Author Topic: I "can" see...I "can" see!!!  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
I "can" see...I "can" see!!!
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 03:29 AM »
To keep the snow and rain off your locator screen, try using a tin can over it. The 30oz. variety works well on my Vex Fl-8. There is just enough taper on the unit to allow a nice fit. If it is to loose, attach a little Velcro...I remember having to do this in the past. Going to paint it as well.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: I "can" see...I "can" see!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:29 AM »
 Yes sir they work great , I found if you spray the inside flat black it’s much easier to see ,
1 lb  coffee cans fit perfect

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Those tin cans rust out so fast.get yourself a piece of black pvc pipe in the size you need.ive got one laying around here iceassin if i see you out on a lake around here you can have it.ran it on my fl18.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Learn something all the time from this site......Cool idea.......do you put this over the plastic 'cover' then, or just bag the clear weather guard....mine is getting kind of cloudy looking anyway, its so much brighter when that things is off.....Thanks.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Learn something all the time from this site......Cool idea.......do you put this over the plastic 'cover' then, or just bag the clear weather guard....mine is getting kind of cloudy looking anyway, its so much brighter when that things is off.....Thanks.

No weather guard...works fine without.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Yes sir they work great , I found if you spray the inside flat black it’s much easier to see ,
1 lb  coffee cans fit perfect

That's what I did and will do this time also F&R. I also apply a few coats of Plasti Dip spray coating. This stuff works great...tough as nails!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Those tin cans rust out so fast.get yourself a piece of black pvc pipe in the size you need.ive got one laying around here iceassin if i see you out on a lake around here you can have it.ran it on my fl18.

Thanks Doc, but this thing has worked well in the past. Besides, I already have enough weight on my locator having made an extended handle out of 1" PVC. But if I see you, I'll still look you up.  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2018, 12:57 PM »

I don’t use a vex anymore but still have some of those coffee cans laying around lol

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2018, 10:14 PM »
This just gave me the idea of putting the aquavu camera monitor inside a can or box instead of the nearly useless sun cover or opening up my jacket to use for shading. It might see some more use this winter if I do that, and get/make a camera panner. I hole hop, but my friends just sit and wait for flags so they can use it and keep busy lol.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Thanks Doc, but this thing has worked well in the past. Besides, I already have enough weight on my locator having made an extended handle out of 1" PVC. But if I see you, I'll still look you up.  ;)

I like the idea of a longer handle and light weight too. I'm gonna have to make myself one. Great idea and thanks
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I like the idea of a longer handle and light weight too. I'm gonna have to make myself one. Great idea and thanks

You're welcome. I also put an extension on the handle of my plastic skimmer. Bought  a length of aluminum stock at the hardware store of the same size. I attaced that to a retractable key keeper and fastened that to the D ring on the lapel of my jacket. Trying to avoid bending over as much as possible...easier on the 'ol back ya' know. 😁

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2018, 12:57 PM »
This is a neat idea. 

Has anyone found a good sun shield for a Marcum 486 sun shield?  They send one but on sunny days you have to be in a shelter to see anything.

Offline RockyMtn.Royster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 03:14 PM »
I've used these on my FL18 several years and they work great. I wrap them in black tape and attach a tether loop with strap so I don't lose them down the hole. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.