The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Spring bobbers  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spring bobbers
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Anyone have any favorites? I need new ones. Any suggestions?
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:59 PM »
These are favorite. I have them on all my rods that have spring bobbers on them

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:05 PM »
quote author=Whale79 link=topic=124032.msg1216703#msg1216703 date=1260920927]
[/quote]

last year i went to tight lining since i haven't had much luck with spring bobbers, this year I'm trying the st.croix spring bobber/ mod to your original pole. This looks like a great setup so far but need to get out and try it, if this doesn't work then i go for a custom rod

Offline IceArmorGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Im not a big fan of spring bobbers, they get water in them and just freeze shut i got a real sensitive frabill poles and i just tight line with my Marcum id rather fish on feel but its all personal preference

Offline camocladicebuster13.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Frabill Makes a good one and so does bic lighters, look for the full size bic lighters used and run outta fluid. Take apart and you got the same as frabil spring. Heat shrink tubing affixes them nice. A lil orange model paint and you gotta nice spring bober.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Catch plenty of flak here for nipping the tip but work in the Scout better for me, no ice build up, adjustable sensitivity. Basic concept, bobber type/weight range varies for target species. Use various types on numerous different rod lengths from  www.yourbobbersdown.com

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:31 AM »
I use

http://www.actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html. I tried 4 different brands last year, and found this was the best as there was no ice build up......They are also made right here in Michigan in Grand Haven....$5....I run 2 poles with Ultra-light action and my walley rod with medium action.....The only thing i dont like is how it is mounted, but i wrapped that around the rod, then added some thread to make it permanent.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I use
(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html. I tried 4 different brands last year, and found this was the best as there was no ice build up......They are also made right here in Michigan in Grand Haven....$5....I run 2 poles with Ultra-light action and my walley rod with medium action.....The only thing i dont like is how it is mounted, but i wrapped that around the rod, then added some thread to make it permanent.
yeah that! by far the best one i have used
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:51 AM »

Prior to using Micro-ultra-light rods that are more sensitive than a spring, I use to remove the springs from ink-pens, then twist them onto my rods and either shring tuble or a drop of glue to hold em solid. They are free and work wonders!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:14 AM »
I have several different kinds of spring bobbers. I try to match them with the sensitivity of the pole. I do like the ones that I soldered to the tip. It is a twisted wire with some beads on it so you can see it move easier.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:24 AM »
One suggestion when using a spring bobber is to watch how the line "Coils" off the end of the spring. Now that I have ditched the spring bobbers I have learned to watch the coil off the last eye. Most times the coil will stiffen or lighten without the spring bobber or rod tip even moving at all. Especially tru when crappie swim "up" on a bait which prevents all but the most sensitive rod from "bobbing", but if you are watching the line coil off the end of the rod/bobber you see it change giving you a chance to set the hook quicker in turn upping your hooking percentages.  :tipup:

RL

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Think many I've chatted with here are, basically line watchers with an ultra-sensitive bobber set-up that really would prefer to sight fish if practical. Just covering as many variables as possible

Offline camocladicebuster13.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Yeah i do love sight fishing its fun watching them swim in and grab a bait oh by the way i'm fishing tonight!
 Whooo HOO here i come fish>

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Think many I've chatted with here are, basically line watchers with an ultra-sensitive bobber set-up that really would prefer to sight fish if practical. Just covering as many variables as possible
Agreed! I happen to think that I mostly use the spring bobbers on the pole that is stationary on the floor of my shanty. While holding one pole I glance over to the other. The spring helps me see whats going on. If I have a minnow on I expect it to be moving a little. If it is not moving, I give it a Jig to get it swimming again.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline IceArmorGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:33 PM »
I usually just keep my eyes glued to the vx-1pro

Offline wormman_84725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Agreed! I happen to think that I mostly use the spring bobbers on the pole that is stationary on the floor of my shanty. While holding one pole I glance over to the other. The spring helps me see whats going on. If I have a minnow on I expect it to be moving a little. If it is not moving, I give it a Jig to get it swimming again.

I've seen spring bobbers on the Ice-N-Easy rod.  It sits on the ice or floor like you were saying, and they have the spring bobber with each rod.  They have a website you could look at.  www.iceneasyrods.com

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Me too. Bass Pro sells something very similar.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10203691____SearchResults

I use
(Image removed from quote.)
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I got the bright idea of using a spring from a zippo last year and i love it. it beats any store bought spring bobber i have ever bought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.