The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: wind is gonna hurt the ice more than anything else fellas  (Read 3033 times)

Offline IntenseAngler_MI

• IceShanty Rookie
Its gotta get clear and cold, with low winds for ice to build.  Until then better get your muzzleloader out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: wind is gonna hurt the ice more than anything else fellas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:31 PM »
i hear ya on the muzzleoader gig.i dont think ill have good ice for another 3 weeks .

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I think every body in MI will be fishing in two weeks or less we have some real good cold coming once we get that first little layer on the wind will help it freeze faster.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:35 PM »
I think every body in MI will be fishing in two weeks or less we have some real good cold coming once we get that first little layer on the wind will help it freeze faster.

Just curious how so?? ???

You know that wind chill can only chill the air to actual air temp right? If is it 30 degrees outside and the windchill is 10degrees it is only 30degs. Wind chill will speed the rate at which the water cools BUT ONLY to the actual air temp, ie in my example 30degs.

Wind chill is phnomena that only effects animant objects live people and animals not inanimant objects like vehicles and water.

J-

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:46 PM »
i would have to agree with him as for it keeps the snow moving off or to one side of the ice and when you got bigger darker spots soaking up more sun it is better to keep the air moving across to keep it cold but then i could be talking out my @$$ so take it as you will :cookoo:
FISH ON

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Just curious how so?? ???

You know that wind chill can only chill the air to actual air temp right? If is it 30 degrees outside and the windchill is 10degrees it is only 30degs. Wind chill will speed the rate at which the water cools BUT ONLY to the actual air temp, ie in my example 30degs.

Wind chill is phnomena that only effects animant objects live people and animals not inanimant objects like vehicles and water.

J-

This is ironic because I had to explain this to a buddy today.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:19 PM »
This is ironic because I had to explain this to a buddy today.

seems that this comes up every year on several forums I am on. Most people think I am the nut when I explain it that way, even when I provide a link to the info on the NOAA webiste, LOL

J-

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Yup first we need no wind to get some ice formation. Then we need wind to keep the snow off the ice. That is one bad thing about Michigan. It seems every year we get a bit of ice then the lake affect kicks in and everything goes on hold. The forcast looks great though it will be below freezing for the next week. I bet I will miss first ice. I will be after some monster bucks in Illinois with my bow next week.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I'm probably going to miss some first ice this year also as my son and I are heading to Missouri for a late season muzzleloader deer hunt. I probably won't be back until after xmas unless we score early!! I want ice bad but hate to miss the hot bite that comes with first ice...oh wells I will just have to hit it hard during January and February!!! Everyone else enjoy and be safe!!

Good luck fishing and with the smokepoles and bows the rest of this deer season!!!

:icefish:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 04:12 PM »
If you stopped to look at all the variables that go into making safe ice on a lake it's crazy between lake location to inlets and outlets on a lake springs,wind,temp,seaweed,snow and depth of lake all a a role in delaying that sweet hard water  ;D

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:01 PM »
what I was getting at is that it just rained at 50f and the wind at 30f-20f  helps to cool the water faster by pulling the heat from it. That is why you freese when the wind is blowing because it pulls the heat from your body faster then when it is not windy. I know the wind has to stop to get a good layer of first ice. BUT  when the wind is blowing your temp on avg is cooler.

Offline Redbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:49 PM »
what I was getting at is that it just rained at 50f and the wind at 30f-20f  helps to cool the water faster by pulling the heat from it. That is why you freese when the wind is blowing because it pulls the heat from your body faster then when it is not windy. I know the wind has to stop to get a good layer of first ice. BUT  when the wind is blowing your temp on avg is cooler.

STOP!

Read JJC's first post.  Wind chill means nill when making ice on an inland lake.  Unless it has a heart beat and is above water wind chill is not a factor.
\"YOUR FLAG IS..... down!\"

Offline tank81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:57 PM »
lol we have an official iceshanty weatherman/biologist he is hired  hate to say it fellas he is correct darn u lol
BORN to ICE FISH forced to WORK

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:51 PM »

STOP!

Read JJC's first post.  Wind chill means nill when making ice on an inland lake.  Unless it has a heart beat and is above water wind chill is not a factor.

True the wind chill doesn't mean nothing but the wind it's self does pull warm air coming off from a body of water witch in turn does help cool off the lake to start to form ice but then the second ice is formed wind can only hurt things.........all things said, Ice is not science, it's MAGIC  ;D

Offline Alias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:39 PM »
 Things that happen here every year.................. .

