New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 52831 times)

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #360 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Tomorrow will be my first day on Sandy pond any tips for a newbie like me

stay away from big holes, there were quite a few large holes out there the other day, some big enough for a human to fall in.  get a spud, stop at woodies bait store they have them for sale, big bar, with a chisel on the end, and make sure the ice is thick enough to walk on. You may want to access from the elms golf course on rt. 3, or the wigwam, at the south end of the pond, each is 5 dollar parkling fee.  there is a state launch on rt. 3 on Stanley drive, but a creek runs into the pond right there, and as much melt as we have gotten it may not be to stable. Just my opinion....
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #361 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Today was my first day on Sandy pond and i can believe how much trash there is and there even was a dead bowfin on the ice .

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:41 PM »
yeah there is a whole thread about trash in the forums somewhere.  take an extra garbage bag with you when you go out and pick up what you can.  Unfortunately there is no cure for scumbags at the moment... on another note, how did you do? how was the ice holding up??
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #363 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:53 PM »
was out today,ice was good 9 inches. watch holes they did not harden up! take your spud! as for bit. they were on fire!!! we got 100 in 3 hours, all very big we kept 10,and better. got 17 over 12. best day yet as for filling bucket ,in  short time. ;D take your sud!!!!

retired let the fishing begin

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:27 PM »
was out today,ice was good 9 inches. watch holes they did not harden up! take your spud! as for bit. they were on fire!!! we got 100 in 3 hours, all very big we kept 10,and better. got 17 over 12. best day yet as for filling bucket ,in  short time. ;D take your sud!!!!

Nice, where exactly were you fishing?  You wouldn’t happen to have grid coordinates would you??  ;D

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #365 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:03 PM »
tommy sent you PM
retired let the fishing begin

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #366 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:27 PM »
I walked out of Greene point and couth a lot of fat perch bit only one good keeper.

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #367 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Weather forcast not looking very good for next week either. A couple of days in the 50's plus rain. Grand kids and I watched the ice dissapear on Skinner Creek Tuesday morning. Might be time to get the boat ready.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #368 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Weather forcast not looking very good for next week either. A couple of days in the 50's plus rain. Grand kids and I watched the ice dissapear on Skinner Creek Tuesday morning. Might be time to get the boat ready.

gonna try to get out tomorrow and see what the deal is, hopefully it holds up, if not there is still plenty of ice up north I guess.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:20 PM »
The Mad River Club Kids Ice fishing Derby that was scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday February 26, has been cancelled due to deteriorating ice conditions.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #370 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Nice day. I will admit the pucker factor for me was a bit high. Might need a couple extra beers to calm me down.  ;) That being said got 37 really nice perch. Heard some guys to the North of me having a Real Good time. My farewell tour to The Pond. Late start ,my bad  :(. Ice thickness was great i had 8-10" just the walk that scared the S--- out of me. Nice day Im glad I went.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #371 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Glad you had fun buddy I had to fix my truck and 3nded up putting all the ice fishing stuff away hated doing it but the temps are not looking good.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #372 on: Feb 24, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Me and my wife went out today, ma6be 3 hours,  came out wit( 25. Lost a brand new jig rod and reel combo wasn’t paying attention looked over and my dangler stand was flipped over and the rod gone!  It was a little sketchy, found a couple gas hole thin ice spots, but most of it was nice thick black ice. Definately would not suggest venturing out in the dark.  Most of the ones I caught wer ten inches, sifted through a ton of dinks got 3 or 4 12 or better.  Went through a ton of Minnows, if it’s not raining too hard maybe I will hit it again tomorrow

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #373 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Greene Point is now closed for ice fishing they would like to thank everyone

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:56 AM »
hows the perch fishing when the ice is gone?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #375 on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:14 PM »
hows the perch fishing when the ice is gone?

Yo Tom,

Let's find out bud. I will get the Otter "STEALTH" out and we can park right over the top of the Homey hole when the ice clears out.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In fact TommyBoy, I am getting ready for my annual trip up to Kring's Point . Just waiting for "ice out" reports. I guess it's time to switch my efforts to the MyFishFinder site.
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Mar 01, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Yo Tom,

Let's find out bud. I will get the Otter "STEALTH" out and we can park right over the top of the Homey hole when the ice clears out.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In fact TommyBoy, I am getting ready for my annual trip up to Kring's Point . Just waiting for "ice out" reports. I guess it's time to switch my efforts to the MyFishFinder site.

Ijustneed to check my lights on my boat trailer, I installed another chair up front, so we can take that instead, more room, and it has a motor.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.