New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cisco/Lake Herring in Upstate NY  (Read 7154 times)

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cisco/Lake Herring in Upstate NY
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:43 AM »
I haven't seen a Cisco in milsite in many many moons. Good luck to you if you go there in search of one.

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:23 PM »
our group pulled two cisco out of Chaumont yesterday.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Hi CommanderCisco...was wondering if there are any plans to  stock these cisco in some finger lakes , like maybe Keuka, or other inland lakes where many of the lake trout seem to be very thin, from i'm guessing low baitfish numbers ... Seems some of these lakes baitfish and trout numbers might be in trouble due to changing water conditions,  or invasive mussels or other factors... just curious if you think the cisco could thrive there and help these other  lakes, and their trout fisheries too.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:37 PM »

The herring from the Atlantic are different than Alewife in Lake Ontario, and I agree that Atlantic Herring pickled are great tasting, but you have to have a taste for pickled fish, and they are oilier than the perch and sunfish.   I've only had Whitefish once and it was not far from haddock in flavor, a kind of bland to sweet white flaky fish. Since it was in a restaurant, it could have come from anywhere, but I have heard that Cisco is similar.

Absolutely right - Cisco and whitefish are related to salmon so the "herring" name is misleading. They are nice, flaky, white meat fish, much different than strong flavored ocean herring. We brought some smoked cisco home for my parents this Christmas, and my mom who hates any strong flavored fish loved it! At least after I picked all the meat off for her so she didn't have to see the head  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:55 PM »
how come ciscos are bony like a herring  ...and alewives are from the atlantic ........"atlantic  herring " are the herring people catch and  pickle or smoke.....

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Through out a 4 hour period my partner and I encountered (19) such interventions varying in size from 12 inches all the way up to 20 inches. The average was over 16 inches, so I doubt they were the stocked Cisco's you mentioned in your other post, more likely native. Is that a good assumption?

Lastly, as you mentioned I did bring 2 of the Cisco's with the very intent of smoking them . I used a common salt brown sugar and cider brine to soak them over night, unfortunately, my smoker got more hot than generated smoke. They were too crispy (cooked) and i really didn't get  to enjoy the flavor or consistency of the species. I would note they are very boney. I will try again next season. Thank you for all your information on the Cisco fish populations in Lake Ontario and elsewhere. I hope this is the type of information you were looking for.

Boggey

Thanks Boggey, great info! Yes, the larger cisco you caught were probably anywhere from 4 years old (12 inchers) to 10+ years old (20 inchers). The oldest I've found in Chaumont was a 12 year old female. Although a couple of stocked fish have been recovered, they are towards the smaller end of the scale, and the vast majority of the fish are naturally spawned.

Hope the smoking goes better for you next time - the brown sugar cure is my favorite. They are bony, but I've found that if I peel the meat off the bones from the top the way you would for a small trout, most of them come out.

I'm glad you appreciate cisco and my chatter about them here!

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Hi CommanderCisco...was wondering if there are any plans to  stock these cisco in some finger lakes , like maybe Keuka, or other inland lakes where many of the lake trout seem to be very thin, from i'm guessing low baitfish numbers ... Seems some of these lakes baitfish and trout numbers might be in trouble due to changing water conditions,  or invasive mussels or other factors... just curious if you think the cisco could thrive there and help these other  lakes, and their trout fisheries too.

Hi choo choo  - Many of the Finger Lakes originally had cisco in them until the early/mid 1900's - Keuka included. I know the DEC is planning on surveying some of the Finger Lakes starting this year to see if there are still some cisco hanging around. I'm not sure if they plan to stock cisco there, but I do think they would have a chance of surviving depending on the lake. Although some of the shallower lakes they used to be in (Oneida for example) are now too warm during the summer, the deeper and colder Finger Lakes would still be cold enough for them during the hot months. The nice thing about cisco is that they are native, so they are used to our cold and unpredictable winters that the alewife are more sensitive to. They also don't have the thiaminase problem that smelt and alewife do, so lake trout and other predators are healthier when they eat cisco instead of alewife.

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Not trying to hijack this thread, but i am interested in catching cisco. I read mention of millsite a couple times, i have been interested in fishing this lake and lake of the woods for several years now. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi jlaclair - try a small jig or Swedish pimple tipped with a waxworm or a minnow head. Cisco have small mouths designed to eat zooplankton, so small hooks and baits do best. In shallower lakes like Tully Lake they are often found in the deeper holes, which I saw some folks already posted about here. Good luck, share a photo if you get one!

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Tully lake is small but the Cisco can be pretty big. Deep water straight north off the parking area or to the left on the west side. There is a big hole over there that they hang in. I've never caught one in less than 20 fow. I've seen some caught in less. But it's rare.

Awesome! I've heard from a few folks about that hole, I've tried fishing it a few times but no luck. Tully Lake is unique - most of the lakes in central NY/Finger Lakes had cisco in them before the early 1900s, but almost all of the populations in the smaller shallower lakes are gone now. Tully is a special exception. I'm not sure how they manage to stick around in there, but there must be enough of a cold water refuge for them in the summer for them to survive (a deep hole or a spring maybe?). One day I'll get one at Tully - life goals.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Hi choo choo  - Many of the Finger Lakes originally had cisco in them until the early/mid 1900's - Keuka included. I know the DEC is planning on surveying some of the Finger Lakes starting this year to see if there are still some cisco hanging around. I'm not sure if they plan to stock cisco there, but I do think they would have a chance of surviving depending on the lake. Although some of the shallower lakes they used to be in (Oneida for example) are now too warm during the summer, the deeper and colder Finger Lakes would still be cold enough for them during the hot months. The nice thing about cisco is that they are native, so they are used to our cold and unpredictable winters that the alewife are more sensitive to. They also don't have the thiaminase problem that smelt and alewife do, so lake trout and other predators are healthier when they eat cisco instead of alewife.

Hi Commander Cisco and all concerned......Just read that the DEC announced stocking changes for Keuka Lake --  "Considering the current forage (baitfish) conditions in Keuka Lake, we are temporarily discontinuing brown trout and LL atlantic salmon stocking programs".

A Cisco stocking program for Keuka Lake will start this fall 2018 according to DEC.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2019, 04:07 PM »
As stated Milsite's ciscoe are basically nonexistent due to someone introducing smelt to the lake.

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jul 15, 2019, 04:07 PM »
As stated Milsite's ciscoe are basically nonexistent due to someone introducing smelt to the lake.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Aug 11, 2019, 01:26 PM »
 Your right choochoo,  in order to successfully stock Cisco’s in Keuka they need to get the lake trout numbers under control , 1 of the reasons they lowered the size limit , Lakers  are on the thin side and now forage on perch and pans ,
 And as longlegg said very few if any Cisco’s left do to the smelt in in MS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.