Author Topic: Braided Leader Line  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Braided Leader Line
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Does anybody use braided leader line for pike while tip up fishing?  I switched from steel leaders to mono leader and my amount of flags tripled.  Problem is that from time to time I will get a good sized fish and get bit off with the mono.  I started with 20 lb, went to 25 lb and am now up to 30 lb mono.  When I upgraded to the 25 lb I noticed that the leader line would get nicked up but I was still able to land the fish a majority of the time and retie.  I lost a really really nice fish a few weeks ago with 30 lb. mono.  Was wondering if anyone uses braided line and what your results were.  I know it will freeze up once out of the hole but I'm curious as if it decreases the amount of flags you get.  Thinner then steel leaders but seems like it would be hard for the pike's teeth to saw it off.  Thanks for your help.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Braided Leader Line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:49 AM »
I've used some 50lb braid leader made by Berkeley and can say they hold up well on pike. But you will be going backwards on your catch rate I would think as they are kind of thick. Some claim that using stainless steel wire is a better substitute, that it can add flash that may attract fish and less prone to breakage due to abrasion. 

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:19 PM »
For the # test you would need to be bite proof, steel is thinner than braid. Mono and fluoro is more bite resistant than braid. Try some Cortland toothy critter in 10#. Its as thin as any braid you would use, and as bite proof as they come. I use 20# just because thats all I find, but I have used 10# in the past with no problems. One cool idea I saw on the lake gives the best of both worlds. Use about 3" of steel leader from your hook, then some thinner mono, and tie that to your mainline with a swivel. The short section of steel was apparently enough to keep bite offs away, yet it was small enough to not draw attention. I've never tried it however, and don't plan to. I've been using fluorocarbon all season, and was not that impressed. On some days, it did get the fish, but most days did not matter. I used 50# fluorocarbon, and still had bite offs. And I play fish gently. All it takes is a tooth in the right place, especially on the knot. I'm thinking of having a few leaders tied up of 80# mono next year, but I'm going back to mostly steel leader. While I fish pressured water, in the stained lakes I fish, it just does not matter much. Casting and trolling open water I did not notice any difference at all. I should have kept a journal, but I don't think it would matter. Whats more important in pike fishing is location followed distantly by bait.
-Tom

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Buy Knot2 kinky one time it is titanium and tiable. You will never look back it is pricey but well worth it. TRY IT!!!
Monster Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2014, 08:28 AM »
I should mention fluorocarbon makes you pay through the nose. From what I see, it is not much better than mono. The only difference is fluoro sinks and mono floats, not that big a deal with the big baits you use on pike. The thing is you have to get "leader". The regular spools of mono and fluoro are soft to use on a reel, and are not nearly as bite resistant as the real leader material. Steel and mono are both cheap compared to fluoro. You have to remember, you constantly shorten mono by retying. Steel can last a whole season. I also prefer shorter leaders with steel. I use about 2' on a tip up, or 12" when casting. While mono i put about 6' on a tip up, and nearly 18" when casting. This is so I can re tie it.
-Tom

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2014, 02:07 PM »
i've been using micro leaders i think they were by eagle claw... they a 45# but are  smaller gauge than a lot of other steel leader of the same # test.
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I should mention fluorocarbon makes you pay through the nose. From what I see, it is not much better than mono. The only difference is fluoro sinks and mono floats, not that big a deal with the big baits you use on pike. The thing is you have to get "leader". The regular spools of mono and fluoro are soft to use on a reel, and are not nearly as bite resistant as the real leader material. Steel and mono are both cheap compared to fluoro. You have to remember, you constantly shorten mono by retying. Steel can last a whole season. I also prefer shorter leaders with steel. I use about 2' on a tip up, or 12" when casting. While mono i put about 6' on a tip up, and nearly 18" when casting. This is so I can re tie it.
Wondering why you use 2' of steel on a tipup? Advantage to such a long leader that I'm not thinking of?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:13 PM »
It just feels like a good length to me, that's all. Really all you need is about 4" to keep it out of the teeth. Then I add room for spinners, weight, etc. Somewhere in the 1'-2' is my favorite. On my quick strike rigs, I have about 6" on either side.
-Tom

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I use braided for everything. I never lost any fish due to line breaking. I almost did but before i put my tip up in I noticed it was frayed really bad. It was dangling by a piece of thread. I grabbed another tip up and was about to put it on the ice and flag went up. Luckily I noticed it was frayed otherwise when i set the hook it would of snapped.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.