Author Topic: Fab'd a new wood stove  (Read 1588 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fab'd a new wood stove
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Stayed after work and built a new wood stove this evening...nice to work at a fab shop.  Designed it at home using google sketch up and cnc plasma burned the pcs.  Went together very nice.  I did violate ice shack rule #1 "keep it light" and used 1/4" steel.  It's what I could buy at scrap price and I won't ever have to worry about it warping or burning out.  If I ever build another one it would probably be 10 ga stainless but it would have warped a lot more during weld out.  The stove will sit behind my axle and will help reduce my tongue weight.  All I have to do is paint it with 2000F stove paint and figure out my chimney pipe situation.  Almost forgot I need to fab a thin gage "ash tray" to slide in small bottom door.

Stove is 10" wide, 17" deep and 15" tall. Installed a baffle 2" below the top / chimney plate (you can see the baffle in the sketch up iso - I left the sides off in the 3D model.).  I actually made it about 1" smaller compared to how I modeled it so it would fit the plate size better.  Going with a 3" chimney - hope that works.  Originally modeled it with 4" but may end up going with a thin wall pipe for a chimney so I wanted diameter smaller.

Been using the Mr. Buddy for heat while I'm working to finish the shack up.  Saturday it was practically raining inside the shack from the propane moisture.  So looking forward to wood heat and hitting the ice for the shack's maiden voyage.  Being 1/4" plate it will take a while to warm up but once warm I'm hoping the mass of the plate will help to control temp consistency a bit better than a thin gage stove would accomplish (I've seen some guys put buckets of rocks on ice shack stoves for this reason).

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fab'd a new wood stove
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Looks like a frickin bank vault, what's the combo?

Very nice work man!

<°)))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:56 PM »
That's a beauty, Hawker and really speaks of your expertise, Sir.      :thumbsup:

I've seen larger from 1/2" plate w/fire brick liner destroyed in 3 weeks and a 'Safety-Kleen' 30 g. solvent bbl go 23 yrs w/a Sotz kit and thermotsat.

It certainly appears ~ this isn't your first 'rodeo', ha. 

A few here have a thermostat to prevent 'run-away'. Something to consider.   :o

Is that a secondary air intake below the smoke shelf?  Looks to be 2" on the back panel of the firebox.    ???

Do you plan on woven sealer on the doors?   Helps with complete shut-down, if ever needed.    :whistle:

Is the door air control free spinning or on threads with friction and an internal heat shield, to avoid it having a mind of it's own, ha?   :woot:

Will you be using exhaust manifold paint and the first slow burn outdoors?

Sure appears durable enough for you grand kids.     :roflmao:

I'll stop ~ Stay safe...   ;)2

Tom

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:43 AM »

My replies below - T-Hawker.

That's a beauty, Hawker and really speaks of your expertise, Sir.      :thumbsup:

I've seen larger from 1/2" plate w/fire brick liner destroyed in 3 weeks and a 'Safety-Kleen' 30 g. solvent bbl go 23 yrs w/a Sotz kit and thermotsat.  T-HAWKER: Hoping this one lasts a long time.

It certainly appears ~ this isn't your first 'rodeo', ha. 

A few here have a thermostat to prevent 'run-away'. Something to consider.   :o  T-Hawker: If a thermostat = a chimney pipe damper then yes I plan to install one to prevent a run-away as well as hopefully be able to throttle it down to not cook me out of the shack.

Is that a secondary air intake below the smoke shelf?  Looks to be 2" on the back panel of the firebox.    ???   T-Hawker: Yes it is a secondary air intake.  It's 1 3/8" I believe.  I sized it so I could weld a T.O.E. nipple on it.  I cut four 3/8" wide notches in the threaded end of the pipe and I can screw / unscrew a pipe cap on the nipple to adjust the amount of draft into the secondary intake.  I bit putsy and I probably should have just used the same "spinner type" as I used on the front.

Do you plan on woven sealer on the doors?   Helps with complete shut-down, if ever needed.    :whistle:   T-Hawker: I'm not planning on sealing the doors.  They fit very flat so I'm hoping I don't need a seal.

Is the door air control free spinning or on threads with friction and an internal heat shield, to avoid it having a mind of it's own, ha?   :woot:

T-Hawker: Door air control was just mocked in place for the photo. Final version will have a longer bolt put in from the back side of the door (threads to outside of stove)  "Outboard" of the spinner I will have a compression spring, washer and nut on that bolt to keep tension on the spinner.

Will you be using exhaust manifold paint and the first slow burn outdoors?  T-Hawker:  Bought Rustoleum rated for 2000F and yes I plan an initial firing / hot burn outside to burn off the paint...probably with a 12 pack of Miller Lite and a few friends and make an event out of it :-)

Sure appears durable enough for you grand kids.     :roflmao:   T-Hawker: Let's hope so.

I'll stop ~ Stay safe...   ;)2

Tom

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Looks like a frickin bank vault, what's the combo?

Very nice work man!

<°)))>{

T-Hawker: Thanks - not sure what you mean with "what's the combo"?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:21 AM »
T-Hawker: Thanks - not sure what you mean with "what's the combo"?

The combination to the safe! Lol

<°)))>{

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:49 AM »
You're certainly a craftsman, good luck with it.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Great looking heater.  Lucky to be able to cnc the bits, I have to hand plasma parts in my garage.  Heat it up good before you paint.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.