1. first ice predictions WAAAAAYYYYYYYY ahead of realistic dates.
2. Strikemaster vs Jiffy
3. Vexilar vs Marcum vs Lowrance
4. Someone proving that wind chill means nothing when it comes to lakes freezing.

Let's expand this.............   Deer rut as in when a doe actually goes into heat has NOTHING to do with temperature, all about moon phazes. Try to tell that to an oldtimer lol.

Yeah, I look new here, but I was on here for a few years under another name.  Kind of funny when the same topics come up

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Things that happen here every year.................. .

1. first ice predictions WAAAAAYYYYYYYY ahead of realistic dates.
2. Strikemaster vs Jiffy
3. Vexilar vs Marcum vs Lowrance
4. Someone proving that wind chill means nothing when it comes to lakes freezing.

Let's expand this.............   Deer rut as in when a doe actually goes into heat has NOTHING to do with temperature, all about moon phazes. Try to tell that to an oldtimer lol.

Yeah, I look new here, but I was on here for a few years under another name.  Kind of funny when the same topics come up

Cold weather just better entices deer to chase. Proven on North American Hunter by Larry Weishun, leading wildlife biologist and deer enthusiast.

Offline Alias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:20 PM »
  Here we go :-\  I never should've opened this can of worms.   
   They showed that cooler temps make it more desirable for the does to move which we all know makes bucks move. They showed no such thing that temps enticed does to go into heat.       
  Love Larry, but gotta remember his education is from many years ago.  There are more recent studies on the net from universities and deer farms that prove the moon phase theory.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:25 PM »
  Here we go :-\  I never should've opened this can of worms.   
   They showed that cooler temps make it more desirable for the does to move which we all know makes bucks move. They showed no such thing that temps enticed does to go into heat.       
  Love Larry, but gotta remember his education is from many years ago.  There are more recent studies on the net from universities and deer farms that prove the moon phase theory.

Never said cold temps enticed deer to go in heat. My previous post clearly says "Chase", therefore I was agreeing with you...

Offline Alias

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:20 AM »
 Right on ;D

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:38 AM »
True the wind chill doesn't mean nothing but the wind it's self does pull warm air coming off from a body of water witch in turn does help cool off the lake to start to form ice but then the second ice is formed wind can only hurt things.........all things said, Ice is not science, it's MAGIC  ;D

But only if the air temp is 32 or below. You theroeticaly could have an air temp of 50deg and an wind chill of 30degs (wind would have to be like 100 but still) and the water temp will ONLY go to 50deg's (air temp) it is impossible for it to go below that even though the wind chill is 30deg's.

The only thing that the wind and therefore wind chill will and CAN do is speed the rate of cooling of an inanimant object (water in this case) to actual air temp. I think the correct term or "action" if you will would be convective cooling IIRC from College.

J-

Offline IntenseAngler_MI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I love it how EVERYONE is an expert on this stuff.  I just had to stir the pot a little bit.  A good wind will put an ass whuppin' on an inch of ice, for those of you who don't know that.   

I'm hoping the ice holds off a couple weeks anyway, cause i'm shipping my flasher out today for some repairs.  Won't go fishing without it.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I love it how EVERYONE is an expert on this stuff.  I just had to stir the pot a little bit.  A good wind will put an ass whuppin' on an inch of ice, for those of you who don't know that.   

I'm hoping the ice holds off a couple weeks anyway, cause i'm shipping my flasher out today for some repairs.  Won't go fishing without it.

They have places for people like you.... *hint* ends in "asylum..."

Offline IntenseAngler_MI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:04 PM »
You'll have to explain what you mean cause I don't understand

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2010, 04:50 PM »
You'll have to explain what you mean cause I don't understand

Another hint* starts with "Insane"

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:12 PM »
wind,sun, rain cold don't really care I just want some good ice to fish on I hope you agree with that ;) and if not to bad

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:17 PM »
There is no wind, but we need some single digits to get it done

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:41 PM »
There is no wind, but we need some single digits to get it done

No, actually low temps can't make ice............Ok now let's start arguing again ;D

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I'm sorry I guess I don't get it. Just stating that lower temps would be very helpful right now

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I'm sorry I guess I don't get it. Just stating that lower temps would be very helpful right now

It was just a joke buddy. Just trying to show how people who like to argue will dispute anything  ;)  (I'm guilty of it my self)

Offline woodstock1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Anyone ever seen black-ice on a road without sub freezing temps "from wind chill" moving across wet spots.Answer that please..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.