New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otisco No Stocking Walleyes  (Read 961 times)

Offline oldred

• IceShanty Rookie
Otisco No Stocking Walleyes
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:23 AM »
This summer we moved back to NY after a couple years in NH. Reading through the message board I read the State is no longer putting walleyes in Otisco and put in lakers to deal with the alewives. Is that temporary or what? I used to live in Spafford so Otisco was my go to lake and although never successful I enjoyed putting in hours trying to pull an 'eye out of there. Living closer to Syracuse now I suppose I will make the trek to Oneida when we get ice.
"Que scais-je?"

Offline oldred

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otisco No Stocking Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Googled the answer to Otisco Walleye. According to a 4/7/17 DEC letter to Otisco Volunteer Angler Diary Cooperators the lake is stocked with 44,000 50 day fingerlings biannually and was due to be stocked this year. I could find nothing about lake trout in Otisco and that low oxygen levels in the lakes colder water probably can't support brown trout through the summer so I likely misread or misremembered reading something about lakers being stocked.
"Que scais-je?"

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:28 PM »
There are brown trout in Otisco, check under the reports and conditions page under past posts for good info. Lakers, you'll probably have to try Skaneateles or any of the more Western finger lakes.

Offline crazyrider546

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Think COLDDDDD
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Yes ive caught browns in otisco and never heard that they were stocking lakers. I would hope not. those bait fish are what makes those walleyes and muskie so big!!

Offline rlejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:36 PM »
To bad no stocking walleyes

Offline crazyrider546

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Think COLDDDDD
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:03 AM »
To bad no stocking walleyes

They do stock walleyes

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:01 AM »
Walleyes are stocked biannually, 44,000
 Oldred  if your looking to ice eyes,  Oneida is the lake to hit , check out MFF, Oneida lake it is the soft water site , as for ice fishing check out (ice fishing friends and more) , there is no longer a Oneida lake diehards page on IS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.