The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Hole Hoppers missin the fish!?!  (Read 1701 times)

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hole Hoppers missin the fish!?!
« on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I was on a lake the other day with a know it all...nothing bugs me more....anyway he was telling about all these lakes hes been fishing and on on on on on..lol...he says I went to a lake yesterday drilled over 200+ holes....like its some kind of accomplishment...he says I drilled while the guy behind me dropped the Vex...he goes..."WE NEVER MARKED ONE FISH AND LEFT....lol...I am a firm believer that you must stick a lure into the water to know if there are fish close by...this guy also texted the next day to my uncle that he caught over a hundered fish while fishing with me...when we left he asked If I wanted his fish...he had 2...lol....does anybody just check a bunch of holes without actually fishing to tell if a lake is good or not?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Hole Hoppers missin the fish!?!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:35 PM »
i fish every hole i drill for at least fifteen minutes. sometimes the fish come because im jiggin a lure they are interested in.i have a routine drill about 8 holes in the spot ill be fishing,scoop,vex ducer in hole,drop jig down if nothing comes in a amount of time i go to the next one but still will come back to holes that produced nothing.i laugh when people hole hop with a flasher and dont even drop theyre jig in.just my 2 cents...

Offline CUDA!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:38 PM »
    Don't tell him anything different than what he has been doing. More fish for the rest of us, besides it's nice of him to drill holes for us to catch fish out of.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Allcaughtup - I call those people "one uppers" and we all have a few in our lives. I will fish every hole that I drill before moving on. By the way I offered you fish to, remember. When you going to pay me back. ;) They were all 10" gills taken at high noon from holes somebody else drilled. ;D
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:03 PM »
    Don't tell him anything different than what he has been doing. More fish for the rest of us, besides it's nice of him to drill holes for us to catch fish out of.

LOL...a whole army coulda fished his holes...I was thinkin boy thats gonna be dangerous when the temps rise....will it hurt or help the ice...

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:08 PM »
i always fish the holes its rare that u put the ducer in the hole and its stacked with fish

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:12 PM »
I catch alot of fish by that method if theres any fish in the hole I fish if not keep moving til I find them.alot of my holes might go not bing fished but it doesn't matter once you find them.I agree you can lure some in but if your not near lots of fish I keep moving to find them.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I drill holes until I find fish on the locater. If I don't see fish I drill more holes.  After drilling 50+ holes without seeing any fish I might sit and fish a hole for a while.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Hey I know a guy who fishes GR area a lot who is like that!! Sounds a lot like em..... ;D ;D

I dont fish a hole unless I see fish in it on the vex.  If I know its a good spot then I will check the hole for a couple minutes before moving on and continuing to drill.

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I dont fish every hole I drill. Im a hole hopper. Once I mark some fish Ill drop a line down. Then again ive never drilled 200 holes without marking a fish.  ::) Maybe 5 or 6 on most trips before I find something worth fishing.
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Twice this year I went to lakes and drilled about 50 holes and never marked a fish and never wet a line. If fish were present I would of marked them.....I'll go back through the holes I drill at least twice with the vex before giving up though.....of course this was done in water deeper than 20 ft. But this time of year I have been on lakes and fish were a foot under the ice in 30 ft and you would not mark them and we wacked them....mainly crappie but gills also. 

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:55 PM »
i usaully drill 10 holes fish all of them for 5 minutes or so unless i mark fish then after not marking a fish for a while i drill more holes and do it again till i find fish

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:38 PM »
It all depends on the lake and the species of fish I am going after. I will plug a bunch of holes and check them for fish I will fish a few of them if I like what I see down there. Be that Weeds the depth etc etc. I will give them about 10 mins then move on if I don't catch anything. If I am having fish come from a long ways from where I drilled the hole I try to to figure out where they are coming from(sight fishing)
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:26 PM »
i fish every hole i drill for at least fifteen minutes. sometimes the fish come because im jiggin a lure they are interested in.i have a routine drill about 8 holes in the spot ill be fishing,scoop,vex ducer in hole,drop jig down if nothing comes in a amount of time i go to the next one but still will come back to holes that produced nothing.i laugh when people hole hop with a flasher and dont even drop theyre jig in.just my 2 cents...
thats the way the lake was fishing was u could of drilled 100 holes if u wanted and wouldnt mark a fish but drill just 3-5 and drop down and like magic there they were!!!!! but couldnt mark a fish untill u dropped down!!! fished like that for 8 days did great everyday!!!!!! watched a few dozen guys come out and drill holes dropp vex and not mark nothing and move on drill more holes ,I just laughed if they would take time to drop in it will suprise ya!!
FISH:)mmm good

