The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227944 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #570 on: Mar 01, 2016, 02:17 PM »
What is the definitive answer on bringing my boat up from colorado to wyoming?

I have read that if I have my boat sealed and the receipt from colo I dont need to stop at the border for an inspection?

Or if I am coming up 287 and the Laramie inspection is closed am I OK with just the seal and receipt?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #571 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Inspected or not, you absolutely must stop whenever you come to an open watercraft inspection station.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #572 on: Mar 30, 2016, 07:37 AM »
it's illegal to bypass a check station, no matter if you have been inspected or not.  If you have been inspected in Colorado and have a valid seal and receipt, the process is much quicker.  Also, if you have been inspected and sealed in Colorado, and you do not come by a check station in Wyoming, you are good to go, just keep the seal and receipt in your boat with you.  At least, that's how it was when I was doing boat inspections.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #573 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:20 PM »
it's illegal to bypass a check station, no matter if you have been inspected or not.  If you have been inspected in Colorado and have a valid seal and receipt, the process is much quicker.  Also, if you have been inspected and sealed in Colorado, and you do not come by a check station in Wyoming, you are good to go, just keep the seal and receipt in your boat with you.  At least, that's how it was when I was doing boat inspections.

Thats what I wondered because Ill be dragging my boat up 287 in the wee hours and the port of entry there doesnt do boat inspections.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #574 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Wyoming Ice Shanty members,

Looking forward to answering questions on waters within the Laramie Fish Management Region.  Waters within the region include Grayrocks, Laramie Plains Lakes, #3, Hawk Springs, Curt Gowdy lakes, Cheyenne lakes, Rob Roy, Saratoga Lake, Diamond Lake and of course many more in the Snowy Range and eastern plains.  Everyone be safe on the hardwater this season!

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Wy fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #575 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:01 PM »
I have a question on boat inspecting. I have some freinds from Ne. Coming to wy to fish and no check stations are open at the time they enter. Can they self inspect and go fishing? If not what do they do when there is no check station open at the port of entry or lake. This is usually the case early and late in the season.

Offline BillFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #576 on: Dec 29, 2016, 01:15 PM »
How are the perch and walleye doing in Rock Lake near Wheatland this year?

Offline rhtollison23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #577 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Is it illegal to use a gaff on Burbot?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #578 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Dear rhtollison23,

Always a great idea to consult the regulations and your local game warden.  The only place in the current Wyoming fishing regulations it mentions gaffs is for Flaming Gorge Reservoir, where the use or possession of a gaff is prohibited.

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #579 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:53 PM »
I have a question on boat inspecting. I have some freinds from Ne. Coming to wy to fish and no check stations are open at the time they enter. Can they self inspect and go fishing? If not what do they do when there is no check station open at the port of entry or lake. This is usually the case early and late in the season.

Dear Wy fishing nut,

Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from March 1 through November 30 must undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching.  Any watercraft that has been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussels within the last 30 days, is required to undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching during ALL months of the year.  Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from December 1 through the last day of February that HAS NOT been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussel within the past thirty (30) days and did not encounter a mandatory aquatic invasive species check station prior to reaching a water of the state, may launch without a mandatory inspection.  All watercraft must have a valid Wyoming AIS decal before boating on any waters of the state. Decals are available online, at regional offices and at automated license vendors.

Your friend can find authorized inspectors at all Wyoming Game and Fish offices and there are also authorized private inspectors as well.  You can find a list of inspection locations, list of infested waters, and more information at the link below.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating/Aquatic-Invasive-Species-Prevention/AIS-Boating-Information

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #580 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:58 PM »
One thing that would really help is if you had people at the check stations a couple hours before the sun comes up. A lot of people including myself like to get there early as usually the best fishing is early and I haven't been able to fish my favorite lake since you implemented the check stations because no one is there at 4:30 or 5 in the morning in the summer.
Dear Wy fishing nut,

Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from March 1 through November 30 must undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching.  Any watercraft that has been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussels within the last 30 days, is required to undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized inspector prior to launching during ALL months of the year.  Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from December 1 through the last day of February that HAS NOT been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussel within the past thirty (30) days and did not encounter a mandatory aquatic invasive species check station prior to reaching a water of the state, may launch without a mandatory inspection.  All watercraft must have a valid Wyoming AIS decal before boating on any waters of the state. Decals are available online, at regional offices and at automated license vendors.

Your friend can find authorized inspectors at all Wyoming Game and Fish offices and there are also authorized private inspectors as well.  You can find a list of inspection locations, list of infested waters, and more information at the link below.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating/Aquatic-Invasive-Species-Prevention/AIS-Boating-Information

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #581 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:59 PM »
How are the perch and walleye doing in Rock Lake near Wheatland this year?

Dear BillFisher,

Rock Lake was sampled with nets in 2015 and the Walleye averaged almost 20 inches. The largest Walleye caught was over 28 inches and weight 8.5 pounds.  The perch were not as abundant as in years past, so they might still be on a down cycle this year.  Channel Catfish captured averaged over 17 inches.  The Largemouth Bass were not super abundant, but there were a couple of big bucket mouths in there over 5 pounds.  It is stocked annually with 6,000 fingerling Walleye and with Channel Catfish when they are available from out-of-state sources.

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #582 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Could someone please clarify an issue with regulations for goldeneye reservoir in Natrona county. It is referred to by both names in the regs ? Burlington listed as closed and goldeneye under special ice provisions? One says the reservoir is closed for the winter ?

