm. A woodstove dries out your gear ten times faster than any propane heater. I still won't trade my setup for a hardside, but man, that woodstove sure is nice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Hard sides are like swimming pools. Its better to have a neighbor or a buddy with one than having one yourself.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Hard sides are like swimming pools. Its better to have a neighbor or a buddy with one than having one yourself.

True dat....

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Sounds Like the same goes for a boat. I cant part with mine though shes a Gem!
Salmonemia

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Sounds Like the same goes for a boat. I cant part with mine though shes a Gem!

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:05 PM »
while i too like having the house out there and have had one out practically every year in the last twenty, i feel freer by not limiting myself due to the hardside commitment.
perhaps this is due to the climate changing and producing less favorable ice. those who have been out there see year after year late ice or weird ice and so on.
it used to be the norm that one had to have a house out there just to make things bearable. now i'm not preaching climate issues, just calling it the way I see it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.