Author Topic: Help on what type of line to spool this reel with  (Read 2403 times)

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help on what type of line to spool this reel with
« on: Oct 29, 2015, 03:07 PM »
So I've started prepping for the ice season and am looking at buying this heavy duty rod and reel combo from Frabill
http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/ice-rods-reels-combos/combos/ice-hunterr-seri-584.html

I was wondering what type of line and leader would you guys recommend for this?  Thanks
DILLY DILLY

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Help on what type of line to spool this reel with
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2015, 05:27 AM »
It sort of depends on what exactly your are going to do with it. Certainly you're after pike but I'm wondering: jigging (hard or soft lures), live bait, dead bait, active or deadstick.

I like a fused superline, Fireline is an example but there are others. Zero memory, holds a lot less water than braid an if treated with a silicone fly line dressing ices very little. My preference for pike leaders is well known: wire. Pound test would depend on the application but I could really fish 20# test uncoated stranded wire and not feel compromised.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Thanks esox_xtm

I'm planning on jigging hard bodied lures tipped with shiners as well as lighter jigs such as buckshots.  I'm experimenting with different minnow-bodied lures that weigh up to 2.65 ounces, so a stable rod helps out a lot.
DILLY DILLY

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Intriguing.... Hard baits up to 2.5 oz or so? Are we talkin' Giant Chubby Darters? I've got three and they have yet to get wet. My ice time has been extremely limited these past few years.

I do have some extensive experience jigging large plastics for muskies during the open water times and have a large amount of confidence in that. I'd be curious to hear a few presentation details if you'd care to share.

I did build a jig rod capable of the Chubbys but I don't think it'll handle the 7 oz Bondys. Jon does have some new, smaller offerings that might work; specifically the mini Wobbler. Great action on the drop and, really, the right profile overall.

And yes, you have confused me (only just a little bit) WalleyeAdventurer posting on the Northern Pike thread? Hmmmmm.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2015, 09:18 PM »
On my jig sticks I run 20# coated braid (Tuf-Line Duracast(Now named Super Cast)) and black titanium 7 strand wire leaders.

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_Tuf-Lines_23.html

My wire leaders come from: www.finn-tasticcanada.com
Drop Larry an email through the contact link and he'll hook you up.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Thanks guys and yeah I'm trying my hand at pike as well as walleye this year but with more time spent towards pike this year.
The hard bodied baits I'll be using are actually meant for ocean jigging and resemble herring.  They're about 4 inches long and have built in flash that should bring fish in.
They're similar to this but not the exact coloration:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gavia+saltwater+lure+set&safe=strict&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI6_SE9PzxyAIVBfceCh2WQQZ4#safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=gavia+saltwater+lure+&imgrc=dP_dPvkiSBkZ-M%3A
DILLY DILLY

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2015, 05:01 AM »
I've been experimenting over the past few years jigging for pike/walleye. A good compromise is a lipless crank, ala` Rippin' Rap or Live Target. My walleye location needs some work but pike sometimes can't stay off the jig when the tippys are useless. I think that's interesting....

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:00 AM »
I've been experimenting over the past few years jigging for pike/walleye. A good compromise is a lipless crank, ala` Rippin' Rap or Live Target. My walleye location needs some work but pike sometimes can't stay off the jig when the tippys are useless. I think that's interesting....

One of my favorite lures for pike are the big Lindy Darters.
Pike just love those things!!!
  ;)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Thanks guys for the tips.  Can't wait for ice!
DILLY DILLY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.