Author Topic: question on ice thickness  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Altonbayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • of all liars; fisherman are the most trustworthy.
Re: question on ice thickness
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:22 AM »
how much ice would be ok for a 5000 pound truck? i plan on takin my truck out on the ice this year.little worried

My 5000lb+ truck; 13-15" minimum. Girlfriends car; depends on the bite.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:42 AM »
I believe if you drive on the ice and take the"dip" don't expect any auto insurance coverage to help pay the bills unless you have some extra $$$ coverage.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I believe if you drive on the ice and take the"dip" don't expect any auto insurance coverage to help pay the bills unless you have some extra $$$ coverage.
If it is 4 wheel drive and you are on a lake it will be covered, as a body of water is a "public right of way."  Speaking through a friends experience...fully covered, $100 deductable and complete loss coverage.

Offline sgthoskins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:13 AM »
If it is 4 wheel drive and you are on a lake it will be covered, as the a body of water is a "public right of way."  Speaking through a friends experience...fully covered, $100 deductable and complete loss coverage.

Wow I didn't know know that.
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

www.northeastshooters. com

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Yep, and as long as you make a effort to remove the vehicle as quickly as possible, you will not be fined.. This comes up all the time.   ;D  I was told this from a F+G officer and a guy from the EPA, while we watching a crew float a vehicle.. :tipup:
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Hmmmm, $24,000 pickup or a $3,000 used snowmobile or wheeler? I know what I would rather have sink.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I value my truck to much to risk having it go in and can't afford a diver......besides I don't mind walking to my spot.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I don't care how much ice there is...i like my truck too much to risk hitting a spring or having a pressure ridge open up and down goes everything. No thanks! I'll walk or take the wheeler out.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:15 PM »
My truck weighs 9000lbs and you won't see me driving it on any ice no matter how thick. I don't even like driving my 850lb quad on ice less than 10 inch's
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:13 PM »
how much ice would be ok for a 5000 pound truck? i plan on takin my truck out on the ice this year.little worried

1)  You have heard several instances of "no way would I take my truck on the ice" and that is obviously the safe advice (I grabbed some used sleds and use those vice a truck myself).
2)  If you muddle through the sarcasm (Frank... ::) ) there are some good reasonable ice conditions that are probably pretty good although they are all based on inches of solid black ice which we never see that much of in NH...always a little black ice, a little slushy ice, a little black ice etc.
3)  The biggest concern for me isn't necessarily going through the ice out in the lake but the damage done to the boat ramps from people driving trucks onto the ice.  It seriously chews up the launches and ruins it for everybody.  Makes it dangerous for even those just trying to walk out onto the lakes.  So for that reason (and the fact I LOVE my truck and wouldn't risk it) I wouldn't consider driving onto the lake. 

Good luck whatever you decide (just please if you do drive onto the lake use your own privately owned or friend borrowed lake access vice a public launch  ;D )

Tom
TP

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:38 PM »
i never drive my truck on the ice, i'd rather walk. i can pull my sled anywhere i need to go. i learned to travel lite, so keep your truck in the lot and hoof it. with the ice NH got over the past 5 years, just not thick enough uniformly to take the risk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.