The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Snowmobile went in  (Read 3075 times)

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snowmobile went in
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Snowmobile went thru today and is sitting on a rocky shoal about 3 feet deep . Can't seem to get either end out onto the ice  It is a heavy
bearcat. Anybody  have any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowmobile went in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:27 PM »
thanks

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:29 PM »
There is a couple of good you tube vids.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Joe I'll be happy to help lift that thing up on the edge of the ice for ya. I know your to old to be lifting that thing out of the water . We just need to find another sled or a wheeler to help twitch it out after .    Let me know .   I'm available tonight or after 3:30 pm tomorrow .

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Thanks . We are going up tomorrow am o give it a try using that other guys method
Its at camp cove  sebago' Maybe somebody will steal it during the night, I don'r know if it will run again
I don't know how o sent my phone # but on here  if we can't get it out

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Joe any luck ???  I'm home from work and available if you need me this afternoon . .

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Joe any luck ???  I'm home from work and available if you need me this afternoon . .

Thanks for your offer to help. We were able to get it out using the plank and comealong method. I got help from a couple of friends.
I would never have been able to do it myself at my age.
Now I have to figure out what to do with it as it is 12years old.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Good to hear you got it out .   You need to drain the water out  asap . Run tons of wd-40 down the cylinders after while pulling it over . Then drain it again . Do it a couple times . Then fire up and let it run awhile . Should be good to go after that .  Bring it in a heated area if possible . That way you can dry the seat out or it will freeze as hard as a brick in cold weather .

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Gassblaster, what do you mean drain it ?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:21 PM »
You need to get the water out of the motor asap . Drain it then poor wd40 down the cylinders while pulling the pull start. Keep pulling it and adding WD 40 .   Then drain everything again . Do it a few time then try to start it .   Once you start it let it get good and hot run it for awhile . Maybe wd it down again and you should be ok .

If you try to start it with water in it . It will lockup hard water doesn't compress like air and you will get hydro lock and damage it if you try to start it with water in it .    Wd 40 is the b est for this . The WD In wd40 stands for water displacement .

It important to get the water out and the wd40 in soon and get it started to dry out . Then run in on a rich mix . The water will rust the bearings and all the internal steal parts if you don't get it out fast .

I race remote control 2 stroke gas powered boats ( weed whacker motors ) .  That's where the gasblaster name originally came from .  When we sink one we pull the sparkplug turn it upside down and pull the pull start pumping the water out .  Then we load it up with wd40 a few times and pump it out like the water . After it all about clear of water it starts right back up and we heat it up good to evaporate the rest of the water . A good oil fogging after that to coat all the steal bearings and part keep them from rusting and we're good to go from there . It should work the same with any 2 stroke .  Of coarse you will have to drain the entire fuel system to make sure the water is gone everywhere .

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Joe,
Get an owner's and/or service manual for your sled. You may be able to get one online for free or small fee (good selling feature for later as well). Look the manual over for a section on draining it or parts breakdown to show where (if) the drain plugs are.

Some sleds (my antique has) have drain plugs down low for each cylinder you can remove and pull it over to get the water out. They also help when the crank gets flooded with fuel to drain the block.

Tell us what your sled is, maybe we can locate a manual for you
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I'm really glad everyone is all right.
Sorry about the sled and I'm sure you'll have it chasing flags again before you know it

gauge
Fishing the same way and expecting different results.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Artic Cat Bearcat 570

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I have no mechanical smarts . Does that mean tipping it over like his airplanes or just trying to put wd40  in the cylinders and turning it over
without the plugs being in ?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Joe, I feel for you brother but without mechanical smarts I think it best to take it to a shop or a pal with the smarts. You need to drain the oil from the oil drain, remove the spark plugs and remove the carb if it has a carb. All of that needs to be thoroughly drained and cleaned. Probably the gas dumped too and the tank cleaned out. A deep dunk does not destroy a machine but leaving it with water in it sure will in real short order. All the electrical connectors have to be gone through and cleaned and dried as well. If the bars and switches were under then they need immediate attention as well.

I have helped with machines brought up from 25 feet deep that were there a few weeks and they still run fine after being gone through. It is a royal PITA but it has to be done and done right away. There can be life after death but you must get on it fast.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline FISHFACE_55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I had a Skidoo Mach 1 that sunk in 30 feet I used a shop vac to suck the water out of the cylinders and crankcase.
I was shocked but it really worked.
It fired up right after doing both cylinders through the spark plug holes.
Polaris you usaly stand the machine up straight and the water will drain out the exhaust.
Hope this helps.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:14 PM »
do like other said and get a silent glow on it to really heat it up for a few days. she'll run again!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Couldn't get it going myself so took it to the finest mechanic in Freeport who fixed it in no time.
It had a massive mouse nest in air cleaner incidently but of coarse  that wasn't the main problem.
Thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.