Author Topic: Griswold area (unfortunate)  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Griswold area (unfortunate)
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:40 PM »
There's been a lot of hubbub on this forum lately about sharing ice reports to save gas $$$, so I'm just trying to do my part.  Here goes...  I ponied up the gas and scouted three ponds in the Griswold area, all with grim results, including a cove that is usually my go-to early/late in the season when ice is hard to find.  A couple spots that had over a solid foot last Sunday afternoon were open water today - I was amazed how much damage a few warm, foggy days can do.  Even with a 9-foot plank, I could easily smack through all the ice I saw with my spud bar, not more than 1"-1.5".  Let's put it this way - I didn't even bother to get the auger out or step off of the plank at any of the spots I tried (the plank even sunk at a few).  I did see a couple nutjobs fishing on Pachaug on what seemed to be a solitary sheet of ice, but I have no idea how they got out there, and the ice couldn't have been more than an inch or so thick, which is not my idea of a good time.
I know that everyone has their own opinion on what constitutes as "safe ice," but I personally won't be going out this weekend in the Griswold area, or anywhere south of there for that matter.  To be honest, I would've tried harder and been one of those nutjobs on Pachaug a few years ago, but I have three young kids at home and am a Niners fan who would rather focus on the Superbowl this Sunday...  Best of luck to any of you who make it out in eastern CT this weekend.  Head north! 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Griswold area (unfortunate)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Thank you for your report, grim though it is. If everybody pitches in we can share info on most of the lakes in the state.

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:43 PM »
There's been a lot of hubbub on this forum lately about sharing ice reports to save gas $$$, so I'm just trying to do my part.  Here goes...  I ponied up the gas and scouted three ponds in the Griswold area, all with grim results, including a cove that is usually my go-to early/late in the season when ice is hard to find.  A couple spots that had over a solid foot last Sunday afternoon were open water today - I was amazed how much damage a few warm, foggy days can do.  Even with a 9-foot plank, I could easily smack through all the ice I saw with my spud bar, not more than 1"-1.5".  Let's put it this way - I didn't even bother to get the auger out or step off of the plank at any of the spots I tried (the plank even sunk at a few).  I did see a couple nutjobs fishing on Pachaug on what seemed to be a solitary sheet of ice, but I have no idea how they got out there, and the ice couldn't have been more than an inch or so thick, which is not my idea of a good time.
I know that everyone has their own opinion on what constitutes as "safe ice," but I personally won't be going out this weekend in the Griswold area, or anywhere south of there for that matter.  To be honest, I would've tried harder and been one of those nutjobs on Pachaug a few years ago, but I have three young kids at home and am a Niners fan who would rather focus on the Superbowl this Sunday...  Best of luck to any of you who make it out in eastern CT this weekend.  Head north!

I was hoping to check out Pachaug tomorrow or sunday. With the cold weather today and the low temps tonight it can make an inch or two so they say. I may tie a rope off if I do. Thank you for the update.
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I think it was too windy today to make any ice, and it's blowing like a mother out right now...  Good luck if you go though.  I'm shooting for next weekend if it stays cold (or a sick day in the middle of this week).

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I can always take time off. Good thing about my job and I still get paid
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:43 PM »
theres not much ice on pachaug, be ware

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Hey I see that you checked three ponds including pachaug did you happen to look at beach pond if so how was the ice near the ramp area, thinking about heading up that way sunday pm. thanks

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 PM »
did not check beach pond probably the same as thre others little ice lol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:03 AM »
I didn't check Beach Pond either.  All of the waterbodies I saw on the way up were open, as were most of Pachaug, Ashland, and Hopeville.  I would assume Beach is probably the same, or if there is ice it's spotty and thin.  Depressing but I'd rather not take a swim until summer. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:06 AM »
Sarge - If we make some ice this weekend and it stays cold, PM me if you wanna try to get out one day this week.  I can probably swing a day off this week or next.

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:06 AM »
Sarge - If we make some ice this weekend and it stays cold, PM me if you wanna try to get out one day this week.  I can probably swing a day off this week or next.

I can go when ever. I am my own boss. I run all the army recruiting centers on the eastern side of the state so I can kinda do my own thing.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:16 AM »
If you're looking for a pike pond that will be safe this weekend and are willing to drive, I usually go to a pond in VT that's right off I91 early/late in the year when there's no ice around here (by safe I mean you won't have to walk on eggshells all day).  Deweys Pond in Hartland, VT, less than 3 hours from here.  There's a bait shop (Mike's Bait I think?) right off the highway where you can get shiners/license, and the pond is 5 mins from there.  Let me know if you want more details.  There are probably places to fish that are closer, but you'll be worrying about falling through all day.

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Thank you for the info. I'm always looking to go to new places. Ill have to chck it out one of these weekends.

Offline PIKEASORIS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Checked Pachaug early this afternoon I walked out of the Club cove wich was difficult due to the edges even with the 16 foot plank I leave there all year.Ventured out to the main body of the pond and to my disgust only 1 and a half to 2 inches of Black Ice.The drawdown is as low as ive ever seen it.Was hoping to get on tomorow But Ill be playing it safe and wait till next weekend.

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:03 AM »
That you for the update on ice conditions. I was hoping to get out today but it is not worth risking your life or anyone elses. Unfortunately I wont be able to fish here as I will be in Maine. I may be able to fish Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.