Offline dub307

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines
« Reply #583 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:30 PM »
As most all fisherman I am looking for the biggest minnow to fish with in a lot of cases when chasing the big fish.  Buying from local tackle shops for minnows does not always offer the consumer very big minnows.  So my question is can someone buy minnows in bulk, something like 100-500 minnows at a time. I was curious if I could have a garage setup with something like a trough as a tank and raise the minnows to be bigger then legally fish with?  What are the legal steps to do this if it's even allowed?

Offline edan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #584 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:24 PM »
In the early 70s kokanee were introduced into palisades reservoir an are still found to a small amount spawning at big elk creek. I was woundering if wyo could start planting them again to improve the fishing in the lake

Offline jstim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #585 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Hello G&F, is there a website that lists what kind of forage is in the Flaming Gorge, Green River and Black Forks River. Forage regarding types of plankton, bait fish, and native aquatic and terrestrial insects. If no website, any other resource would be much appreciated. Trying to up my fishing knowledge of local waters. Thank You.

Offline Rmills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #586 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Great information!!

Offline jstim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #587 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for the response G&F, appreciate it.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #588 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Could someone please clarify an issue with regulations for goldeneye reservoir in Natrona county. It is referred to by both names in the regs ? Burlington listed as closed and goldeneye under special ice provisions? One says the reservoir is closed for the winter ?

Goldeneye Res used to be called burlington lake on the old maps.  It is my understanding that when a dam and canal were created to raise the water level it then became known as goldeneye reservoir.  It is the one we stock about 20 miles west of town at the goldeneye wildlife and recreation area.  Burlington reservoir, on the other hand, is just nothwest of the town of powder river.  It was once a thriving fishery, but has silted in greatly and is no longer stocked.  The access agreement to cross private lands to access burlington required the winter closure which is why it was listed as closed.  There are no such restrictions to access goldeneye, it is open 24/7/365 with statewide creel limits.  6 lines are allowed through the ice but live minnows are prohibited.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #589 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty WGFDcasper! Glad to have you aboard! We all appreciate the time you fellows take to come in an answer questions when you can, thank you! :tipup:

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #590 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:52 AM »
As most all fisherman I am looking for the biggest minnow to fish with in a lot of cases when chasing the big fish.  Buying from local tackle shops for minnows does not always offer the consumer very big minnows.  So my question is can someone buy minnows in bulk, something like 100-500 minnows at a time. I was curious if I could have a garage setup with something like a trough as a tank and raise the minnows to be bigger then legally fish with?  What are the legal steps to do this if it's even allowed?

When you purchase minnows you get a receipt that is valid for either 15 days (wild caught) or 30 days (commercial fatheads).  You are required to kill those fish when the receipt expires.  If you want to keep minnows longer than that you have two options.  You can buy a seining/trapping license and catch your own minnows.  You can keep and use those minnows as long as you have a valid license.  Your second option is to buy a bait dealer license.  You can purchase minnows in bulk from another dealer, and hold them to try and grow them.  You would also be allowed to sell minnows which might offset the cost of purchasing a bunch. 

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #591 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Now that ling are classified as a non-game fish on flaming gorge can we use them as bait?
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #592 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11:40 PM »
SO? the minnows trapped on a seining/trapping permit in the fall of 2016 are legal in 2017 with a  new permit?
olefish

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Goldeneye Res used to be called burlington lake on the old maps.  It is my understanding that when a dam and canal were created to raise the water level it then became known as goldeneye reservoir.  It is the one we stock about 20 miles west of town at the goldeneye wildlife and recreation area.  Burlington reservoir, on the other hand, is just nothwest of the town of powder river.  It was once a thriving fishery, but has silted in greatly and is no longer stocked.  The access agreement to cross private lands to access burlington required the winter closure which is why it was listed as closed.  There are no such restrictions to access goldeneye, it is open 24/7/365 with statewide creel limits.  6 lines are allowed through the ice but live minnows are prohibited.
.   Thanks for the feed back on this topic.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #594 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:04 PM »
SO? the minnows trapped on a seining/trapping permit in the fall of 2016 are legal in 2017 with a  new permit?

Yep.  Top of page 10 in the 2017 regulations "Wild caught live baitfish may be held indefinitely by the holder of a valid, unexpired seining license, but shall not be released, abandoned or allowed to escape".  So as long as you renew your seining license before the end of the year, you can keep the minnows you captured and use them as long as you can keep them alive.

Offline Wyo_Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #595 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Now that ling are classified as a non-game fish on flaming gorge can we use them as bait?

+1

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #596 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Yep.  Top of page 10 in the 2017 regulations "Wild caught live baitfish may be held indefinitely by the holder of a valid, unexpired seining license, but shall not be released, abandoned or allowed to escape".  So as long as you renew your seining license before the end of the year, you can keep the minnows you captured and use them as long as you can keep them alive.
Thank you
olefish

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #597 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Confirm or deny pleaser of this is true it's incredible. Also highly illegal for the persons that planted them in the lake but dang. If there's one you can almost guarantee there's others. But pathfinder is a very large a deep piece of water. What a catch

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #598 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Well it is a sturgeon but not sure which species.  Is this fake news or real?  I mean is the location fake?  Must be.

s

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #599 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:20 PM »
It's a lake sturgeon that has a spear in its back. I think they get them out in Wisconsin.

http://midwestfisherman.blogspot.com/2011/12/sturgeon-spearing-2012.html
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.