Author Topic: truck thru the ice...  (Read 3722 times)

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: truck thru the ice...
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:26 AM »
you know as we (sportsman) laugh and joke about going through the ice. These kind of things do damage the fish eco system . As a end result our enjoyment leaking oil/ antifreeze potential .Wouldnt you think?

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 AM »
you know as we (sportsman) laugh and joke about going through the ice. These kind of things do damage the fish eco system . As a end result our enjoyment leaking oil/ antifreeze potential .Wouldnt you think?
Ahhh, not this again.. Every year we go through this ::)  I can tell you from experience that WAY more I/O boats sink to the bottom every summer and pollute just the same.. Makes a big mess, but nobody seems to care because it's summer, and boats can sink..   :icefish:
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Again, I am not a huge fan of car traffic in lower NH, we are on the edge of safe ice most years. But if I was to drive on the ice I would take my beater 1997 ford ranger with 153000 miles rather than my new F150 super cab.  I see so many new vehiclels out there.  Goodness, why not visit Uncle Henrys and go get a Maine Beater, and get 60 day temp. Plates and use that?  Just a thought.

Oddfish
Wouldn't it be better to just get a ATV.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to just get a ATV.

Absolutely!  That was my opening comment about "I'm not a huge fan of car traffic, but........".  Some people however, must take their vehicle out there, and it's fully legal and their right to do so.  So given that I made the suggestion that it not be the car you use daily.  We are suffering greatly from the loss if a car right now because some dip arse thought it a good idea to try to beat a red light  :%$#!: :cookoo: :%$#!:  .  So at this moment I've got a pretty good bead on how it feels to be down a necessary vehicle, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Ice depth tables are great in laboratory settings, but not really practical around here given our freeze thaw cycles.  Sure some places are fine, but it seems that most years the trucks go through in abut the same places, and for the same reasons.  Just seems silly to me. 

As for the antifreeze and oil, the antifreeze if it were to totally leak out would cause a minor disruption around the vehicle for about an hour and then be assimulated into the environment and degraded.  The oil is more problematic, but no worse than the already mentioned other oil sources such as two stroke and run off. Most times the oil does not leak from the sealed engine compartment.  Fuel is a different problem,j as it can escape in some vehicles, however, once the ice cleared it will volatilize on the surface and become air pollution by in large.  Dubya"D"4T is also highly volitile and goes mostly to gas form given time.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:56 AM »
I have my bobhouse out in Meredith Bay.  My plan was to take it off Sunday morning.  That was royally fouled up when I found the giant gapping hole left by this truck going through.  I was dissapointed the way the driver left the ramp after he got his truck out.  There were giant ice blocks baracading the ramp that IMO were carelessly left on the ice.  Accidents happen but I think a bit of effort to reduce the impact on others is the right thing to do.  Even if it does get cold enough to refreeze a bit, there will now be huge frozen ice chunks blocking all of the houses from coming off. 

Anyone else have a house on Meredith bay and up a creek?  Should we set a date to try and tackle getting a bunch of houses off the ice?

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I have my bobhouse out in Meredith Bay.  My plan was to take it off Sunday morning.  That was royally fouled up when I found the giant gapping hole left by this truck going through.  I was dissapointed the way the driver left the ramp after he got his truck out.  There were giant ice blocks baracading the ramp that IMO were carelessly left on the ice.  Accidents happen but I think a bit of effort to reduce the impact on others is the right thing to do.  Even if it does get cold enough to refreeze a bit, there will now be huge frozen ice chunks blocking all of the houses from coming off. 

Anyone else have a house on Meredith bay and up a creek?  Should we set a date to try and tackle getting a bunch of houses off the ice?

Well said.

How's cusking been?

OD

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Well said.

How's cusking been?

OD

Hey Odd!  Cusking has been heating up.  Still waiting for the monster.  Managed one 23.5" just shy of 4lbs on derby weekend.  Would love to get out again for night bite and jig.  Still looking for my first cusk on the jig rod.  Hope all is well with you and your season.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Hey Odd!  Cusking has been heating up.  Still waiting for the monster.  Managed one 23.5" just shy of 4lbs on derby weekend.  Would love to get out again for night bite and jig.  Still looking for my first cusk on the jig rod.  Hope all is well with you and your season.

Good to hear.  Short of catastrophe, or child illness I will be out Friday night for a good long while, as well as other night coming up.  The kids have off the next week so hoping to get them out a bunch.  I'll update when I go.

Randy

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:23 PM »

Bobhouse rescue tomorrow.  Me and and a friend each have one on Meredith. 
If the ramp is junk the only alternative I'm aware of is at the end of the bay, up the rocky shoreline. It kinda sucks.  Right next to the bay point hotel is the best spot. If the snow packs up it smoothes it out.
BE CAREFUL coming up the bay towards the shore, you'll be passing the inlet from the brook. Give it a WIDE pass and check as you go. Lotta water moves out of there. 
I'll report on conditions tomorrow eve. Wish me luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.