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Kind of a general statement. It really depends on what your after. I assume you are talking bluegill or crappie. If I am looking for a group of suspended fish then no fishing till I see them. If I'm in shallow area with some weeds then it is time to slow down. If your looking for fish you must be efficient or you may never find them, 90% of fish are in 10% of the water.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:46 PM »
It also has a lot to do with how well you can read your sonar. If you have it on the right settings you should be able to tell when theres fish right tight to the bottom.
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Guy watched to many Genz movies!
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Slabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its crappie time
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I hole hop, but only drill tops 10 holes per day. I usually have a good idea on where to fish, and give each spot time before moving, or move if the hole slows down to another hole. Usually by the time I get to 10 holes I've been out long enough to call it a day.

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:20 AM »
I've only drilled more then 10 holes in a day once, and that was on 2 lakes. I fish the same spots almost everytime and although I rarely limit out I usually bring home between 8 to 12 fish everytime. And that is just fine with me!!

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Twice this year I went to lakes and drilled about 50 holes and never marked a fish and never wet a line. If fish were present I would of marked them.....I'll go back through the holes I drill at least twice with the vex before giving up though.....of course this was done in water deeper than 20 ft. But this time of year I have been on lakes and fish were a foot under the ice in 30 ft and you would not mark them and we wacked them....mainly crappie but gills also. 

So you guys think there are no fish in that lake...lol...keep up the HARD work...I set out my tip ups drill a couple holes in my good area and tear em up...never have I drilled over 20 holes and not caught fish.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:00 AM »
alot of times nothing will be on my marcum....drop a lure onto the bottom lift it up...bam..fish start coming up for it....i think if you could really see all the fish swimming around...you wouldnt waste all the energy looking for a honey hole everytime...just my opinon...i also believe that once you set up the shanty and turn the lights on it brings the fish in and they stay there...but these hole hoppers freeze there butts of and burn all there energy running around...not to toot my own horn...but rarley get outfished by one of these guys...

Offline buzmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:28 AM »
it really depends on the water your fishing..deep water search and find missions.usually cut holes till I find what Im looking for..shallow water open 6 holes at a time and bounce..9 times out of 10 if fish are shallow I can get them to bite or at least come up off bottem and investagate.rippin a ton of holes shallow most often will spook fish into another area not far away..give it some time to settle back down and they will move back in.Im talking gill's here.  Perch Ive started at one end of the lake at daybreak and by noon Ive followed the school 1/4 mile across the lake.having to stay on top of a feeding school of fish can be a pain in the as-..some times U have to rip alot of holes..with the development of electronics you can see weather there are fish there or not.. "shallow or deep" if you know how to use your unit properly..my lx5 never lies..  why would anybody want to set and fish in holes with no fish is beyond me unless they just want to enjoy the day and kill some time..just my 2 cents..

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2011, 10:12 AM »
good call Buckmaster...I am not much of a perch fisherman...I want to once i get a snowmbile or something so I can go to the bigger waters...I do not fish holes without fish for more then 15 minutes tho...im not a "its just good to be out here dude" if you learn a few lakes well...it takes alot of hard work out of the equation...which is huge for bringing other not so diehards out to have a good time

Offline buzmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:39 PM »
thanks hux--buz buz.... :thumbsup: it was a Freudian slip 4 sure..and I agree with taking the hard work out.have taken many wokies with me over the years and its always nice to put them on fish. I'm not much of a perch guy either although I do get Lucky from time to time.Im more of a gill and eye guy

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Drillen until Killen

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:01 PM »
alot of times nothing will be on my marcum....drop a lure onto the bottom lift it up...bam..fish start coming up for it....i think if you could really see all the fish swimming around...you wouldnt waste all the energy looking for a honey hole everytime...just my opinon...i also believe that once you set up the shanty and turn the lights on it brings the fish in and they stay there...but these hole hoppers freeze there butts of and burn all there energy running around...not to toot my own horn...but rarley get outfished by one of these guys...
Thats fine to  fish the way you want but when I fish some of my buddies don;t even use fish finders they just watch me and when I find em they are welcome to fish with me.In shallow water I might fish a few holes as sometimes its harder reading but deep water don't waste near as much time getting rods out and trying every hole just the way I fish and love it.

Offline fisherman54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2011, 07:24 PM »
i have a hand auger so i really have no choice but to fish the first 10 holes i drill

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2011, 09:24 PM »
agreed the best bite i had this year thee was not one fish until you started jigging then they just apered
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.